Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 12-14-2009, 01:37 PM   #1
TomCat25

Windows 7 64-bit and Steam

Hello, all.

I am planning to purchase the full retail version of Windows 7 64-bit, but I am a bit hesitant because I have heard that there are some compatibility issues with Steam and Windows 7 64-bit. I've posted on Microsoft's support forums, and they couldn't give me any information regarding Steam compatibility. I ran the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor, and on the list of compatible programs, Steam was not listed. It also listed Half-Life and Opposing Force as possible compatibility issues for Windows 7 64-bit (not that I play them often).

So, I'm asking those of you who currently are using Windows 7 64-bit and use Steam often like I do: Have you noticed any issues, big or small, while running Steam on Win7 64-bit?

Thank you, and I appreciate all responses.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:55 PM   #2
dillonsurdaddy

I use windows 7 home premium 64 bit. i upgraded from vista and didnt do a fresh install and all still works perfect for me. No issues at all. I love w7
Old 12-14-2009, 01:57 PM   #3
T Rush

no problems at all with Steam and the games we have with Win7 64-bit

the introduction of Windows 7 is going much better(with compatibility) than XP or Vista could have ever dreamed of
T Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:09 PM   #4
Europhoria

No issues here except for a few games that weren't compatible with Win7 64bit at first (Darkstar One fixed itself somehow as did a few other casual games). Mass Effect just required me to run both Steam and the Mass Effect .exe in administrator mode and reports are that the game 'East Indian Company' do not work in Win7.
Europhoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:17 PM   #5
sooNAHmee

Don't hesitate to buy Windows 7; it's awesome. Any issues that may come up come be easily worked around and it's easy to get help on this forum.
Also, I'd recommend you buy the OEM version rather than full retail. Retail is $199? OEM can be had for less than a retail upgrade - $95 at Newegg with a coupon code - $105 without the code. (I have the code if you'd like it)
sooNAHmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:20 PM   #6
Timon5022

I can only agree.. No problems here.. The only real issue I've had with my Win7 is that I can't play the old AoE2 :/ That doesn't necessarily have anything to do with it being 64bit or anything... But really, other than that, the compatibility is just, flawless actually.

I know many people probably tell you to stick with XP or something because they know that work.. well in most cases, if you experience issues with your 64bit version, the way to fix it usually doesn't take more than a few minutes to ensure it runs flawlessly.

Don't worry 64bit is definitively the way to go.
Timon5022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:52 PM   #7
Europhoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon5022 View Post
I can only agree.. No problems here.. The only real issue I've had with my Win7 is that I can't play the old AoE2 :/ That doesn't necessarily have anything to do with it being 64bit or anything... But really, other than that, the compatibility is just, flawless actually.

I know many people probably tell you to stick with XP or something because they know that work.. well in most cases, if you experience issues with your 64bit version, the way to fix it usually doesn't take more than a few minutes to ensure it runs flawlessly.

Don't worry 64bit is definitively the way to go.
I don't understand why people don't buy the 64bit version. Hardly anything has broken for me, just some plug-ins like flash which won't work in 64bit browsers, my PC wouldn't dual boot into Win7 (5 minute fix with the DVD), a few games broke (but most fixed themselves), some things require administrator mode, DirectX 10 mode in Red Faction: Guerrilla was horribly slow, and...that's it. I had far more problems with XP (not many there either) thanks to those dang blaster and sasser worms, but on the plus side, I learnt a few things about security.
Europhoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:53 PM   #8
bdeimen

I have had no problems whatsoever with steam or any of my games on windows 7 64 bit.
bdeimen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:59 PM   #9
GrandpaQ

Same here win7 64bit runs great.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:00 PM   #10
BMalik

I have had some issues with TF2 and Win7 64bit. My game crashes everytime the server changes map and sometime it gets stuck on the sound loop and makes my video drivers crash. Other than that no problems at all with any other games.
BMalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:18 PM   #11
Epsilon

I'm using 7 64-bit and everything's fine here, too.

Also, 13.16% of Steam users are using Win7 64-bit, so everything should be fine!

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey
Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:21 PM   #12
CaptainK17

No issues here at all. Running Win7 Ultimate X64.

Nothing wrong with TF2, and have played all the way through HL and OP4.

Steam is really the only app I run through windows though, as it's on an iMac, but overall, it seems much improved over Vista, and light years ahead of xp.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips