Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 03:00 PM   #1
Keires

Transfer a CD-key to another account

Hello,

Is it possible to transfer an cd-key to another account? Why is that necessary? Well, if you are selling your game to someone else, it would be fair he is the new owner of that certain cd-key.

Thnx!

Grtz Keires

Old 12-04-2009, 03:08 PM   #2
m00d

Not allowed to sell games on Steam, when purchasing you're buying a license for the game on one account. You cannot transfer games.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:40 PM   #3
UserU

Banned
That's just encouraging piracy, don't you think?
Old 12-04-2009, 07:50 PM   #4
TheMG

Volunteer Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserU View Post
That's just encouraging piracy, don't you think?
I'd say the increase in piracy is probably insignificant compared to the lost sales and other expenses that would occur as a result of being able to sell/trade games.

Think about what would happen if Valve did allow people to sell and trade games! People would be selling and trading games back and forth, causing sales to drop since people will just be trading games around rather than buying them. But that's not the worst: hijackers will be able to empty out an account that they've stolen!

All hell would break loose.

Selling/trading games that are available over an online distribution system (Steam) just wouldn't work.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:20 AM   #5
Keires

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00d View Post
Not allowed to sell games on Steam, when purchasing you're buying a license for the game on one account. You cannot transfer games.
Euh... Even when you have the official cd's? Isn't there a way to delete the CD-key from your steam, so I can sell the game to a friend?

Old 12-05-2009, 02:22 AM   #6
BrianD000

Nope, You cant sell Steam games onto other people. No way atall.

Old 12-05-2009, 02:28 AM   #7
Mkilbride

Steam tells you this much when you buy / add a game and has been knowledge for years. :P
Old 12-05-2009, 02:45 AM   #8
Keires

Hmm that's not cool :| But there is a procedure to reset your CD-key... Maybe I can try it via that way...

Old 12-05-2009, 02:48 AM   #9
Arctic Ice

Volunteer Moderator
Going past the fact that you aren't allowed to sell Steam keys/games (as outlined in the SSA) there is a small leeway.

You, in fact, can transfer a CD-key from one account to another. The process, however, has very hefty limitations and sounds quite tedious.

It might not work in your case but there are a few cases where it will work.

CD Key Reset Process
Old 12-05-2009, 02:56 AM   #10
BrianD000

You must have a copy of your valid purchase receipt from within the last 90 days to have the CD Key moved to your account.

No chance.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:44 PM   #11
0Z3ro0

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD000 View Post
You must have a copy of your valid purchase receipt from within the last 90 days to have the CD Key moved to your account.

No chance.
That's bull. If I can provide proof of the CD's and Serial Key, the Serial Key should be able to get transfered. I can understand not allowing games that are bought online to be traded. Because this would make it EXTREMELY easy for people to rip off steam and other companies.

But if you own both the CD's and CD Key there is no reason (proving proof) that they can't transfer the key other then wanting to be hard asses and make more money.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:56 PM   #12
GDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0Z3ro0 View Post
That's bull. If I can provide proof of the CD's and Serial Key, the Serial Key should be able to get transfered. I can understand not allowing games that are bought online to be traded. Because this would make it EXTREMELY easy for people to rip off steam and other companies.

But if you own both the CD's and CD Key there is no reason (proving proof) that they can't transfer the key other then wanting to be hard asses and make more money.
It's called a license agreement, you don't own the game, never have, never will. You own the ability to use it.

Also, Holy old thread Batman.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:12 AM   #13
0Z3ro0

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDL View Post
It's called a license agreement, you don't own the game, never have, never will. You own the ability to use it.

Also, Holy old thread Batman.
Google doesn't seem to think so. Weather you own the content or not there are VERY simple ways to allow users the ability to pass on their CD games.

However it is the gaming companies and steam that have made the system the way it is, just to make more money. Great everyone needs their cut, but to a point this is pathetic. Possession of both CD's and their Keys should be more then enough to have a game moved over to your account and removed from the old account is was registered to. In fact this is incredibly easy for steam to do and takes about 5 minutes of their time.

Its the fact they think they lose money. The old account no longer has the CD Key so the game is useless the new person would be the only one playing so no money is being lost. The fun is merely being transfered to a new account. I have no problem paying for my games, but the more I deal with this Duplicated CD Key error the more it becomes clear this entire system was built around money, and not brining quality games to us.

It really doesn't matter anymore. 2 more pirated games aren't , I was trying to be open and honest. See where that got me?
Old 01-14-2014, 01:36 AM   #14
Zephon

Quote:
The old account no longer has the CD Key so the game is useless the new person would be the only one playing so no money is being lost. The fun is merely being transfered to a new account. I have no problem paying for my games, but the more I deal with this Duplicated CD Key error the more it becomes clear this entire system was built around money, and not brining quality games to us.

It really doesn't matter anymore. 2 more pirated games aren't , I was trying to be open and honest. See where that got me?
The keys get tied to the accounts, Something the user agrees to.
If you're dealing with duplicate serial keys for games on a regular basis wherever you are getting the games is ripping you off, not Valve.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:50 AM   #15
GDL

Quote:
Google doesn't seem to think so. Weather you own the content or not there are VERY simple ways to allow users the ability to pass on their CD games.
There are, and some developers don't mind you doing so.. others do mind, and it states that within the license agreement. What Google thinks is irrelevant.

Quote:
However it is the gaming companies and steam that have made the system the way it is, just to make more money.
Applications like Steam allow the developers\publishers to control and protect their IP and products, it's not a change to how things are, it's more enforcement of how it was.

Quote:
Great everyone needs their cut, but to a point this is pathetic. Possession of both CD's and their Keys should be more then enough to have a game moved over to your account and removed from the old account is was registered to.
Games are linked to the account, the Steam EULA is an addition to the games license agreement and sometimes overrides it in the case of license transfers.

Quote:
Its the fact they think they lose money. The old account no longer has the CD Key so the game is useless the new person would be the only one playing so no money is being lost.
Each transferred game is a lost sale to the developers\Publishers.. So yea, money is lost.

Last edited by GDL: 01-14-2014 at 02:38 AM.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips