Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal

Old 11-19-2009, 02:26 PM   #1
Showbear

Portal on Windows 7x64?

I recently installed Modern Warfare 2 and the Steam that came with it... haven't had Steam on my computer for a while. Everything works fine with that game.

The Steam games list reminded me of the Portal game I own, so I installed it. It installed without complaint, and Steam then automatically updated it. Everything seemed fine.

However the game starts with the opening image of the head with the valve in it, then the first blurry scene in Portal appears for a moment, and then the game just disappears from my system! No messages, it's just gone, leaving my screen in reduced resolution with Steam still running fine on it.

I'm running Windows 7x64 on a top-end system (I7, full RAM, top NVidia adapter). Everything on it is updated and top-drawer. Is this just a no-go for Portal, or should I go looking for something that I can fix?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:29 PM   #2
Zekiran

It's not 64 compatable that I know of, you might want to search. I'm sure someone will jump in and say of COURSE it is, but there seems to be a LOT of 64 and vista/7 issues out there with the current batch of orange box engine things.
Zekiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:35 PM   #3
nrnoble

On 64 bit systems, Portal runs in 32 bit mode as does Steam. For the past two years my games systems have had Vista 64 bit and very few problem. I do have windows 7, but not yet upgrade my gaming systems yet.

The config you listed is pretty close to mine. I am running i7, 8GB ram, and nVidia 280. But I am running Vista 64.

The major issue I have had in the past, as well as many others, is when you have a application such as Task manager running that has been set "Always be on-top" When an application is running and it wants one of its windows to be on-top of other applications (ie on top of Portal), it will nearly always cause HL2.exe to crash. The two applications are fighting it out as to will be on top of the other and HL2.exe crashes. Puzzles me that this bug remains unfixed, and my best guess is that it is a costly fix and\or likely to destabilize the game engine, thus leaving it unfixed is the best option among other possibilities.

And based on my experience, the more cool system toys you have installed, the more likely you are going to have problems. Gaming systems tend to be high strung and it doesn't seem to take to much destabilize them.... Which is one significant reason why some game developers prefer making console games; they are working in a very clean environment so there is relatively few support issues after the game is released.

Last edited by nrnoble: 11-19-2009 at 04:58 PM.
nrnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:31 PM   #4
gorpie

Try adding -32bit to your game launch options in your Steam games list
gorpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:19 PM   #5
nrnoble

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorpie View Post
Try adding -32bit to your game launch options in your Steam games list
Now that I think about it, over a year ago, there was a steam update the broke Portal on 64-bit systems and the launch option "-32bit" was workaround that termoparily fixed it. Later that bug was fixed and -32bit was no longer required. Currently I'm not using "-32bit", but I'm also not running Windows 7 either.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:34 PM   #6
Zekiran

I'd suggest trying it until you know otherwise, since 7 is new.
Zekiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:20 PM   #7
Showbear

Thanks folks for efforts to help, but the -32bit flag doesn't get the game running.

I did see an error message this time though: "hl2.exe has stopped working."

I neglected to report in my OP that I'm running two monitors, one at 2560 X 1600 and the other at 1200 X 1600. While Portal is trying to get itself going, both screens go berserk while resolutions are being reconfigured, but the main one where the game appears briefly does get into low resolution. The display adapter is an NVidia 285, up to date.

Any other ideas are welcome, thanks again.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:18 AM   #8
nrnoble

You shouldn't have any problem with the 285. I have the 280 and it has worked near flawlessly since I installed it. They are different video cards, but simular enough that the 285 shouldn't be the source of causing the Hl2.exe to crash.

- Dual monitors shouldn't be a problem either. I've been running dual monitors for years; each with a different resolution. Mine are 1920x1080 and 1680 x 1050. Consider dropping your resolution down to 1920x1080 or lower.

- Do not run task manager or any other application that has been set "Always On Top".

- Temporarily disable any additional system toys you might have installed.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:05 AM   #9
gorpie

Disable background apps, or add an exception to your firewall application?

Lower your DX level?
gorpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:10 AM   #10
nrnoble

Just installed Steam and Portal on a fresh\clean install of Windows 7 Utilimate (64-bit) played the entire game without error. Didn't modify any settings or add software other than Steam.

If your install of Windows 7 was an upgrade rather than a clean install, there will be a boat load of unknowns that could be the source of the problem. A clean install, while a major pain in the , has an 85% chance of resolving nearly every gaming problem you might have (if it was an OS upgrade to Windows 7).

Last edited by nrnoble: 11-20-2009 at 02:27 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:16 AM   #11
lulalah

Oh no! I just cleaned installed x64 bit and then clean installed an upgrade to Windows 7. I was having issues with L4D on Vista 32 bit.

Crap.

I'll try it tonight and see what happens.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:22 PM   #12
nightcabbage

Hmmm, I'm having the exact same issue on my brand new PC I just built.

i5, 4GB RAM, GeForce 8800GT, Win7 64bit clean install. I don't have any programs running in the background. All my other Source games (L4D, L4D2, TF2, HL2, Lost Coast, etc) run fine... but Portal has a crash exactly as you described above.

I do have the latest version of the nVidia drivers. Wonder if that has something to do with it, because I vaguely remember starting up Portal when I first installed it (just to try) and it working (though I can't be certain as I don't exactly remember). Can anyone confirm if Portal works with the new 195.62 drivers?
nightcabbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:32 PM   #13
nightcabbage

Ok, this could be total coincidence, but this is how I "fixed" mine:

I remember that by default the “Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration” option (in the nVidia Control Panel) was set to Multiple Display performance mode. I thought that strange and changed it to Single Display performance mode. That was about the only thing I could remember changing since I installed Portal on my machine once I built it a short time ago. So I went back, changed it to Multi Display (just for the heck of it) and tried loading Portal. It worked. I changed the resolution in Portal to my native resolution. Went back to Single display performance mode and it has been loading fine now.

Again, this could all be coincidence, but Portal is running for me.
nightcabbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 04:53 PM   #14
noahs_jarc

As far as I am aware, windows 7 is not a compatible operating system for Portal, at least not yet..
Old 12-04-2009, 08:24 PM   #15
nrnoble

Recently I switched from Vista to Windows 7 and Portal does work. I am noticing a bit more HL2.exe crashes during the launching of Portal than I did with Vista. In my case, I am pretty sure it is because memory is getting fragmented (or other resource limitations) and HL2.exe crashes because it is not finding enough continuous space to run in. When I get HL2.exe crashes, I just exit other apps that are running. Most of the time the only thing I have running is Steam, IE8, and Fraps. 95% of the time closing IE8 windows clears my problem without having to restart system, otherwise a system reboot clears the problem 100% (for me).

While Steam and Source engine games, such as Portal, might not yet be officially supported 100% on Windows 7, there is a high probablity that windows 7 users won't have any more problems than if they were running Vista.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal