Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Serious Sam series > The First Encounter

Old 11-25-2009, 06:37 AM   #1
Serious Spoon

Serious Sam HD forum Volunteer moderator
Exclamation Solutions to common problems

When reporting a problem, please search for an existing thread first. There's a good chance the problem has already been solved. This helps Croteam a lot and makes the forum look less cluttered.
If you can't find a solution, make a new thread and explain the problem. There are instructions at the bottom of this thread to help you with that.

Please do not ask for solutions in this thread. It is to be used only for suggesting common issues.

Table of contents

1. I'm having sound problems, even with the latest patch!
  2. My game crashes a lot.
  3. I experience a lot of stuttering while playing.
  4. I can't find any multiplayer servers!
  5. I have an Intel 9000 series onboard graphics chip, and the game crashes as soon as I start it.
  6. I'm getting regular 1 to 2 second freezes while playing.
  7. The game is incompatible with 3D rendering / stereoscopic drivers.
  8. My game crashes on the Ugh-Zan cutscene.
  9. My keyboard/mouse bindings keep resetting when I restart the game.
  10. My sound crackles when using a 7.1 speaker setup.
  11. I can't get the Perfect Kill achievement.
  12. I didn't get my achievement, despite doing what was necessary.
  13. I have a problem with my controls. They get messed up (something like this). What's going on?

• I'm having sound problems, even with the latest patch!

This most likely means you have a broken DirectX installation. The game tries to install the latest DirectX version when the game is launched for the first time, but due to a design bug in the installer, it will simply skip the installation if a previous DirectX installation was found, even if it was broken. To fix it, find the dxsetup.exe file in steam dir/steamapps/common/serious sam hd the first encounter/Redist/DirectX and run it. Doing this should fix your DirectX installation and solve the sound problems.

• My game crashes a lot.

If you are using the nVidia beta 195.55 drivers, that is the problem. Please update to the newest WHQL drivers to solve the problem.

• I experience a lot of stuttering while playing.

This can sometimes be solved by lowering your GPU performance setting by one in Options -> Performance Options. Especially the Ultra setting is too hard on a lot of systems.

• I can't find any multiplayer servers!

This is most likely caused by DMZ being enabled on your router. DMZ is not compatible with Steam, for more information please read this article at Steam Support.

• I have an Intel 9000 series onboard graphics chip, and the game crashes as soon as I start it.

Support for these graphics chips are sketchy at best (they're actually below the official system requirements), but you can try the following: Right click the game in your Steam window, and choose Properties, then click Set launch options. In the popup window, enter the following: +gfx_bHDRRendering 0 +gfx_bFullScreen 0 +gfx_pixWinWidth 640 +gfx_pixWinHeight 480 (copy paste it from here to rule out typos), then press OK and then Close to get back to your Games list.

• I'm getting regular 1 to 2 second freezes while playing.

This is a known issue, and is being looked into. For the moment, it seems that disabling Crossfire / SLI is a valid workaround, and can be used to play normally until this issue is solved.

• The game is incompatible with 3D rendering / stereoscopic drivers.

This is actually a problem on nVidia's side, but it is a known issue and will be looked into. One thing you can try for now is disabling "fast lights" by entering ren_bFastLights=0 in the console (open it by pressing ~). This will lower image quality, but might work as a temporary fix.

• My game crashes on the Ugh-Zan cutscene.

This was solved in a patch.

• My keyboard/mouse bindings keep resetting when I restart the game.

• My sound crackles when using a 7.1 speaker setup.

• I can't get the Perfect Kill achievement.

Look here.

• I didn't get my achievement, despite doing what was necessary.

Some achievements require you to go through the entire game in one session. You can reload, but you can't start or continue from some level. The achievements are: Game Master, Serious Run, Look It's A Secret, I Am Invincible, Serious Sam and Serious Co-op.
    Multiplayer achievements require someone to be with you just before you are supposed to get the achievements and to stay in the game until you get them. These are Co-op Beginner, Co-op Hippy and Serious Co-op.

