Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Old 11-18-2009, 09:26 PM   #1
khomitchr

Smile Buy Steam Gift Credits

Since I love steam gaming, I think it would be cool if the Steam Team would create an option for users to purchase steam credits for a friend and let that friend buy the game that they want with those credits. I guess this would just expand the gifting options. Any suggestions? Comments or updates regarding this idea would be apretiated.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:18 PM   #2
trebory6

You know, I was JUST thinking about this. I also think it would be a good idea to buy these gift credits without actually having to get a Steam account. Basically because my Grandfather is a big gift card giver, and the perfect thing for me to ask for this year is a Steam gift card, but come to find out, they don't have one or anything like it.

Second reason I'd like it, is because I wouldn't mind giving my best friend an Account on Steam so we could play games, but he just as rather go and buy the game from the store. And trying to spread the Steam Love, I'd like to force him into making a Steam account and experiencing the greatness.

But, Steam has nothing like this. I do know they would make lot's of money from me and my family if they did. haha
Old 12-01-2009, 04:31 PM   #3
aznguyen316

I'd like this too because if they started being sold at other retailers.. say Amazon, I usually have amazon credit I don't mind spending on steam games, but end up having to buy a PC retail or just going 360 instead. This way I can just use promo credit for steam credit and buy direct off steam..since I like all my PC games on steam.. =)

Or if the cards were sold at Best Buy (like many game cards are I've seen) I could earn reward points lol for buying off steam.. although the no tax beats that out. But I need my silver premier renewal!
Old 06-30-2010, 11:13 PM   #4
Zaphoon

As the admin of a Steam group, I would much rather give out Steam credit for group promos and rewards instead of gifting games. Don't get me wrong, gifting games is great for friends and I have done it several times. From an admin standpoint, however, being able to award a group member with some form of credit on account has a lot of nice benefits.

1) The group doesn't have to worry about how members will respond to a particular game title. The credit could be spent on whatever game they want [on Steam]. This reduces the group's risk of members not participating or having a poor reaction because of a dislike for whatever game is being gifted.

2) Unlike giving out prepaid credit cards or issuing the award money though a service like PayPal, Steam credit ensures that the beneficiary puts that money back into the Steam community. It would also be a lot easier to issue since the group already has the member's Steam account on file.

3) It allows better control of the group's budget. It's a lot easier and I assume would be perceived as a lot more 'fair' by members to give away $20 Steam credit every week than it is to hunt down $20 games that members might want (assuming they haven't purchased it already). That way a group can set their promo budget to $80 per month and easily fall within that budget without worrying about the price of individual games.

4) Members could apply the credit to a more expensive game and pay the difference out of their own pocket. A great example is when a new title comes out. Instead of the group having to spend $50 or more to purchase the game as a gift, a member could receive a $30 credit from the group and use that to help offset the cost of the game. This way the group can help members purchase the cool new titles, but the group won't have to buy the games outright.

Basically, a Steam group would be able to manage money and member rewards a lot better with some form of Steam credit. Of course, a lot of these concepts still apply when gifting to friends as well. I think the current game gifting system is great and should definitely stick around, but I think Steam credit should be implemented as another way to gift to Steam members.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas