Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Mirror's Edge

Old 01-02-2010, 07:11 PM   #1
Mihslayer

Possible fixes to get Mirror's Edge working.

After finally getting my game to work I decided to take all the fixes I can remember and compile them in a easy to find place. Or at least have the large spread of answers all in one place. These are mostly other's work, though I'm going to add a quick version of my own. You won't know for sure what your problem is so I recommend trying all of these solutions until your game works.

~~~~~Go to : \Documents\EA Games\Mirror's Edge\TdGame\Config open the file called TdEngine and find this line, by pressing ctrl + f9 called : "ResX" change the value after the "=" to your screen resolution (ResX X ResY)
Example : you have a screen at 1920X1080, it has to be like that then :
ResX=1920
ResY=1080~~~~~~

*MY VERSION* Don't forget to save the file after editing, and for safety purposes, right click the file, copy and paste, and paste an extra before you do any editing somewhere you can find it later. You never know if something you do will end up corrupting the game further, and having a backup to replace the original with is always smart.
In other terms, go to your EA folder in "My documents" Open Mirror's Edge, tdgame, and then the config folder. From there double click the TdEngine to open it (I'm not sure what problems you may run accross so just in case it opens wrong, Right click, open with, and notepad to get where we are.) Click and hold ctrl then, while holding, press f. You should have a "find" box up. Type in Resx and click next, it should bring you to the ResX with ResY right under it. Change the values to your resolution. You can go here -http://whatismyscreenresolution.com/- if you need your resolution. X is the first number, Y is the second.

~~~~~Such a fixer you Mirror's Edge try going to My Documents\EA Games\Mirror's Edge\tdgame\Config\ and open the tdengine.ini. In this file, change MaxMultisamples from 2 to 1. Close and save the file and then try starting your game. You'll probably want to do a search for MaxMultisamples as it's more than halfway down the text.~~~~~~

*MY VERSION* Don't forget to save the file after editing, and for safety purposes, right click the file, copy and paste, and paste an extra before you do any editing somewhere you can find it later. You never know if something you do will end up corrupting the game further, and having a backup to replace the original with is always smart.
This is a weird fix for sure...but it looks like it has helped a few people. Go to the above mentioned folder (My last MY VERSION) and open TdEngine as pre-mentioned. Open the find box as pre-mentioned. Find "Maxmultisamples" and change it from whatever number it may be to 1. If it is a 1 already, I'd guess that isn't the problem.

~~~~If you find TdEngine.ini use Ctrl+F and look for bUseSound=True change it to false for now until EA/DICE come up with a patch for certain sound drivers."~~~~

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND NOT TRYING THIS FIX. It may work, but Skip to the next HIGHLY RECOMMEND and just after it is a paragraph with a better fix.
*MY VERSION*Don't forget to save the file after editing, and for safety purposes, right click the file, copy and paste, and paste an extra before you do any editing somewhere you can find it later. You never know if something you do will end up corrupting the game further, and having a backup to replace the original with is always smart.
Go to the above mentioned file (wow third fix dealing with this file, anyone see a pattern?) use find (yet again...it makes things quick.) and look for "bUseSound" and change it to =False.
****IMPORTANT!**** This is a possible fix, it IS what fixed my game originally. However if it does work, I found a better fix to use. If it doesn't, then when your game does get to working it won't have sound. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND NOT TRYING THIS FIX.

This thread- "http://forums.gametrailers.com/thread/mirror-s-edge-no-sound-fix/719772" has the sound problem all wrapped up. Click the link in the first box, I've downloaded the file, and it seems safe. No scans show anything and it fixed my game so no prejudice against it here heheh. Go to "My computer- whatever drive you use, probably C- program files- steam- steamapps-common-mirror's edge- binaries" and then, once again make copies of "openal32.dll and wrap_oal.dll" and put them somewhere convenient. Take the files off the rar you downloaded and put them in place of the original openal32.dll and wrap_oal.dll in the binaries folder.

If none of those work, there's some more routine things you can try here "http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788621". Hope this helps people out.

Oh yes, if you have any questions, I'll be jumping back here probably once a day for a while. I'll do my best to help.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:28 AM   #2
nekokirin

First time making a steam forum post, but I had to tell you somehow. Thank you so damn much! Seriously! The multisamples change fixed my problem. I had gone through what I thought was absolutely everything and had given up on playing it on my PC. I decided to check on the fixes again and am so happy I did. Thanks again.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:47 AM   #3
JamsMcGee

You missed the Data Execution Prevention fix, which seems to help XP64bit. At least it helped me and I have xp64.
Here's the rundown:

1. Click Start
2. Select Control Panel
3. Select System
4. Click the Advanced tab
5. In the Performance region select Settings
6. Click the Data Execute tab in the dialog box that opens
7. Select Turn on DEP for all programs and services except for those I select
8. Click Add.
9. The open dialog box will open. Browse and select your application.
10. Click Open
11. Click Apply
12. Click Ok
13. Reboot

Found at:
http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/566/x...n-feature-dep/

Oh, and the MaxMultiSamples=1 fix seems to work specifically for GeForce 7950 cards, or possibly cards that don't support the PhysX software. At least most of the posts for whom this worked had 7950 cards.

Thanks for your help, and shouldn't a list like this be stickied or something? I mean, there are enough people having trouble getting the game to run you'd think there would be a troubleshooting faq right at the top.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:55 PM   #4
kalrhael

Much thanks, the "MaxMultisamples from 2 to 1" trick fixed my problem right up (yep I do have a 7950 card). Thanks again.
kalrhael is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Mirror's Edge