• I have a problem with my controls. They get messed up (something like this). What's going on?

The problem is in F-Secure's DeepGuard. Here's what you need to do (thanks Biff Johnston!):

- Open F-Secure
    - Go to Settings.
    - Go to Computer, and select DeepGuard
    - Uncheck the ''Use advanced process monitoring' option
    - Click 'OK'.

Additionally, you will probably want to set F-Secure to turn off DeepGuard for SS HD specifically so you don't have to do it manually every time.
    Check the thread in the above link for more information.

My problem is not listed, or the listed solution does not work

Please create a new thread describing the problem as detailed as you can, and please post the following information / attach the following files for all problems:
  • Your log file (Steam dir/steamapps/common/serious sam hd the first encounter/Log/SamHD.log)
  • Your system specs
  • Your configuration file (Steam dir/userdata/unique number associated with your Steam account/41000/local/SeriousSamHD.ini)

Additionaly, if the problem involves the game crashing, please post the following file as well to help track the issue:
  • Steam dir/steamapps/common/serious sam hd the first encounter/Log/SamHD.rpt

Note: I am maintaining this list over at Seriously! and will update the copy here once in a while.

Last edited by Dancing Muton: 05-04-2010 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:41 AM   #2
Michiel23

My sound crackles when using a 7.1 speaker setup

This is a known problem and a fix should be released soon. For now, please switch to a 5.1 configuration.

--------------------------------------------------

i have that problem now thx for support, i hope u guys make update soon
Michiel23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:08 AM   #3
Maraka

The new 195.62 drivers released 2009 11 25 fixes the crashing problems with viewing menu's etc
Old 11-25-2009, 07:19 AM   #4
Serious Spoon

Thanks for the info, Maraka! I have updated the post accordingly.
Serious Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:02 AM   #5
fakiyo

Sticky this, now.

Crackling sound: Disabling mic also helps, I know at least 4 people who solved this problem my way
fakiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:08 AM   #6
Serious Spoon

Disabling the microphone in-game, or altogether?
Old 12-02-2009, 03:58 AM   #7
Serious Spoon

Updated to reflect changes/fixes in the latest patch.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:04 AM   #8
murut87

My system requirements

I tried on this laptop

Acer Aspire 5050
AMD Turion 64 2.0ghz (no dual core)(very bad isn`t it)
Ati Radeon x1100
2.5GB RAM

When i tested the game,
the shadow won`t load but the game works very fine
even i set ultra graphics it wont show up the shadows

doesnt suppose to upgrade ghz or this graphics needs to be updated?
murut87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 03:12 AM   #9
Mr_Fayce

Had none of these issues at all, but +rep for helping the community
Mr_Fayce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:43 AM   #10
execvicepres

Fatal error: Cannot set display model

I downloaded your new Serious Sam HD game and it will not even get to start.. Here is the log.. Yes.. I know you dont support other party games. I have tried to post on the Serious Sam site but it will not let me post.

Plesae review this log and let me know what you think the problem is or forward it to the techs that sell your game serious sam HD.

-------- START OF LOG --------

LOG: Core version: $Version: SeriousSamHD; Win32; Standard; Final; 3.003.00:113020; 2009-11-30 14:04:15; @builder$
LOG: Command: $
LOG: Initializing timer.
LOG: Timestamp: 2009/12/10 23:14:23
LOG: Binary name: SamHD.exe
LOG: Binary soft path: Bin/
LOG: Binary hard path: d:\new steam\steamapps\common\serious sam hd the first encounter\Bin\
LOG: Application directory: d:\new steam\steamapps\common\serious sam hd the first encounter\
LOG: * OS...
LOG: Name: Windows XP
LOG: Kernel: WinNT (32-bit)
LOG: Version: 5.1, build 2600
LOG: Misc: Service Pack 3
LOG:
LOG: * CPU...
LOG: Vendor: AuthenticAMD
LOG: Type: 0, Family: 6, Model: 6, Stepping: 2
LOG: Clock: 1.53 GHz
LOG: Cores: 1
LOG: CMOV: Yes
LOG: SSE: Yes
LOG:
LOG: * Memory...
LOG: Total physical memory: 2047 MB
LOG: Free physical memory: 1381 MB
LOG:
LOG: Loaded "d:\new steam\steamapps\common\serious sam hd the first encounter\Bin\ScriptLua.dll".
LOG: Loaded "d:\new steam\steamapps\common\serious sam hd the first encounter\Bin\GameEnv_Steam.dll".
INF: GameEnv API: Steam
LOG: Created thread 4008.
LOG: Thread 4008 named 'ResourceLoader'.
LOG: "$D:/NEW STEAM/userdata/815294/41000/local/SeriousSamHD.ini" does not exist, skipping cvar loading.
LOG: Trying to set display mode 800x600(fullscreen)...
LOG:
LOG: Desktop settings:
LOG: Color depth: 32-bit
LOG: Desktop resolution: 800 x 600
LOG: Virtual screen: 800 x 600
LOG: Monitors attached: 1
LOG: Loaded "d:\new steam\steamapps\common\serious sam hd the first encounter\Bin\GfxD3D.dll".
LOG: Loaded "D3D9.dll".
ERR: Cannot set requested display mode 800x600: GfxAPI error: Missing support for vertex shaders 2.0!
INF: Trying fallback modes...
LOG: Trying to set display mode 640x480(fullscreen)...
LOG: Loaded "d:\new steam\steamapps\common\serious sam hd the first encounter\Bin\GfxD3D.dll".
ERR: Cannot set requested display mode 640x480: GfxAPI error: Cannot create rendering device!
LOG: Trying to set display mode 800x600(fullscreen)...
ERR: Cannot set requested display mode 800x600: GfxAPI error: Missing support for vertex shaders 2.0!
LOG: Trying to set display mode 720x576(fullscreen)...
ERR: Cannot set requested display mode 720x576: GfxAPI error: Cannot create rendering device!
LOG: Trying to set display mode 719x539(window)...
ERR: Cannot set requested display mode 0x0: GfxAPI error: Missing support for vertex shaders 2.0!
LOG: Trying to set display mode 640x480(window)...
ERR: Cannot set requested display mode 0x0: GfxAPI error: Missing support for vertex shaders 2.0!
FTL: Fatal error: Cannot set display mode.

I just redid my entire computer and upgraded all the drivers.. direct x... reset the client blob files .. downloaded the game serveral times.. and my Nvidia driver seems to be working fine for every game but this one... frankly.. I havent been able to ever get a serious sam game for my kids that wasnt a piece of junk filled with problems.

Please help me resolve this. I have an IBM compatible.. windows XP.. My vid card is a 3d force MX4000 Ya.. its older but it works fine.. I can do source and other games with it and it is completely updated..

2 Gig Ram...

Please let me know.. Help me Mr Spoon..lol
Old 12-13-2009, 11:11 AM   #11
alenl

Croteam
Execvicepres, that card is a rebranded Geforce4 MX. The game requires a DirectX 9.0c compatible card, with at least Shader Model 2.0 (3.0 highly recommended). Please see here for hardware requirements: http://store.steampowered.com/app/41000/ . I'm sorry, but it cannot possibly work on that GPU.
alenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:22 AM   #12
keremc

I downloaded your new Serious Sam HD game but it's not even opening.It's closing when i opened the game.My system is:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+ 2.71 GHz
NVidia GeForce 9500GT
2GB Ram
Old 12-18-2009, 03:26 AM   #13
DiggerDogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Spoon View Post
[*]I can't find any multiplayer servers!

This is most likely caused by DMZ being enabled on your router. DMZ is not compatible with Steam, for more information please read this article at Steam Support.
GREAT article, Spoon.

