Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 11-18-2009, 03:41 PM   #1
CallMeZoot

Start Steam Client without updating?

I often use a computer with no internet access. I can play my Steam games in Offline Mode most of the time, but when Steam has an update, offline mode won't start.

Is there a command line parameter ( -noupdate?) to start Steam without updating the client? It's frustrating to randomly be blocked out of offline mode -- especially lately when there are a few updates per week.

Thanks

Old 11-18-2009, 06:24 PM   #2
Silicon Vampire

Volunteer Moderator
If you have no Internet, how does Steam know it needs an update?

And no, there is no command line to start in offline mode and/or skip the updates.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:36 PM   #3
hwxlhrider

Sorry guys those updates are on my nerves also.
From now on I'm checking for them EVERY TIME before I start a game.
They're conflicting with my "freshly updated", video drivers in game, causing enormous semi-transparent shadows.
And to top that I don't own hardly any of these games I'm getting updates for.
I wish they'd give us a break and let me check on my own for client updates so we can get em when we want them, hehe like not during a game!
hwxlhrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:15 AM   #4
CallMeZoot

To clarify: I have internet access, but it is heavily filtered at my workplace and I cannot connect to the Steam network. During my breaks I occasionally like to fire up a game in offline mode. But when Steam begins with "Updating," then shows me the option to "start in offline mode," it eventually ends with "this operation cannot be completed in offline mode." I assume by "operation" it means the client update.

This happens when I start the steam client on its own, as well as when I attempt to start a Steam game from the start menu shortcut or the EXE file in the game folder.

Long story short: Steam will not start in offline mode when there is a client update available. Can I work around this somehow? I have a family and virtually no time to game at home, so the occasional work break is about my only chance.

I play mostly single-player games and do not need any online features, I just want to play the games I purchased in the rare moment I get an opportunity.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:00 AM   #5
hwxlhrider

It could even be a browser update.
What game is it?
It sounds like it is caused by the filtered workplace, maybe! Did someone change the settings for the filter?
I play from my home pc, and the updates for games increased lately, especially for "left for dead" since they have a large membership, over 214,000 players. And I heard theres alot of hax with xbox 360 in this game that have filtered down to pc's graphics, they're sapping our games, weapons, and graphics too.
I found a software component for my graphics card un-installed yesterday, and there aren't any other users but me on this pc.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:10 AM   #6
KIDhl2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwxlhrider View Post
I wish they'd give us a break and let me check on my own for client updates so we can get em when we want them, hehe like not during a game!
This is most irritating for me.This is the only program installed on my PC that forces an automatic update.Even Windows lets me choose when to update.

If Steam would let us choose when to update the client,it would be pretty close to perfect.
KIDhl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:05 AM   #7
hwxlhrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIDhl2 View Post
This is most irritating for me.This is the only program installed on my PC that forces an automatic update.Even Windows lets me choose when to update.

If Steam would let us choose when to update the client,it would be pretty close to perfect.
Nothings perfect, windows tries to make the updates available for me when I want them, but sometimes they do the same thing! lol
I more or less think outside the envelope so its not so irritating lol, maybe they need new help?
Old 11-19-2009, 12:05 PM   #8
KIDhl2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwxlhrider View Post
Nothings perfect, windows tries to make the updates available for me when I want them, but sometimes they do the same thing! lol

Hmm.I just turn off the auto-update,go into security center and choose to ignor the warning in the taskbar.Ive never had it try to update automatically yet.

Vista 64....and Im sure XP works the same.
KIDhl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:23 PM   #9
cryinbrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silicon Vampire View Post
If you have no Internet, how does Steam know it needs an update?

And no, there is no command line to start in offline mode and/or skip the updates.
Funny how this thread has not had a real answer. Steam tries to update, and indicates there is an update, automatically whether there us a connection or not. Its in the source code.

The programmers at Steam should stop being so paranoid and fix this. It is a hassle for customers to play the games THEY OWN, and is unfortunate that this is how Steam must operate.

If there was an alternative to Steam that would allow me to play my games without all this hassle, I would run to it with open arms.

hear that, Steam guys?

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips