Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 01-01-2010, 04:54 PM   #286
Darktooth77

Tell me, if I have McAfee installed, and I just installed avast without uninstalling McAfee, will this still work with McAfee still installed? Or will it interfere?

Reply ASAP.
Darktooth77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:02 PM   #287
mywar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darktooth77 View Post
Tell me, if I have McAfee installed, and I just installed avast without uninstalling McAfee, will this still work with McAfee still installed? Or will it interfere?

Reply ASAP.
Don't run 2 AV solutions at the same time. And if you really want to keep both programs, well you'd have to add it in both.
mywar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:03 PM   #288
ChrisCTX

Yeah 2 Anti-virus programs is overkill and will only drag down the performance of your PC.

Stick with any one and do the procedure for it.

If you insist on keeping both then go ahead and do the procedure on each one.
ChrisCTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:06 PM   #289
Darktooth77

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCTX View Post
Yeah 2 Anti-virus programs is overkill and will only drag down the performance of your PC.

Stick with any one and do the procedure for it.

If you insist on keeping both then go ahead and do the procedure on each one.
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Well then, I better just buy a new PC, because my McAfee subscription ends in 2012.
Darktooth77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:12 PM   #290
Nintendawg

Hey, anybody know how to go about doing this in NOD32?
Nintendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:13 PM   #291
Coupon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendawg View Post
Hey, anybody know how to go about doing this in NOD32?
Take a look at the bottom of the first post.

There's a list of links that'll take you to some AV programs and the steps you need to take to make an exception for the folder.
Coupon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:14 PM   #292
Nintendawg

^Oh, I accidentally skipped over nod32 in that post. Thanks.
Nintendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:34 PM   #293
Blan21

omg, +30 fps i love you man! i used to get around 30 fps at one spacific point, now i get 60 :O

+rep
Blan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:46 PM   #294
Medic ted

Banned
What do I do, if I don't have an anti-virus program ?

This is indeed the case with me.Although I have Spybot and Windows Defender, but I think they don't actively scan the computer.
Medic ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:49 PM   #295
Jigsaw27

I don't use anything but Malwarebytes. Am i screwed? Because i tried so many things like updating my network drivers. and nothing works . Please anybody. The game ran absolutely perfect a few months ago... I never dropped below 40 or so fps. Now i see 3 enemies on screen i can't get above 25.

Last edited by Jigsaw27: 01-01-2010 at 05:54 PM.
Jigsaw27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 06:34 PM   #296
supamark23

I just disable the AV (symmantic) when I play.

also, update your Realtek NIC driver (if you have Realtek). per another thread this helps a lot.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1050870
supamark23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 06:47 PM   #297
Shamwow Pete

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codex0 View Post
Try adding an exception in windows defender on top of your anti virus software
It's turned off
Shamwow Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 06:49 PM   #298
townparkradio

Banned
As I know you don't need max paranoia active virus scanning unless you have sensitive data on it where a few hours can make a difference... and if you're on a computer with that you shouldn't be playing games anyway... this is never an issue for me.

For more years then I can remember, I've never used active scanning. You simply do not need it. Set up a virus scan to run at night while you're sleeping. When you wake up in the morning, if you got a virus, you can read about how the computer removed it while you have your coffee. Just as effective as maximum paranoia active scanning, and I don't have to deal with performance loss due to unnecessary over protection.

You don't need to hire a private security force to patrol your house at night, and you don't need active scans and firewalls.

While you're at it, turn off restore points, too. Learn how to do basic maintenance and you will NEVER use it.
townparkradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 06:58 PM   #299
ChrisCTX

While you speak some true (townparkradio) do not assume everybody is in the same situation as you; I for example share a printer and lots of files on this computer (nothing critical but it would suck to lose it) with the rest of other computers in my location, also, sometimes, when other people get lazy and don't want to turn on their PC they will quickly ALT+TAB my PC (when I'm getting a drink or something) check something real fast and return my program (like TF2) into focus.
ChrisCTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:34 PM   #300
townparkradio

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCTX View Post
While you speak some true (townparkradio) do not assume everybody is in the same situation as you; I for example share a printer and lots of files on this computer (nothing critical but it would suck to lose it) with the rest of other computers in my location, also, sometimes, when other people get lazy and don't want to turn on their PC they will quickly ALT+TAB my PC (when I'm getting a drink or something) check something real fast and return my program (like TF2) into focus.
You don't need it either. The only people who need it are people who have data that can be stolen and used for corporate espionage. No virus is ever going to shut your computer down catastrophically unless it has sat 4 or 5 days downloading other trojans because you didn't run your AV scanner nightly. Viruses don't behave that way because if they made themselves immediately obvious, you'd just go to the task manager and end the rogue process.

You are as likely to get a virus that will wipe your hard drive instantly as you are to have crazy methheads in body armor kick down your door to kill you specifically so they can have uninterrupted sex with your goldfish. You're trading memory and CPU time preparing for something that isn't going to happen.

You don't need armed security patrols. You don't need extended warranties. You're never going to see that mail-in rebate. The only diet that actually works long-term is to get more active. Rent to own is NEVER worth it. The policeman is not your friend until he knows for sure you're not lying to him. Conversely, the police are ALSO not out to get you. Strangers offering free candy have ulterior motives. No civilian needs an assault rifle. Freedom of Speech has very specific limits. Washing out with coca-cola won't prevent pregnancy, and you don't need active virus scanning.
townparkradio is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2