Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RailWorks

Old 11-24-2009, 06:58 AM   #1
nryans34express

Talking Defrag cache files

Does anyone know how often the cache files need to be defraged in Steam properies. Thanks.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:02 AM   #2
cbf36

Hi! If you have just been running trains in the sim, them defrag should not be needed. However, if you have been making a lot of changes, like adding, deleting or modifying files, then defragging should be done after a lot of changes. Cheers; Chuck F.
cbf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:21 AM   #3
arizonachris

Do they get defragged when you do a defrag in Windows? Just curious. The game does start slowing in fps after playing for an hour or so, could this be a reason?
arizonachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:45 PM   #4
cbf36

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonachris View Post
Do they get defragged when you do a defrag in Windows? Just curious. The game does start slowing in fps after playing for an hour or so, could this be a reason?
Hi! I just don't know the relationship between the two methods of defragging. However, I've found that the most common reason why computers slow down is due to Registration errors. Running a program such as Registry Mechanic of Registry Repair Pro. Also, having too many programs runing in the background will cause low FPS. Try changing your Startup menu to limit what programs are running. Good luck. Cheers; Chuck F.
cbf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:08 PM   #5
lonewolfdon

A nice free utility that I usually use before running games is called Game Booster:
http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html
It quickly and easily shuts down unnecessary Windows background apps, and often I noticed an improvement in a game's performance.

Also shut-down or disable other programs such as anti-virus, messengers, etc... before launching your game, as they all take up RAM and processing power, and may also cause slowdowns and/or conflicts with a game you're playing.

Myself, I only run a hard-disk defrag about once-a-month, same for doing a game-cache defrag via the Steam console if it's a game I play often. I'm not sure, but I think the hard-disk defrag and the game-cache defrag may work on different things, so it can't hurt to do both.

A good and free program for cleaning-up junk on Windows, along with helping to clean-up the registry some is CCleaner:
http://www.ccleaner.com/

Glary Registry Repair is also a good free utility great for cleaning/fixing-up the registry:
http://www.glarysoft.com/rr.html

*Warning: Use the above mentioned programs at your own risk. Make backup of your registry or make a system-restore checkpoint so if something does mess-up, you can revert back to the old settings. That being said, these are popular and well-tested utilities and I've never had any problem using them myself.

Anyways, that's just a few suggestions that may help to keep your computer running towards optimal performance levels. For more useful PC tweaks and tips, visit the following site: http://www.aokpc.com/

Last edited by lonewolfdon: 11-24-2009 at 02:15 PM.
lonewolfdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:46 PM   #6
arizonachris

Windows is set to do a defrag every week at a specific time (when I'm at work) so that's taken care of. I have also used CCleaner for several years now, I run it once every few weeks including the registry cleaner. Never had it mess up my PC yet. I'll try defragging the game files later. Now I need to run the Challenger a little more.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:36 PM   #7
KeepItReal

Is the Steam defragger better than Windows or Auslogics or Puran etc?
Old 01-02-2011, 10:40 PM   #8
arizonachris

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepItReal View Post
Is the Steam defragger better than Windows or Auslogics or Puran etc?
Steam will only defragment it's own game and save game files. Auslogic and Puran or Defraggler will defrag the entire hard disk.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:49 AM   #9
Clemmo47

Don,I downloaded the Game Booster and it shows a box at the bottom right of the desktop.
Are you supposed to drag the steam icon or just the RW icon to the box for the game to be boosted ? And do you start RW from the icon in the game booster box for the effects to work? I did it that way and it seems ok.
Clemmo47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RailWorks