Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Painkiller series

Old 01-02-2010, 06:37 PM   #1
djZM

Unhappy anyone actually ever play any version of Painkiller in MP?

Just curious. I hopped on a server earlier today and I kept getting staked by someone. However, I couldn't see where they were. Come to find out, they were completely invisible. Is this a glitch, or are there power-ups in this game?

Also, I was playing through Resurrection.. I wasn't sure if I hit a server specifically for that game, or if I managed to get into an original Painkiller server. First time playing it online..
Old 01-04-2010, 09:57 AM   #2
game_over

I play the gold version of Painkiller which is 1.64

The MP is actually pretty fun and fast-paced.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:30 PM   #3
djZM

Any idea about the invisibility though? Does the game have a 100% invisible powerup? Whoever was killing me was being a prick about it, too. I wondered if it was a hack, or a bug in the game.
djZM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:37 PM   #4
WhiteCarnation

Painkiller used to be fairly popular online, but then everyone abandoned it once the competitive fests stopped hosting it.

Really lame.
WhiteCarnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:48 PM   #5
Bramstein

I don't think there's an invisibility power-up. From what I remember, though, bunny-hopping causes graphical glitches unless you're running the mod PK++.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:53 PM   #6
ghostme

I've been playing some 1.64 online but i much prefer playing the PK++ mod. The movements a bit nicer and theres some little additions which just make it better.

pkeuro.net/files/pk/PK++%201.2.1.64%20Installer.exe

A guy just offered to host me a PK++ server free for a couple of weeks (UK). Ill post the IP here when its up, see if we can't resurrect this game because its awesome online.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:22 PM   #7
Lord Gremlin

What I really hate about online nowadays, is that if server uses PK++, 99% it uses ugly brightskins, same character model for all players and no powerups. That sucks. You have to make a server yourself or arrange an online party with a friend to play with normal, different models (my favorites are beast and commando) and normal skins. I'm not sure if PK++ is responsible for ing up online or it's just most people use atrocious settings...
Can somebody tell me what's the deal with ugly red-skin same-model servers?
Lord Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:35 PM   #8
Lord Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramstein View Post
I don't think there's an invisibility power-up. From what I remember, though, bunny-hopping causes graphical glitches unless you're running the mod PK++.
There are only 3 power-ups in painkiller:
1)Weapon modifier - 2-horned skull, glowing yellow, player's weapon glow if he have it. Enhances weapon performance - stakes are always burning and fly straight, grenades set things on fire, shurikens explode like bombs, rockets fly very fast etc. HUD perimeter has red coloring.
2)Quad - ugly, horned skull with blue flame traveling around it's horns - player's head covered in blue flame and glowing blue if he has this power-up, his HUD is transformed as if he's in Demon mode. This power-up quadruples damage dealt. Essentially it's a balancing thing against gold armor, so it's usually present on maps that have gold armor and megahealth.
3)Invulnerability - twitching cracked skull, glowing red, makes player invincible for a very short time. Player who has it glowing red himself and when attacked produces specific noise. It's always very hard to reach, personally I've never found it on Sacred map.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:58 PM   #9
ghostme

I think the whole point in the skins was to make it easier to find your opponent against the backdrop. As far as i know the graphical glitches are non existent any more. I haven't noticed them anyway.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:58 AM   #10
Lord Gremlin

This makes these skins a kind of cheat - normally it's pretty hard to see an opponent in a dark place (until he starts firing a chaingun at you).

Well, and brightskins are also very ugly - models are basically untextured. And that's really disgusting, since MP models are pretty nice actually, although I have a feeling that Commando model is bugged: it has no glass container with red liquid around it's head, but if you have Quad you can actually see it on players using commando model! Strange, that this model wasn't fixed. Even in BooH and Overdose.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:16 PM   #11
Gloubidindon

Played the pk++ mod, but the real pk only for duels.
Gloubidindon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:32 PM   #12
Lord Gremlin

I don't think real PK is for duels only. Take The Light Bearer mode - you need at least 8-10 people on map to play it properly.
Also TDM and CTF... Well, actually they're ok even 2vs2.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:54 PM   #13
Gloubidindon

Didn't say that, but when I played pk in multi, you had no chance to find a server that was not running pk++ mod, so I used only the basic pk version to duel friends who had that as well.
Gloubidindon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:54 AM   #14
Redboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by djZM View Post
Just curious. I hopped on a server earlier today and I kept getting staked by someone. However, I couldn't see where they were. Come to find out, they were completely invisible. Is this a glitch, or are there power-ups in this game?

Also, I was playing through Resurrection.. I wasn't sure if I hit a server specifically for that game, or if I managed to get into an original Painkiller server. First time playing it online..
Yeah it was fairly popular in early days. Since some stupid server use bright redskins I stopped play from that day...
Redboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:14 AM   #15
Lord Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboy View Post
Yeah it was fairly popular in early days. Since some stupid server use bright redskins I stopped play from that day...
Agreed. Well, you can always create your own server and play with friends. My steam iD is Lord Gremlin.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Painkiller series