Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 08:11 PM   #1
jethrosoup

Steam says I'm not connected to internet

I'm running Windows 7 64bit. Steam has worked for me for as long as I can remember until now. I get the error, "Steam.exe (main exception): To run Steam, you must first connect to the Internet"

Of course, I'm connected to the internet. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Steam, to no avail.

My internet connection is currently whitelisted, so it's possible a website is getting blocked, but I can't figure out which one, if one exists. Are there any websites besides steampowered.com that it needs to run? Thanks!

Old 12-17-2009, 08:18 PM   #2
Bearkin

Banned
No idea if this is even revelant but are you running it as an administrator? Again, I don't even have Windows 7 so I don't even know if that's still an issue like it was in Vista.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:24 PM   #3
jethrosoup

I tried running it as an administrator, but it still just hangs at the update window for a bit until it gives me the error.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:16 PM   #4
jethrosoup

So, what sites besides steampowered.com are needed to run Steam? Are there any special sites where downloads are hosted or something?

Old 12-17-2009, 09:22 PM   #5
Bearkin

Banned
Have you changed your firewall settings or changed/installed anything that could potentially affect your internet?
Old 12-17-2009, 09:48 PM   #6
MADDOGGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethrosoup View Post
I'm running Windows 7 64bit. Steam has worked for me for as long as I can remember until now. I get the error, "Steam.exe (main exception): To run Steam, you must first connect to the Internet"

Of course, I'm connected to the internet. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Steam, to no avail.

My internet connection is currently whitelisted, so it's possible a website is getting blocked, but I can't figure out which one, if one exists. Are there any websites besides steampowered.com that it needs to run? Thanks!
I run Win7 64 and have no problem connecting to Steam normally unless they are having server problems. Make sure you have given permissions to any firewalls and or AV you are running. You shouldn't need any other site to run Steam. Try restarting your PC if you haven't done so yet.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:30 PM   #7
jethrosoup

Everything checks out with the firewall and AV. Steam has all of the permissions it needs.

I'll mess with my router to see if any part of Steam is getting blocked by the whitelist. Any other suggestions as to what might be causing this?

Old 12-28-2010, 04:21 PM   #8
spartan1323

im having the same problem. have you figured it out yet?

Old 12-28-2010, 10:50 PM   #9
Pots'N'Pans

I'M HAVING THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM AS WELL. Windows 7 64bit.

I've done everything, to deleting specific files, and i re-installed steam twice now and it gives me the same message after it "tries" to update being stuck at 0%. "Steam.exe (main exception): To run Steam, you must first connect to the Internet"
I checked my firewall and anti virus, everything is clear.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Old 06-27-2011, 02:47 PM   #10
athenastar17

Still unsolved?

I'm going to revive this topic because I'm having the same problem and I can't find a solution. I have checked that I'm online, restarted, reinstalled steam several times, deleted the "blob" file several times, repaired steam installation, turned off my firewall, logged in on a browser to make sure the steam servers are running, tried at several different days and different times of day - everything. I'm running a brand spanking new Windows 7 64-bit laptop. Steam worked fine on my old Windows XP laptop. I don't know what else to do.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:05 AM   #11
athenastar17

The solution I found:
It seems the internet at my place of residence was blocking steam. It wasn't my connection or my firewall, but the ones providing my internet. It works fine on a university wi-fi network. Which...sucks, since apparently I can't connect to steam at home where I would actually play games.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:23 AM   #12
falcondimon

I've got same problem, but I can log into my acc. It just says no connection and i cant normally play anything! When I log into my brother's account, everything's fine, but on mine... I also tried logging on different computers, but still nothing.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:48 AM   #13
Wazgrel

Same problem... Some of my friends are online (I can see through steam profile page), but I get NO CONNECTION error at the bottom of the screen.

HALP!!!

Edit: Aaaargh!! Let me in!! Not cool dude, I need my fix!!

Last edited by Wazgrel: 06-28-2011 at 04:56 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:15 AM   #14
kassarin

Its back... the bug... ITS BACK... OH THE HORROR T-T
Old 06-28-2011, 05:18 AM   #15
Sierra Oscar

Volunteer Moderator
Lets try and keep it to this thread. Thanks!
Closed Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips