Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 12-17-2009, 09:26 PM   #1
shadolife

Question internet's down; Steam won't start in offline mode

Long story short, AT&T sucks and messed up my account and now I'm stuck offline for the week. My only connection is through my phone.

Steam keeps trying to update. When it fails to connect, I'm given the option to start in offline mode, but fails to launch due to there being no connection.

I've started in offline before. My roommate can start his account in offline mode. What can I do to resolve this?

Thanks!
Old 12-17-2009, 09:38 PM   #2
Maledict21

If Steam thinks it needs to update, it won't start in offline mode. The only way to get it to start in offline mode again is to go online and let it verify that it's up to date.
Maledict21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:41 PM   #3
shadolife

Any way to make it think otherwise?
shadolife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:49 PM   #4
Maledict21

I don't think so. This has been a problem for quite some time.
Maledict21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:59 AM   #5
ester25

did you disable all your network connections?
ester25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:18 PM   #6
shadolife

Yeah. Doesn't help.

Tried reverting to older versions of specific files as well with no luck. Deleting the .blog files isn't helping either.
shadolife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:00 AM   #7
ester25

once you have deleted the .blob file, that is the end. you will not be able to go to offline mode no matter what - the login info is cached in that file
Old 06-24-2010, 05:07 PM   #8
MidnightFox

anyone ever find a FIX to this problem? been having to deal with this for a while when i'm offline no thanks to a thunderstorm.
MidnightFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:50 PM   #9
Playerp228

I had this problem last week while I was on vacation. I was connected on satellite at a relatives house and steam tried to update. I closed it down, apparently, before it finished and when I got back to the place I was staying steam wouldnt start in offline mode. I had to drive 20 miles to a library that had free wifi, open steam, close steam and then it allowed me to start it in offline mode.
Playerp228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:50 AM   #10
Crazie_Guy

This has happened to me both times I've lost my connection unexpectedly. It offers to start in offline mode, then fails to do so saying it has no network connection. I know there is no network connection, thats why I told it to start in offline mode.

It's been like this for a while... Are they actually working on fixing it?
Crazie_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:10 AM   #11
ester25

I dunno guys, it worked fine for me last week. Have you disabled your network connections?
Old 07-18-2011, 11:40 AM   #12
Unclebetty32k

any ideas?

I don't think it has anything to do with steam updating at all, cause last night I was playing Rome: Total war on steam and steam didn't need to update at all, the only thing I needed to update recently was team fortress 2, and I finished that update, so offline mode shouldn't be a problem, but it is!

every time I have start steam in offline, a window always pops up that says, "Steam is now updating" which is odd since how would it know to update at all if it's in offline? I know I know: "it's because steam had to update and you shut it off !"
Ok, but if that was true, wouldn't have steam have done that "steam is now updating" window even though I was online!? but no it didn't!

So really I have think that it's totally different problem with steam all together, cause if I can't play any of my games, just because Steam is offline, even though I have all the neccesary files installed on my damn computer, I wanna smash my fist through the monitor!

So does anyone have any clue why this is?

Last edited by Unclebetty32k: 07-18-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:45 AM   #13
noctroglyph

This has been happening to me as well non-stop for the past 2 weeks. I bring my Netbook with me to use on the commute (yes, amazingly, the Ion2 chips can play several games), but when I start with no connection: same thing: steam checks for updates, can't connect to the net, asks if I want to start in offline mode, then says it can't because there is no network connection available (well, DUH.)

Valve guys: any thoughts?

~N~
Old 08-18-2011, 11:39 AM   #14
HellGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclebetty32k View Post
Ok, but if that was true, wouldn't have steam have done that "steam is now updating" window even though I was online!? but no it didn't!
Steam tries to autoupdate if there's no .blob file, which you removed. I'm sorry, but you're really screwed now. You can only play on your account if you have internet now.
HellGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:23 PM   #15
desolation0

Yay, a thread I get to say 'Me too!' to that I wouldn't be totally necroing. Almost every time I've needed to start Steam in offline mode because the connection is down, I've gotten the "Could not connect to the Steam network. Either retry, start steam in offline mode, or quit." and followed by "Steam couldn't start offline mode because there is no Internet connection." Every time I've set to offline manually, it's worked fine. A fix would be much appreciated for this, already.
desolation0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Tags
offline mode