Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 12-26-2009, 09:51 AM   #1
RaYYaN

Can't accept Gifts

My friend sent me a Copy of Assassin's creed and Red Faction Guerrilla, and first they appeared in my games list.
When I clicked activate the following thing popped up as normal:

Gift Ready
You've received a gift.....

However, when I click the Open My Gift button at the bottom of the dialog box, nothing happens.

So I closed steam and restarted it, but then the games weren't under My Games tab

I opened the link in my e-mail, the same dialog box opened, but again nothing happens when I click open gift

Any ideas on how I can accept these Gifts?

Thanks

Last edited by RaYYaN: 12-26-2009 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:09 AM   #2
Redrum_and_Coke

I had gifted a game to a friend and he had a similar issue. You'll need to open a ticket under Steam Support. After 3 messages with them (each of which took about 3 days for them to respond to), they manually accepted the game for him since he could not. This may be what they need to do for you too.

Of course, when they did that, they reset our passwords. My friend was able to use the "Retrieve Account" field to log back in but whenever I used that option, it never sent the verification e-mail. So now, I can't log into Steam to play my games. Been locked out since last Thursday and I'm not expecting them to respond to my request to fix it until Monday (so much for playing games over my holiday vacation). Then, I figure it'll take them until next Friday to actually fix it.

The moral of the story is that they will be able to fix it, just don't expect a quick turnaround time (they really need to hire more customer service reps). Also, be warned that they may simply create another problem when fixing the original issue, thereby making you wait even longer to play YOUR games.

Wish I had better news for you. Happy holidays!
Redrum_and_Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:14 AM   #3
RaYYaN

Thanks for the reply
I have already sent them a message, guess we can only wait and see now

Last edited by RaYYaN: 12-26-2009 at 11:50 AM.
RaYYaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:12 PM   #4
Reyna32

I am having the same problems, I was gifted Dragon Age and the Star Wars Jedi Knight package and can't open either one of them, sent in a ticket and now waiting for a response:/
Old 12-26-2009, 12:15 PM   #5
RaYYaN

Hmmm

Maybe they are so overloaded, that we receive the gift and can see it, but their system doesn't register us accepting it

It happened to people I know when paying also, they needed a few tries for their transactions to go through
Old 12-26-2009, 12:30 PM   #6
Miami Ted

Banned
Same issue here .-.
Sent a ticket as well

you know, they REALLY oughta overhaul the gift system to where double clicking the gifted game in your 'my games' window = activate gift, rather than opening the OPEN MY HURR DURR window
Miami Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:31 PM   #7
Reyna32

Might be cause of the holidays and everyone sending gifts, i will keep trying while waiting on a response, oddly enough tho when i try to open from my email it says i dont have the tools to view this website when just a month ago i received L4D2 as a gift and was able to open it from my email...
Old 12-26-2009, 12:54 PM   #8
RaYYaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyna32 View Post
Might be cause of the holidays and everyone sending gifts, i will keep trying while waiting on a response, oddly enough tho when i try to open from my email it says i dont have the tools to view this website when just a month ago i received L4D2 as a gift and was able to open it from my email...
Are you using firefox?
If you are this is how you fix that

Go to Tools > Options > Applications
Type Steam in the search box, and when it appears change action to using the steam program
That allows it to work fine

Not sure how to remedy the problem in IE

I agree with you Ted, they should work on the Gifts system a little
Old 12-26-2009, 01:02 PM   #9
Miami Ted

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYYaN View Post
Are you using firefox?
If you are this is how you fix that

Go to Tools > Options > Applications
Type Steam in the search box, and when it appears change action to using the steam program
That allows it to work fine

Not sure how to remedy the problem in IE

I agree with you Ted, they should work on the Gifts system a little
I tried what you said, about options/applications.

Steam doesn't even appear in the list.
Firefox 3.whatever here
Miami Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 01:30 PM   #10
RaYYaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Ted View Post

Firefox 3.whatever here
Hmm
Once I clicked the e-mail link an error popped up saying steam isn't associated with any program, after that I was able to see steam under options, I have Firefox v3.5

Also, does anyone know how long it might take for the gift to work, be redeemable?
Old 12-26-2009, 01:30 PM   #11
Reyna32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Ted View Post

Firefox 3.whatever here
Getting the same thing, it will not appear.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:58 PM   #12
RaYYaN

Anyone have any ideas on how I can redeem the game, while I wait for Steam support to reply

I'd really like to play these games
Old 12-27-2009, 09:36 PM   #13
Reyna32

I still can't open mine either..
Old 02-28-2010, 12:17 PM   #14
drogor

Angry I am so fnin mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is no if and's or but's about it they need to fix this absolute piece of crap gifting system that they have it doesn't work for crap! This is the most ridiculous system I have ever seen in my life online! For a company that has so much going for it to have such an epic face palm piece of crap gifting system is BULL! I can't get my gift I want my gift and I want it now! What the hell and I have to wait 24 hours so the person can resend my gift thats BULLCRAP! I'm so angry I'm being polite right now and having to wait 2 or 3 days for a response is unacceptable! The people at Steam who made this system of gifting need to beaten to a pulp because they don't understand how much it simply doesn't work this simply should not happen and now I went to get my gift from the e-mail link because trying to get my gift in Steam sure the hell didnt work so now it tells me my gift is REVOKED Steam you can suck on this! All I got to say is you better fix this GIGANTOR load of crap system of gifting you have!!!!!! If you can't tell I'm really really jarateed offf!!!! I have every right to be also I have spent alot of money in Steam on games!
drogor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:20 PM   #15
RaYYaN

Every system has bugs, but I have only had one problem with gifts, even though I have got many

I actually got a response the day after the holiday.
And they responded extremely fast after that, and my problem was solved quickly.

They are very professional, but also very busy
Just be patient and they will solve your probelm

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips