Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Railroads

Old 12-29-2009, 12:24 PM   #1
Coconut33

Crash Fix for Vista/Windows 7

There seems to be an issue where after playing the game for some time, it just locks up and then crashes. After some thorough research, it appears to be an issue where the game does not have the required setup to be allocated certain portions of your ram. In order to fix this, we must set it up so that it can get to this ram.

There are two fixes I know of, both involving modified .exe's, one worked for me while the other didn't.

Disclaimer: Modified .exe's are being used with Steam, which may be a hazard to your account. However, I asked around on the forum and many people have done it and said it's fine. In addition, I am using a modified .exe myself, so I sincerely believe it will be fine.

Fix #1: This .exe has the fix already applied to it
Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?oqvgqywwemd
  • Replace your railroads.exe in "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's railroads" with the downloaded .exe

Fix #2 (Courtesy of Zorander and Warll): Manually apply the fix
Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?lfgz2d0yytz
  • Copy your Railroads.exe from "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's railroads" to your editbin "3gb_enabler2 unzipped" directory
  • Go to your start menu and find command prompt, open it by right clicking it and pressing run as administrator.
  • Change to your unzipped 3gb directiory where you have editbin.exe by using the "cd" command. example: cd "users/coconut33/desktop/3GB enabler"
  • Type "editbin.exe /LARGEADDRESSAWARE Railroads.exe" (no quotes)
  • Extra Step for Vista 32: 4b. Type "BCDEDIT /set increaseuserva 2900" (no quotes). (Note: System boards vary; if 2900 does not work try 3072)
  • Copy the patched Railroads.exe back to your "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's railroads" to your editbin "3gb_enabler2 unzipped" directory

Note: If anything goes wrong for either fix, don't worry. Just delete the railroads.exe from the folder and then launch Railroads. It will automatically download the original steam copy again.

Best of luck.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:41 PM   #2
blaze591

Didn't work for me

Well, it didn't work at all for me. Why is the modified .exe three times the size of the original? Real shame, it's a great game when it works - which it didn't do for any longer than about five minutes. I really feel totally cheated by this.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:38 AM   #3
Warll

The file shouldn't be more than a few bits larger.

The 3Gb enabler dosn't fix everything, in fact what it does is very limited. I suggest that you run SMR in window mode and have task manager open while playing. If the game reaches 2GB of RAM and then crashes then you need the 3GB enabler, other wise something else is wrong.

Anyway here is an updated 3Gb enabler I edited specifically for SMR, I suggest you use this one if the exe provided by coconut is buggy: http://www.smrsimple.com/2009/12/pla...s-3gb-enabler/
Warll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:02 PM   #4
((BB))™ Craig

Thanks a million! This works...Got this game for my son and couldn't stand the crashes...now I'm hooked! Thanks again!
Old 01-10-2010, 09:17 AM   #5
morte

Very grateful for the information, the replacement exe appears to be working fine. Love this game and saved a wasted purchase, thanks.
morte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:48 AM   #6
icedude904

work for me thanks alot
icedude904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:28 AM   #7
davel23

This works perfectly for me, thanks! I went from crashes every 1-2 minutes to being able to play for over three hours uninterrupted! Huge thanks to all responsible!

Edit: Is there any way to request a sticky for this? It basically makes an unplayable game playable again. Would probably save people a lot of time and headache...

Last edited by davel23: 08-11-2010 at 07:38 AM.
davel23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:49 AM   #8
5i1as

This sounds like a great fix. But I've got a question. If users can hack a fix with modified .exe programs, why doesn't Steam or Sid release a patch that addresses the issue?

Is there a way to submit this issue to either of them?
Old 12-20-2010, 08:00 PM   #9
Kris_xK

Altered exe works fine, looks legit.

Thanks a lot!
Old 12-20-2010, 11:06 PM   #10
MattyGroch

See, my problem is not that the game crashes during play, but the second I get to the load screen for a scenario or to play multiplayer, the game goes to a Windows "not responding" error, followed by a crash to desktop. I can't play at all. Any idea if this fix would help me?
MattyGroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 04:34 AM   #11
byjimini

Just a tip for anyone doing this - make sure you close Steam first before copying over the .exe file, otherwise it won't work. I did it then tried to play and it kept crashing every few minutes. So I re-downloaded the file, closed Steam and copied it over, I haven't had a crash since.

*touches wood*
byjimini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:06 PM   #12
MikeMaximus

Thanks for this! I haven't tested it extensively yet, but so far I haven't crashed since.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:45 PM   #13
MadBlade

thanks alot! just what I needed!
MadBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:19 PM   #14
zippythezip

Works, no crashes here
zippythezip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:01 PM   #15
Out2lunch

This method works for Win 7 x64

Step 1 -

Quote:
Just a tip for anyone doing this - make sure you close Steam first before copying over the .exe file, otherwise it won't work. I did it then tried to play and it kept crashing every few minutes. So I re-downloaded the file, closed Steam and copied it over, I haven't had a crash since.

Step 2 -

Quote:
Fix #1: This .exe has the fix already applied to it
Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?oqvgqywwemd
Replace your railroads.exe in "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's railroads" with the downloaded .exe

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Railroads