Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Far Cry series

Old 12-11-2009, 06:49 PM   #1
kRo0kEd

Original Far Cry wont work in windows 7 64..

I install it in compatibility mode, installs fine, then crashes after 20 seconds of play. I done everything from safe mode installs to begging the pc gods for mercy. Nothing works. Its version 1.4. I am using windows 7 pro 64 and my specs run crysis at 60 fps with 16xAA on very high. Worked fine on vista 64 bit. Sadly. But I will not even partition my drive to install that diseased OS ever again. Anybody with any success please help.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:05 AM   #2
blondie

Can't remember what I did (sorry ) but I do have it working here on Win7 x64 Pro.
blondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:51 AM   #3
Draek

I did get it working, but like Blondie I can't remember WTF I did I do remember I had to install a library from somewhere before it ran, I think it was the Visual C++ 2005 runtime. If the computer shows an error when it crashes (which it should), post it and I should be able to help you more.
Draek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:16 PM   #4
kRo0kEd

doesnt show an error, my computer just frezzes n screen goes endlessly black
kRo0kEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:31 PM   #5
Ricochet_Saw

that would be called crashing, turn down your graphix settings...
Ricochet_Saw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 03:00 AM   #6
Rob316gold2

have you tried the 64 bit patch for the game. it is a bit old (2005)but it says that it supports 64 bit OS. Granted at the time the 64 bit OS was XP 64. Pick it up at Gamespot.
Rob316gold2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:04 PM   #7
jildon

Yes, try this 64-bit patch:

http://www.fileshack.com/file.x?fid=6934
jildon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:11 AM   #8
cocokiwi

Cool Farcry 64bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob316gold2 View Post
have you tried the 64 bit patch for the game. it is a bit old (2005)but it says that it supports 64 bit OS. Granted at the time the 64 bit OS was XP 64. Pick it up at Gamespot.
Well! I just got it and I did the upgrade to 64bit,It works fine!

You run the Patch, When it asks WHERE you want to put the file!

Use this : X:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\farcry

then enter! and it will do it,s thing! You WILL notice a new ICON on the desktop which will say Farcry 64bit!Add this:

Maybe the cure for the black screen problem : I noticed if you DO NOT activate Steam FIRST and have the games list or just the shop the screen will go black and nothing will show if you double click the 64bit ICON in desktop,don't happen with the 32bit because it is linked to the Steam file system, the 64bit part is not!will look into it!see if I can find it!Hmmm! worked fine tonight directly from Desktop!So ignore cure!(grin)

DO NOT SET COMPATIBLE MODE! It will work fine at 1440x900 32bit
As far as I remember I downloaded the download version file 2 disk on gamespy.a newer version and the 64bit addon would not work as the version # was out of range! Steam has the right version.
You will have TWO versions 32 and 64bit!

I,ve been around this game since it came out,and am very aware of the 64bit mode! (grin)goes back to when Steam did it! I have the ORG disks but the play disk got munged!
Cheers Dennis

Last edited by cocokiwi: 12-28-2009 at 11:11 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:42 PM   #9
Shifter

Hmm weird to hear you all had issues. I backed up the game when I was running XP 32bit, reformatted and when I used the backup to install it worked perfectly without any tinkering.

It's just a shame that I cant actually get to the final boss =[
Old 12-31-2009, 03:59 PM   #10
cmay119

I'm having a weird issue with Far Cry, where if I try to max all the settings, the game won't load (just hangs after launching), set the settings to high, then it launches normally.

This is in Windows 7 RC 7100 with steam version of Far Cry (did this with CD version as well).
cmay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:17 AM   #11
cocokiwi

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kRo0kEd View Post
I install it in compatibility mode, installs fine, then crashes after 20 seconds of play. I done everything from safe mode installs to begging the pc gods for mercy. Nothing works. Its version 1.4. I am using windows 7 pro 64 and my specs run crysis at 60 fps with 16xAA on very high. Worked fine on vista 64 bit. Sadly. But I will not even partition my drive to install that diseased OS ever again. Anybody with any success please help.
Hi,

WELL! I,m running it in 64bit mode and on a quad 940 black box Phenom..It works! I installed the 64bit patch and tweaked it a little! you have to look around abit to find it thoughI love the old game the new one is a joke!

Get the latest nvidia display Driver 195.62 and turn off the Extra Monitor in dual mode! set the Sound mode to Low,turn off anything running in the background! DO NOT USE compatibly mode!
You can use the Admin setting though! right click on the game in your game list in STEAM select Properties and click on Verify cache files,You MUST be in steam and online to use this as it WILL replace a bad file on the fly if it finds one!

The file is : farcry_amd64upgrade_us_uk hang a .exe on the end when you get it,it,s a UK site I got it from! counld not find it here! The ORG AMD site link is bad and don't work!
this file WILL work with the 1.4 Steam version!
Ok! here is where you can download it. they have the SDK 1.4 program also!:http://www.fileshack.com/file.x?fid=6934

you can download without joining or getting the Fast mode!
you will find the Manual in the main file along with the Sandbox Editor!
STEAM\steamapps\common\farcry

OK! to be safe put the Patch inside a new file in the Farcry directory then run it,don't forget the .exe

Enjoy!
Dennis
Old 01-06-2010, 09:40 AM   #12
rrob_mk_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kRo0kEd View Post
doesnt show an error, my computer just frezzes n screen goes endlessly black
It happened to me the first run because I pressed CTRL instead of shift + tab, then I run it again and it took a while to load that second time but after that it was alright, I am still playing with the settings, if you crank up all the AAF and anisotropic in driver settings it takes a lot of time to load and if you crank it up in the game it looks very bright.
I am using the 32 bit version.
Update:
I installed the patch and everything works fine, and for me the best settings for Anti aliasing and anistropic were using the drivers not the in game settings and everything else on Very High

Last edited by rrob_mk_1: 01-06-2010 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:08 AM   #13
JMacGill

About the patch and steam

I'm pretty sure that third party patches on steam games also have a side effect of removing steam from the games .exe (not really removing as the patch .exe simply doesn't contain the call to start steam)

Works on the Unreal games and probably more.
JMacGill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:36 AM   #14
THE Nakedgun

Banned
There are 2 patches for the 64bit version the second one adds higher res textures and furher draw distances.
THE Nakedgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:08 AM   #15
sortedout

linky for the second one?

oops neva' mind I've got em, the

second one adds 'exclusive content' textures et al

Last edited by sortedout: 01-14-2010 at 03:11 AM.
sortedout is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Far Cry series