I was very surprised to notice your tip about the DMZ being incompatible with Steam. Then I was even more surprised when I went to the Steam trouble-shooting page and the 6th and LAST thing they suggest is powering your modem and router down - how could Steam not suggest this FIRST? (And why didn't they also suggest killing the power to the computer - the motherboard's network port still keeps active when you merely shut down Windows - and if it's in a bad software loop, it can stay that way for MONTHS.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keremc View Post
I downloaded your new Serious Sam HD game but it's not even opening.It's closing when i opened the game.My system is:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+ 2.71 GHz
NVidia GeForce 9500GT
2GB Ram
Elsewhere, you say you can't run L4D2.

(remainder deleted).

Last edited by DiggerDogg: 12-22-2009 at 12:12 PM.
DiggerDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 03:13 PM   #14
FunkyF15

Hi i cannot play the game as i experience constant crashes with the message "The application has malfuntioned and now closed" This also only seems to happen when i move out side of the spawn location.

Code:
--------------------------------

-------- START OF LOG --------

LOG:   Core version: $Version: SeriousSamHD; Win32; Standard; Final; 3.003.00:113020; 2009-11-30 14:04:15; @builder$
LOG:   Command:  $
LOG:   Initializing timer.
LOG:   Timestamp: 2009/12/25 22:05:55
LOG:   Binary name: SamHD.exe
LOG:   Binary soft path: Bin/
LOG:   Binary hard path: d:\steam\steamapps\common\serious sam hd the first encounter\Bin\
LOG:   Application directory: d:\steam\steamapps\common\serious sam hd the first encounter\
LOG:   * OS...
LOG:   Name: Windows XP
LOG:   Kernel: WinNT (64-bit)
LOG:   Version: 5.1, build 2600
LOG:   Misc: Service Pack 3
LOG:   
LOG:   * CPU...
LOG:   Vendor: GenuineIntel
LOG:   Type: 0, Family: 6, Model: 15, Stepping: 11
LOG:   Clock: 2.40 GHz
LOG:   Cores: 4
LOG:   CMOV: Yes
LOG:   SSE: Yes
LOG:   
LOG:   * Memory...
LOG:   Total physical memory: 4094 MB
LOG:   Free physical memory: 2631 MB
LOG:   
LOG:   Loaded "d:\steam\steamapps\common\serious sam hd the first encounter\Bin\ScriptLua.dll".
LOG:   Loaded "d:\steam\steamapps\common\serious sam hd the first encounter\Bin\GameEnv_Steam.dll".
INF:   GameEnv API: Steam
ERR:   Error getting mixer source line info for microphone. Will not be able to control microphone.
LOG:   Created thread 1220.
LOG:   Thread 1220 named 'ResourceLoader'.
LOG:   "$D:/Steam/userdata/36653424/41000/local/SeriousSamHD.ini" does not exist, skipping cvar loading.
LOG:   Trying to set display mode 1680x1050(fullscreen)...
LOG:   
LOG:   Desktop settings:
LOG:     Color depth: 32-bit
LOG:     Desktop resolution: 1680 x 1050
LOG:     Virtual screen: 1680 x 1050
LOG:     Monitors attached: 1
LOG:   Loaded "d:\steam\steamapps\common\serious sam hd the first encounter\Bin\GfxD3D.dll".
LOG:   Loaded "D3D9.dll".
LOG:   
LOG:   * Direct3D context created.
INF:   
INF:   Gfx API: Direct3D
INF:   Resolution: 1680 x 1050
INF:   Vendor: nVidia (0x10DE)
INF:   Driver: nvd3dum.dll (0x05E2)
INF:   Renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
INF:   Version: 8.17.11.9562
INF:   Video memory size: 896 MB
INF:   Available for textures: 2648 MB
INF:   Active GPU(s): 1
LOG:   Loaded "d:\steam\steamapps\common\serious sam hd the first encounter\Bin\SfxXAD.dll".
INF:   
INF:   Sfx API: XAudio2
INF:   Device: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
INF:   Mixer freq: 44100 Hz
INF:   HW voices: 64
INF:   Max sounds: 25 (5 same)
INF:   Env FX: enabled
INF:   Current environment: Padded cell
INF:   
LOG:   Loaded "d:\steam\steamapps\common\serious sam hd the first encounter\Bin\SeriousSamHD_Project.dll".
LOG:     Content/SeriousSamHD/All.gro: 5684 files
LOG:     Content/SeriousSamHD/All_112773.gro: 45 files
LOG:     Content/SeriousSamHD/CachedShaders_PC.gro: 7840 files
LOG:   Loaded "d:\steam\steamapps\common\serious sam hd the first encounter\Bin\CodecAudio_Vorbis.dll".
LOG:   Module 'Bin/CodecAudio_Vorbis.module' loaded in '0.00' seconds.
LOG:   Loaded "d:\steam\steamapps\common\serious sam hd the first encounter\Bin\CodecVideo_Theora.dll".
LOG:   Module 'Bin/CodecVideo_Theora.module' loaded in '0.00' seconds.
LOG:   Loaded "d:\steam\steamapps\common\serious sam hd the first encounter\Bin\Input.dll".
LOG:   Module 'Bin/Input.module' loaded in '0.00' seconds.
LOG:   Loaded "d:\steam\steamapps\common\serious sam hd the first encounter\Bin\Game.dll".
LOG:   Module 'Bin/Game.module' loaded in '0.00' seconds.
LOG:   Loaded "d:\steam\steamapps\common\serious sam hd the first encounter\Bin\ProcRender.dll".
LOG:   Loaded "d:\steam\steamapps\common\serious sam hd the first encounter\Bin\Shaders.dll".
LOG:   Module 'Bin/Shaders.module' loaded in '0.15' seconds.
LOG:   Module 'Bin/ProcRender.module' loaded in '0.16' seconds.
LOG:   Module 'Bin/Shaders.module' loaded in '0.00' seconds.
LOG:   Module 'Bin/SeriousSamHD_Project.module' loaded in '0.38' seconds.
LOG:   Processing file Content/SeriousSamHD/Config/autoexec.cfg
LOG:   Created thread 2664.
LOG:   Thread 2664 named 'GameDataJobs'.
INF:   cvarShowDiffs()
INF:   gfx_bLastGoodFullScreen = 1  (0)
INF:   gfx_fMaxTextureLODBias = 16  (0)
INF:   gfx_iMaxTextureAnisotropy = 16  (1)
INF:   gfx_iPixelProgramVersion = 31  (0)
INF:   gfx_iVertexProgramVersion = 31  (0)
INF:   gfx_pixLastGoodResHeight = 1050  (480)
INF:   gfx_pixLastGoodResWidth = 1680  (640)
INF:   gfx_pixMaxRenderTargetSize = 8192  (0)
INF:   gfx_pixMaxTextureSize = 8192  (0)
INF:   gfx_pixMaxVolumeTextureSize = 2048  (0)
INF:   gfx_pixResHeight = 1050  (0)
INF:   gfx_pixResWidth = 1680  (0)
INF:   gfx_ulFreeTextureMemoryMB = 2648  (0)
INF:   gfx_ulVideoMemoryMB = 896  (0)
INF:   snd_fVoiceCommVolume = 0.7  (1)
INF:   sys_iGPUDeviceID = 1506  (0)
INF:   sys_iGPUVendorID = 4318  (0)
INF:   sys_strGPUName = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260"  ("(not detected)")
LOG:   Processing file Content/SeriousSamHD/Config/AutoDetect.lua
INF:   AutoDetect: No previous hardware values stored, adjusting settings automatically.
INF:   ID: 0x05e2 card: GeForce GTX 260 quality: 5
LOG:   59 textures reloaded in 0.4 seconds
LOG:   2582 shaders reloaded in 0.6 seconds
INF:   AutoDetect: storing new settings: gfx_iPixelProgramVersion=31,gfx_ctConcurrentGPUs=1,sys_iGPUVendorID=4318,sys_iCPUFamily=6,sys_iCPUMHz=2400,sys_iGPUDeviceID=1506,sys_strCPUVendor=GenuineIntel,gfx_ulVideoMemoryMB=896,
LOG:   Boot stage completed in 3.78 seconds.
LOG:   Started loading world "Content/SeriousSamHD/Levels/Menu/MenuLevel.wld"
LOG:   Finished loading world.
LOG:   Timestamp: 2009/12/25 22:06:02
INF:   Started simulation on 'Content/SeriousSamHD/Levels/Menu/MenuLevel.wld' in 3.61 seconds.
LOG:   Created thread 2136.
LOG:   Thread 2136 named 'WorkerThreadPool'.
LOG:   Created thread 2516.
LOG:   Thread 2516 named 'WorkerThreadPool'.
LOG:   Created thread 2876.
LOG:   Thread 2876 named 'WorkerThreadPool'.
LOG:   Started loading world "Content/SeriousSamHD/Levels/Menu/NetricsaLevel.wld"
LOG:   Timestamp: 2009/12/25 22:06:02
INF:   Started simulation on 'Content/SeriousSamHD/Levels/Menu/NetricsaLevel.wld' in 0.07 seconds.
INF:   Curent quality: CPU speed=Medium, GPU speed=Ultra, GPU memory=Ultra
INF:   Curent quality: CPU speed=Medium, GPU speed=Medium, GPU memory=Ultra
INF:   Curent quality: CPU speed=Medium, GPU speed=Medium, GPU memory=Medium
INF:   Apply quality: CPU speed=Medium, GPU speed=Medium, GPU memory=Medium
LOG:   2582 shaders reloaded in 0.8 seconds
LOG:   349 textures reloaded in 3.6 seconds
LOG:   Player profile saved with size 2.13kB(96.00kB) at 2009/12/25 22:06:47.
LOG:   Timestamp: 2009/12/25 22:06:56
LOG:   Stopping simulation.
LOG:   Timestamp: 2009/12/25 22:06:56
LOG:   Stopping world ''.
LOG:   World stopped in 0.00sec.
LOG:   Timestamp: 2009/12/25 22:06:57
LOG:   Loading '$D:/Steam/userdata/36653424/41000/local/SeriousSamHD/SavedGames/0000000000_QuickSave.sav'.
LOG:   resFreeUnusedProxies() released '742' and reverted 0 proxy objects in 0.00 seconds.
LOG:   resFreeUnusedStockTrivial() released 16 files in 0.00 seconds.
LOG:   Started loading world "$D:/Steam/userdata/36653424/41000/local/SeriousSamHD/SavedGames/0000000000_QuickSave.sav"
LOG:   Trying to set display mode 1680x1050(window)...
LOG:   Loaded "d:\steam\steamapps\common\serious sam hd the first encounter\Bin\GfxD3D.dll".
LOG:   Loaded "D3D9.dll".
LOG:   
LOG:   * Direct3D context created.
INF:   
INF:   Gfx API: Direct3D
INF:   Window: 1676 x 1024
INF:   Vendor: nVidia (0x10DE)
INF:   Driver: nvd3dum.dll (0x05E2)
INF:   Renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
INF:   Version: 8.17.11.9562
INF:   Video memory size: 896 MB
INF:   Available for textures: 2668 MB
INF:   Active GPU(s): 1
LOG:   resFreeUnusedProxies() released '757' and reverted 0 proxy objects in 0.00 seconds.
LOG:   resFreeUnusedStockTrivial() released 11 files in 0.02 seconds.
TRC:   160 sound channels reinitialized.
LOG:   resFreeUnusedProxies() released '2' and reverted 0 proxy objects in 0.00 seconds.
LOG:   resFreeUnusedStockTrivial() released 1 files in 0.00 seconds.
LOG:   2009/12/25 22:08:08: Crashed. (free memory: 1790 MB)
ERR:   sysStartProcess("d:\steam\steamapps\common\serious sam hd the first encounter\Bin\BugReporter_Win32.exe") - 'Invalid argument'

Last edited by Shrinker: 12-28-2009 at 11:55 AM. Reason: code tags are a nice invention...
Old 12-25-2009, 03:22 PM   #15
Serious Spoon

FunkyF15, can you please post your SamHD.rpt file? It should be in the same directory as your log file. Thank you.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Serious Sam series > The First Encounter