Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Torchlight series

Old 12-29-2009, 07:06 PM   #1
Xenro

Banned
Do not download Torchleech

I had some mods already before and the game was perfectly fine. I downloaded Torchleech to make things easier and got some mods from it. However, the game didn't start up (stuck on loading screen), so I uninstalled those new mods I got from Torchleech and the game is still broken. Also, according to Torchleech, I have some mod conflicts, which is pretty bs because I never had mod conflicts before. This FAIL app actually creates mod conflicts so don't use it. That's my rant.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:08 PM   #2
Hobo Joe

Works fine for me.
Hobo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:13 PM   #3
CynicalNinja

Nothing like that ever happened for me, and I came across Torchleech in about the same way.
CynicalNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:14 PM   #4
Euphytose

I don't see why I would use such an application for something I can do myself anyway.
Euphytose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:22 PM   #5
CynicalNinja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphytose View Post
I don't see why I would use such an application for something I can do myself anyway.
Why do it the hard way when you can click a button to auto-download and install?

Not to mention the conflict checker, keybind editor, advanced settings, auto-updater...nah, I don't see how that could be useful.
CynicalNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:22 PM   #6
Xenro

Banned
So I took off all the mods from the mods folder and the game still doesn't work. Looks like I'm gonna have to reinstall the game. Anyone know how to save characters? I really don't feel like starting all over.
Xenro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:25 PM   #7
Hammerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenro View Post
I had some mods already before...
That is probably the problem.

Backup your saves, uninstall, reinstall. If the saves crash then reinstall each of the mods One by one through Torchleech. If that doesnt worrk try 2 by 2.

It should only give you problems if you have a mod item in your inventory...
Hammerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:27 PM   #8
Euphytose

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalNinja View Post
Why do it the hard way when you can click a button to auto-download and install?

Not to mention the conflict checker, keybind editor, advanced settings, auto-updater...nah, I don't see how that could be useful.
I always trust myself better than any program. If it has to take 10 minutes to do what that could have been done in 1, it will take the time, at least there will be no bug at all.

Quote:
So I took off all the mods from the mods folder and the game still doesn't work. Looks like I'm gonna have to reinstall the game. Anyone know how to save characters? I really don't feel like starting all over.
Characters are saved on Steam servers, however if your char has an item which has been created by a mod, the game will crash when you play with this one.

Just completely uninstall the game, launch it one time, if it crashes, find a hexa editor, find the item placed in your character file, and delete it " with your hand ", from Windows I mean.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:29 PM   #9
Xenro

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerfan View Post
That is probably the problem.

Backup your saves, uninstall, reinstall. If the saves crash then reinstall each of the mods One by one through Torchleech. If that doesnt worrk try 2 by 2.

It should only give you problems if you have a mod item in your inventory...
I thought I made it clear already that the game was running perfectly fine with the mods before I even used Torchleech. And no, I don't have mod items in my inventory.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:43 PM   #10
d10sfan

Quote:
I thought I made it clear already that the game was running perfectly fine with the mods before I even used Torchleech. And no, I don't have mod items in my inventory.
So because you have a problem means everyone else will? I have been using TorchLeech for a while now and have no problems with it at all. Just click and go. If you have problems, then its an isolated case, not everyone has issues with it.

Saying dont download this, dont buy this because you cant use it is stupid especially if the majority can.
d10sfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:44 PM   #11
d10sfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphytose View Post
Makes it much simpler, handles conflicts for you, and checks for updates for you.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:00 PM   #12
Euphytose

Quote:
Originally Posted by d10sfan View Post
Makes it much simpler, handles conflicts for you, and checks for updates for you.
It appears that it actually creates conflicts while they weren't there before.

Even if the problem isn't there for everyone, I won't risk it. The problem exists, maybe in isolated cases, but still.

Also, the update checker is only made by the creator of the program, it's not supported by the authors of mods themselves, so it could be even faster to check by yourself on the official topic rather than waiting for an update that could never come before hours, even days if they're busy.

Last edited by Euphytose: 12-29-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:01 PM   #13
Sensai

Torchleech does not create complications, people uninstalling mods and then reinstalling them again in Torchleech do. The way that the GUIDs work is just silly...and it's pretty aggravating.

Yes, the update checker is made by the creator of the program...and of course it's going to be faster to check the mod manually, but the update checker is checked against a database; you don't have to wait for Torchleech itself to update just to update one mod. That'd be totally useless.

Torchleech, for me, has been nothing but golden. I highly recommend it.
Sensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:35 PM   #14
d10sfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensai View Post
Torchleech does not create complications, people uninstalling mods and then reinstalling them again in Torchleech do. The way that the GUIDs work is just silly...and it's pretty aggravating.

Yes, the update checker is made by the creator of the program...and of course it's going to be faster to check the mod manually, but the update checker is checked against a database; you don't have to wait for Torchleech itself to update just to update one mod. That'd be totally useless.

Torchleech, for me, has been nothing but golden. I highly recommend it.
I agree, Ive used it ever since I got torchlight and it works perfectly for me. Yes, the GUID nonsense is annoying. I end up only installing mods that dont give me the guid errors and I havent run into anything bad yet.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:01 AM   #15
Xenro

Banned
Reinstalled the game and it still doesn't work. This time I'm going to uninstall the saved game data too. Looks like I'm going to start all over =[. Now I have to redownload the game from Steam again. Eff me for being lazy, installing mods manually didn't even take long.

Edit: The game starts up now, however, my main character doesn't load up but the others do. The game just crashes. This is definitely a mod issue caused by Torchleech. I really don't know what to do right now.

Last edited by Xenro: 12-30-2009 at 02:59 AM.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Torchlight series