Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 11-25-2009, 04:37 PM   #1
Fatdude

Any way to keep downloading games while playing another?

Ok i want to know if there is a way to keep downloading games that arent fully downloaded when im playing another game on steam.I just bought THQ pack and Plants vs Zombies.When i launch plants vs zombies all the downloads in the my games tab just stops.Right click -> Resume Updating doesnt work and it stays at Download Starting.

So is there a way to fix this?Maybe a commandline when launching steam?There isnt any option in the settings menu to do it.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:54 PM   #2
Maddoghalo

It depends on your hardware and your internet connections. If your playing online in your game chances are you cant download and play at the same time so steam will stop downloading it. You just have to exit steam and restart it to fix the frozen part. Its always good to pause the download before you play.
Maddoghalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:40 PM   #3
rev. sK

There's got to be a better answer than that?

I remember playing GTA4 while downloading CS:Source and when I exited GTA4, CS was 100% - Ready. (Pretty sweet) but I've noticed such a thing doesn't work anymore.
rev. sK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:49 PM   #4
baldynut

same happens for me with "download starting" but im not sure if it does still download but slower.
Old 11-27-2009, 05:09 PM   #5
xayu

i just pause then resume it after starting my game seems to force it to download
xayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:14 PM   #6
Col. Hamilton

Quote:
Originally Posted by xayu View Post
i just pause then resume it after starting my game seems to force it to download
I wish that worked, it doesnt work I think the OP has a valid point here. I bought a few games and I'd like to keep downloading them while I play, but I notice it isnt working when I play a steam game, so I'm just gonna have to play my non-steam games while a steam game downloads, it is a pretty stupid state of affairs if you ask me.
Col. Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:45 PM   #7
T@F

Yep i used to be able to do that but now nope.
Even happens with games like audiosurf and how much bandwith does that game need tbh.
as i was downloading a steam deal i thought i`ll play that game until the download fin,yet it auto pauses until i quit the game
T@F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:06 PM   #8
StingerX10

Steam seems to pause for a brief moment when I launch a game while downloading. It resumes downloading as normal a few moments after launching the game. I can run games like Morrowind, Oblivion, Dawn of War (Winter Assault, Dark Crusade, Soulstorm) and anything without Steamworks or Steam Achievements without any interruption to downloading.

I don't launch multiplayer games while downloading though. If I launch L4D or TF2 I goes back to 'Download Starting...' and the bandwidth usage (according to Resource Monitor) drops substantially.

Plants vs Zombies and Audiosurf might have a similar effect to Valve's games on Steam downloads since it has Steam Achievements (like L4D/TF2).
Mostly just speculation and experience though . Not 100% sure.
StingerX10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 02:06 AM   #9
Arxa

I wish Steam would get an option to adjust download speeds like in many other programs, for example: Xfire download options. You can set different speeds from the dropdown menus.
Arxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:51 PM   #10
Gaidheal

Me too, since the 'new' client

Aye, looks like yet another reason to hate the stupid 'improved' client. Honestly; I took part in the beta, hated it and went back to the proper (now retired) client but sadly it seems they were determined to polish their turd and force it on us regardless.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:09 PM   #11
Dr. Yeti

This is what I do.
Launch Game
Alt + Tab
Pause Download
Resume Download
Return to game.
Dr. Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:08 PM   #12
>X2<

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Yeti View Post
This is what I do.
Launch Game
Alt + Tab
Pause Download
Resume Download
Return to game.
This works for me.

Or just play a non-steam game while you wait.
>X2< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:21 PM   #13
THE Nakedgun

Banned
This has always been a problem even in the old client, infact it was actually worse becasue pausign a download then starting a game unpaused the downlaod so it was laggy and high pings in any online game.
This new client brings in a new bug that pauses games when another gme has finished downloading, very very annoying.
example I start download for mass effect (10GB) then start downlaod for Quake3 (800MB) obviously Quake will finish first and when it does Mass effect will get paused.
THE Nakedgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:50 AM   #14
poohbear

i dont understand why steam cant implement such simple tweaks to its client? i mean how card can it be to let the user choose this option?
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:16 PM   #15
Rokit

Red face

Yeah, I mean WTF. I was downloading a game and was like, cool I'll play some single player MW2 while I wait for this 5 gig thing to download. I played MW2 for like 2 hours, came back and it said download paused. I was ticked. At least tell me it's going to pause or something. Better yet, make it keep downloading unless I tell it not to.

Why is this even necessary? At least make steam know the difference between an online game and an offline one. There are different executables for single and multi player for MW2......
Rokit is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips