Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 12-25-2009, 03:46 PM   #1
milkweg

Banned
How to make Steam games run in admin mode?

Any game I try to run in admin mode on Vista and/or Win7 says it is currently unavailable and to try again later in Steam client.
WTF? I have Steam games that need admin access and can't run them in that mode.
Old 12-25-2009, 04:39 PM   #2
ElChrisman99

My steam games work just fine on my computer (yes its windows 7) I think if you have multiple accounts, it will only run on the main account. Is that your problem, running it on a diffrent account?
Old 12-25-2009, 04:44 PM   #3
milkweg

Banned
Nope, I have only the one main account. I had the same issue back with Vista 64bit too. Maybe it is due to 64bit? You use Win7 64bit? You run any Steam games in administrator mode? I'm not saying I can't run the games, I'm saying I can't run any as admin. I know it's not just me because I have discussed it before and other people said they had the same issue. I think you misunderstood what I meant so hopefully this will clear it up. I'm talking about trying to run games as administrator in Steam games, some older games require it to save settings etc. Like Ghostmaster.
milkweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 04:44 PM   #4
minerva79

I run Steam on admin mode all the time.... right clicky on the Steam application file, and choose option to run as admin?

Anyway, running Steam on admin mode doesnt mean that the games are running in admin mode. You would need to go to the individual games file to choose stuff like compatibility or running as admin or other variations.
minerva79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 04:46 PM   #5
Fthree

Have you tried deleting your ClientRegistry.blob or actually restarting your computer/steam. I think ElChrisman99 is correct, mine also works perfectly on win7 ultimate 32bit.
Fthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 04:51 PM   #6
ElChrisman99

I use win7 64bit, I dont mess with anything, I just installed steam and my games, they worked fine off the bat, dont know whats wrong then dude, sorry
Old 12-25-2009, 04:56 PM   #7
milkweg

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by minerva79 View Post
I run Steam on admin mode all the time.... right clicky on the Steam application file, and choose option to run as admin?

Anyway, running Steam on admin mode doesnt mean that the games are running in admin mode. You would need to go to the individual games file to choose stuff like compatibility or running as admin or other variations.
You don't need to do that for Steam client because it runs as a service so already has admin access. I'm talking about the individual games themselves. Go to the exe of a game and right click and select properties and then set it to run as admin and click apply or ok. Now try to run the game. What happens?
Old 12-25-2009, 05:00 PM   #8
milkweg

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChrisman99 View Post
I use win7 64bit, I dont mess with anything, I just installed steam and my games, they worked fine off the bat, dont know whats wrong then dude, sorry
Most games do run fine but some older games need admin access to be able to save their settings. Ghostmaster keeps setting back to default when I run it because it can't save its option settings because it can't run as admnin from within Steam client. Also, like I said before, I have games In use with a Fanbg programmable pad and it loads the corect config by recognizing the game exe and it never recognizes any game that is never running as amdmin for some reason. I have installed my Fang to Win7 yet but that is how it was on Vista64. The annoying thing is that this was not an issue at one time but Valve changed something in the Steam client that has made it an issue. Probably something to do with making the client a service.
Old 12-25-2009, 05:10 PM   #9
milkweg

Banned
BTW, here's another issue with one particular Steam game. The game Il2-1946 has a config utility for changing graphics and sound optins. You can choose OpenGL or Directx, for example. It won't run in the Steam version. It brings up the Steam client instead.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:59 PM   #10
milkweg

Banned
OK, got it sorted now. To run Steam games in admin mode you have to create a shortcut to the game on your desktop or start menu and then set that to run in admin mode. Only odd thing is that now I set one game shortcut to run in admin mode every Steam game desktop shortcut I create thereafter is already set to admin mode, which is fine with me but it is weird that Steam would do that. It is also odd that Steam says a game is unavailable to play if you try to run a game from the client that is set to admin mode. This is something that should be fixed, or changed, if it is by design.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:24 AM   #11
basile7031

hy
I want to get administrator in Dungeon Defender is possible?
What should I do?
:
basile7031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:40 AM   #12
XvG-L0LZ0AR

Shouldn't you simply go to the installation folder, right click on the icon and select run as admin?? O.O
XvG-L0LZ0AR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:14 AM   #13
basile7031

Tanck's for your reply but I don't undestand. I want to give admin in the game's. Waht you tell me I give a error becaus I don't have cont. " Unable to log on: Logon failure use account restriction. Possible reason are blank passwords not allowed logon gour restrictions, o policy restriction has been engorced.I can do admin in the game? (Dungeon Defender)Only if run game icon and I click run ????
Thanks
basile7031 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips