Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Knights of Honor

Old 12-28-2009, 09:58 PM   #1
Jesse_Dylan

Won't run full screen.

No matter what I do, this game insists upon running in a little 1024x768 window in the middle of my screen. It apparently disables scaling or something.

It also insists upon showing me the LONG company logo movies each time I boot it up. The intro movie is skippable with a shift-click.

I wish someone read these forums so I could maybe get help. The official forums have been shut down, and I don't know if the game is receiving tech support any longer.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:29 AM   #2
YahooElite

Sorry but thats just how the game is, keep in mind that KOH isnt a new game and as such doesnt use high resolutions and its not the type of game that requires high res's.
YahooElite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:40 AM   #3
Jesse_Dylan

I've got plenty of other games that run in even lower resolutions (Tropico 2 or Port Royale 2, for instance), and they have no trouble being scaled up to fill the screen. I don't understand why KoH should be any different.

Running it in a tiny window on a big screen is atrocious. Like any other older 2D game, it should scale up.

| |
| _______________ |
| | | |
| | | |
| | KoH | |
| | | |
| | | |
| |______________| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
|______________________________________________|

It looks like that instead of stretching to fill up the screen. Other games scale fine, so I'm wondering if there's something in an ini file or something preventing it.

Edit: ugh, well it screwed it up. Looks fine in the edit box here, but not after I hit "save". Sigh.... Anyway the little KoH window is supposed to be in the middle. Like a donut kinda.

Last edited by Jesse_Dylan: 12-31-2009 at 08:45 AM.
Jesse_Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:38 AM   #4
YahooElite

Your forgetting that T2 and PR2 are newer then KOH well PR2 is anyway.

to put it plainly KOH doesnt support Widescreen res's. KOH is 4 years old and as far as i know there werent too many games back then that supported widescreen resolutions.. i dont even think they were mainstream back then like they are now.

Besides, theres a difference between games that are 2D, and games that are a mix of 2d/3d and then full 3D.

as KOH is a 2D game with low end graphics it has no use for high res, PR2 and T2 as far as i know are more graphic and as such has more reason to allow higher res's.
YahooElite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:41 AM   #5
Jesse_Dylan

Tropico 2 is newer? Well what about Tropico 1 then, or Disciples II or Jagged Alliance 2?

I understand it runs in 1024x768 resolution only. I have no problem with that. My problem is that it doesn't scale up to fit the screen. It runs, in 1900x1080 resolution, in a tiny little window in the middle of my screen. I don't mind if there are big black borders on the sides. I just want it to scale up.

Jagged Alliance 2, for instance, runs in 1024x768, but it scales up and fills the whole screen except for the borders on the sides (because it wouldn't maintain aspect ratio in that case).

I feel as though I am not explaining this in a clear manner. I apologize for that, but I don't know how else to phrase it.

Ah! I'll get a screenshot. I don't know why I didn't think of that earlier. I'm dumb.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:02 PM   #6
DryHeat1729

Now I have fullscreen

I stumbled across a solution that gives me full-screen while playing Knights of Honor.

There is a file in the KOH install directory called KOH.in2
Find the section called Video.
Make sure fullscreen=1, and set mode to 137.
Here's what mine looks like:

[video]

fullscreen = 1
mode = 137
width = 1024
height = 768
freq = 60

You may have to experiment with the mode= value.

I came across this while re-adjusting the game. When you run KOH for the first time, it gives you the option to pick the video resolution from a drop-down list. It gave me a list of six options, but only 2 of the options were unique values. The others were just repeats. (1024x768 at 50hz, and 1024x768 at 60hz). I picked item number 4, which was the first 1024x768 at 60hz option. This resulted in the mode=137 value.

I edited the KOH.in2 file by hand, and put in 1366x768 as my resolution, which my laptop supports. However, KOH does not recognize this value. This caused the select video option to reappear when I ran the game again, just like when I first installed KOH. That is when I picked the 1024x768 at 60hz option, resulting in the settings I listed above.

KOH now fills up the whole 14-inch screen on my laptop, instead of the "letterbox" display I had before.

I hope this explanation makes some sense.

DryHeat
Old 07-01-2010, 02:10 PM   #7
Jesse_Dylan

I was so excited when I read this! Unfortunately, I do not have a file by that name anywhere on my hard drive. I tried running the game, and it ran just like it did before (though I've uninstalled and reinstalled it since). Gave me no video options, and after turning it exit, I still don't see the file. Why would mine not have the same file? I've manually checked every directory I could think of as well.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:04 PM   #8
DryHeat1729

koh.in2 file

Sorry to hear you could not find it.
My koh.in2 file is located in:

c:\Users\<my name>\AppData\Roaming\Black Sea Studios\Knights Of Honor

I used Windows Search to find it.
Windows Key + F is the keyboard shortcut for it.
(I'm using Windows 7, btw.)
That's letter k, letter o, letter h, dot, letter i, letter n, number 2.
I'll check back later to see if you found it.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:28 AM   #9
Jesse_Dylan

Found it!

I hate to keep using you for tech support, but I used the search function (also using Win7), and it did not find it. However, when you pointed me to the file path, it was exactly where you said it would be. :/ That's kind of vexing. I'm sure I'm doing something wonky. I feel like a dingdong, but I used to be able to search effectively in previous Windows editions.

Well, all that aside, thank you SO MUCH! You're brilliant for figuring this out, and I hope it's helpful to anyone else who has the problem and hopefully comes across the solution. Barring my inability to search effectively, everything worked for me exactly as you described it. I wish the developers would put out some kind of fix. It was basically unplayable before, but now I can enjoy this fascinating, cool, one of a kind game.

One note. For me, putting in 137 as the value resulted in getting the video mode selection box again (which suited me just fine). I noticed now that there is a "test" option. Maybe I was being hasty when I first played the game and didn't bother to test since all three video modes were exactly the same. Poo on the developers for not being more clear.

Anyway, I tested each one. I found the cruddy one I had before (playing in a box in the center of the screen), a stretch mode (stretching it to fill my entire widescreen), and a zoomed box mode, which is what I want. It fills the screen but maintains aspect ratio, so I've just got the bars on the side. Perfect! I checked, and my "mode" value is 69, whatever that means.

Thank you again. I never would have figured this out on my own. Games spread their files out all over the place these days. :P Maybe if all the files had been in the main directory I'd have thought to poke in the in2.

Thank you thank you thank you!
Old 09-17-2011, 03:32 PM   #10
Delta21

I am using an EeePC from Asus. The only 2 resolutions allowed are 800x600 and 1024x600. I can't get the game to run in either mode, but because it's window, the bottom part of the screen always goes "below"(which pretty much cripples everything, since that is the section where you make your first character, and manage some stuff in KoH). Help me please.
Delta21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Knights of Honor