Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Jade Empire: Special Edition

Old 12-29-2009, 01:47 PM   #1
cornontheCoD

Does it run on laptops?

Alright, so when KoTOR was on sale for $2 or something awesome like that, I bought it since I heard it was good. Unfortunately, Bioware forgot to mention in the system specifications that IT DOESN"T RUN ON ANY LAPTOPS! Now I am extremely angry and not trusting of Bioware, and PC gaming in general (bought Thief 3 also, that doesn't run on laptops).

Now, I get it. Laptops aren't the best for PC gaming. I know that now. please don't respond with "LOL Laptop gaming get a desktop". This is Bioware's fault, not mine.

So, since this is a bioware game, too, can I run it on a laptop? Anyone know?

(Just the fact that I have to do this for every game I buy is a huge downside for PC gaming. Get with it developers! I would like it if your game could run on my computer, but if it can't, at least tell me.)

Old 12-29-2009, 01:49 PM   #2
Numnums

thats funny as im running KOTOR on my laptop.........

not even a gaming laptop.....toshiba satellite with a 4500m

what laptop do you have? because i can run thief 3 as well on mine.

I dont think this is a bioware problem.

if you cant run those on your laptop then forget about Jade.
Numnums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:52 PM   #3
devenemy

I don't think it's particularly Bioware or any software developer's fault that you can't run their games. They're creating games to be run on systems that can handle it. If they were to just cater to your every whim by making it playable on a laptop, then they'd have to downgrade a lot of things, make the engines run slower, lower the graphics, etc. You might as well tell all the developers out there to just start making games for PCs from the 90s, then I'm sure you could play it.

Simply put, it's not the developer's fault. If they chose to lower the system requirements of their games, people with decent rigs would get shafted and get a much crappier game.
devenemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:01 PM   #4
cornontheCoD

Sorry for the confusion, I am not saying that my system specs aren't up to snuff. I have 2 gigs of ram and a Geforce 8600. Just for an example, I can run TF2 on high settings, etc.

I am saying that I cannot launch the game. It gives me an error when I launch it. I looked on the forums for both games, and many other people (only the ones with laptops) were having the same problems.

The problem with Kotor is supposedly that most laptop monitors run at 59 Hz while normal monitors run at 60.

Everyone I have told about these problems is stunned, saying that it is impossible that just because it is a laptop, it doesn't work. But that is the truth.

I have a HP pavilion dv9000.

And like it or not, this is Bioware's fault. They should at least tell me that it won't run on (most) laptops.

Last edited by cornontheCoD: 12-29-2009 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:17 PM   #5
Numnums

you say "most" laptops but it runs on both my brothers laptops, a dell 1525 and a HP pavilion.......

my buddy just said it runs on his old sony vaio.(we are having a lan party atm)we all bought it on the weekend deal.

could it be a conflict with the laptop drivers?
Numnums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:19 PM   #6
bigbossnlo

I have an HP Pavilion 2990 and have no problems running KOTOR. I actually haven't had any problems running any games that I meet the system reqs for.

My specs are
Intel Core 2 Duo T5750 @ 2.00 GHz 2.00 GHz
3.00 GB of RAM
Nvidia GeForce 8400M GS with 128 GB VRAM
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

As for the 59 Hz problem, try opening your Nvidia control panel and look at the resolution section. There should be an option to change your refresh rate from 59 to 60.

It's not the developer's fault that you can't run their game. Have you tried looking around for fixes? I'd say get it anyway while it is 3.75. Even if it turns out that you can't run it at least you will have it for later on when you get a new computer.

As for me, I am downloading Jade Empire right now. I have been waiting for it to go on sale along with Mass Effect for the entire sale. Good Luck!

Last edited by bigbossnlo: 12-29-2009 at 02:28 PM.
bigbossnlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:08 PM   #7
glassypool

I think it just won't run on "SOME" laptops, and the reason could also be because of an OS issue, or a driver issue. Not BioWares fault here.

Anyway I hope to pick up Jade Empire too.
glassypool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:07 PM   #8
cornontheCoD

Alright, there is a refresh rate option on my laptop, but the only choice is 59 hz

Anyways, I still think that if their game doesn't work on my computer, it is still their fault. If they can't get it to run on 99% of computers that meet the system requirements, they should stick to console games.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I will probably pick up Jade Empire anyway. If that doesn't work, I am never buying Mass Effecct 2.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:18 PM   #9
Starfire13

Uh. The 59Hz problem is an issue with Windows 7. It's not Bioware's fault. Go complain to Microsoft.
Starfire13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:38 PM   #10
Alastayr

Boo hiss boo! Wah wah wah. It's always the same.
Look, not only is the game 5+ years old, Laptops, due to their sometimes let's just call it "unique" implementation of GPUs and associated components incl. drivers are not in the least fit for gaming. There's no guarantee to run any game on them. None. Not even on those so called "gaming monsters" that perform akin to 300€ PCs.

I can understand your frustration but when so many people can run the game, maybe you're the 1% in your estimation.
And before I'm accused of being harsh, KotOR, Max Payne, Republic Commando, the Jedi Knights and lots of other older games don't run on my PC (bug-free) anymore. So I know where you're coming from.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:11 PM   #11
bigbossnlo

Get an Xbox 360. Buy Kotor, Jade Empire, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Mass Effect 2 when it comes out and quit ing. Bioware doesn't care about you.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:42 PM   #12
cornontheCoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossnlo View Post
Get an Xbox 360. Buy Kotor, Jade Empire, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Mass Effect 2 when it comes out and quit ing. Bioware doesn't care about you.
Oh really? I guess they won't care when I don't buy their games anymore then. The customer is always right, they should care about their customers. And I do have an Xbox 360. I hear all these things about the PC versions being "superior" to the console versions, so I thought I would try the PC version.

PC gaming: Superior to console gaming in every way!
Old 12-29-2009, 08:51 PM   #13
bigbossnlo

PC gaming is superior if you can get it to work. If you have problems that you can't solve then play it on a console. Old games have problems that need workarounds on modern operating systems.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:52 PM   #14
Default137

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornontheCoD View Post
Sorry for the confusion, I am not saying that my system specs aren't up to snuff. I have 2 gigs of ram and a Geforce 8600. Just for an example, I can run TF2 on high settings, etc.

I am saying that I cannot launch the game. It gives me an error when I launch it. I looked on the forums for both games, and many other people (only the ones with laptops) were having the same problems.

The problem with Kotor is supposedly that most laptop monitors run at 59 Hz while normal monitors run at 60.

Everyone I have told about these problems is stunned, saying that it is impossible that just because it is a laptop, it doesn't work. But that is the truth.

I have a HP pavilion dv9000.

And like it or not, this is Bioware's fault. They should at least tell me that it won't run on (most) laptops.
I had an HP Pavillion dv5t and it worked fine, its just the dv9000 is full of hardware problems, and I wouldn't be surprised if it ran much slower then many other laptops.
Default137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:11 AM   #15
Imp_ulse

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornontheCoD View Post
Alright, there is a refresh rate option on my laptop, but the only choice is 59 hz

Anyways, I still think that if their game doesn't work on my computer, it is still their fault. If they can't get it to run on 99% of computers that meet the system requirements, they should stick to console games.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I will probably pick up Jade Empire anyway. If that doesn't work, I am never buying Mass Effecct 2.
My laptop is older than dirt, it runs kotor fine.

Claiming it wont run on laptops is BS, it just wont run on YOUR laptop, and btw, how do you know what percentage of computers the game wont run on, did you take a survey of everyone that bought it?

Narcissistic much?
Imp_ulse is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Jade Empire: Special Edition