Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Morrowind, The Elder Scrolls III

Old 01-03-2010, 02:19 AM   #1
Ansive

Does MGE 3.80 or 3.8 SVN rev 0118 work with Steam Morrowind?

I don't want to use a different Morrowind.exe
Old 01-03-2010, 02:58 AM   #2
Revenile

Well to answer your question, I don't know, I didn't try just steam's version since others have said it doesn't work. there is a thread here that has "MGE workaround" as the title, I can verify that it works with 3.80 using the method listed in there. Though it does require a different exe. However you can use the Morrowind Mod Manager to successfully launch morrowind with the MGE using the altered exe and using the data from the steam install just fine.
Revenile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:28 AM   #3
Void(null)

Short answer, yes.

Long Answer: Click Here
Void(null) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:05 AM   #4
Kailieann

Quote:
Q: When I try to run MGEgui a message comes up saying "MGEgui has stopped working." What's up?
A: MGE needs full administrator rights when running and full rights to the Morrowind installation directory structure. On Vista / Windows 7, it's also advisable to run MGEgui.exe in XP compatibility mode.

Q: MGEgui crashes when I run it, and my DirectX and .NET are up-to-date. Fix?
A: Try running the Morrowind launcher, opening the "Options" dialogue, selecting a different resolution, and clicking "Ok." If it still doesn't work, disable MGE (remove "d3d8.dll" and "dinput8.dll" from your Morrowind folder), then run Morrowind. Let it start and load, then exit out of the game. Move the MGE files back into your Morrowind directory, and try again. The issue is with registry and INI (configuration) settings that are not created until Morrowind is run the first time (for that install), but MGEgui still tries to read the missing entries and crashes on failure (Note: a fix has been implemented with the newest beta version to popup an error and shut down MGEgui gracefully, instead of crashing).

Q: I have the Steam version of Morrowind, how do I get MGE to work with it?
A: Disable Steam community in-game: go to your Steam settings window and choose the "In-game" tab, then unckeck the "Steam Community In-Game" box. You should also redate morrowind.bsa, tribunal.bsa, and bloodmoon.bsa to year 2002. In the location where you installed Steam, look for "...Steam\SteamApps\common\morrowind" folder - Morrowind's bsa's will be located under the "Data Files" folder. You'll need a 3rd party utility to redate the files (Ninotech Date Edit v4 works well for this).
None of these actually work.

And given that the version of MGE hosted on TESNexus works just fine without doing any of those, well..
Kailieann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:14 AM   #5
Void(null)

Worked just fine for me.

Perhaps you're doing it wrong?
Old 01-03-2010, 10:22 AM   #6
Ansive

It works! (windows 7, UAC off)

I bought Morrowind for 5 euro a few hours before the deal was over.
Both MPC and MGE with distant land work.

All I had to do is disable the steam overlay, and change the date of a few files.

Instructions I used
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetchy
Alright, time to lay the rumors and conjecture to rest.

The Steam version of MW is recognized by MCP and fully patchable by that tool - MCP v1.6 or better is recommended tho.

MGE works fine with the Steam version of MW after making two simple adjustments:
* steam's 'Enable Steam Community In-Game' setting must be disabled in order for MGE to run in-game.
* the bsa files need to be redated in order to properly use distantland (this needs to be done even without MGE in order to get bookart/icon/mesh/texture replacers to work).

MWSE works fine with the Steam version - either MGE's built-in version or a stand alone version.

FPS Optimizer works fine along with the Steam version, even while running with MGE and/or MWSE.

The Steam version will always start up Steam and take the user thru the Morrowind Launcher first regardless of running directly from Morrowind.exe or running MW from the Steam menu - as long as the Steam version is installed properly, 3rd party apps will still work correctly despite this.

Adding plugins is accomplished by installing them to the '...\SteamApps\common\morrowind' folder (subfolder structure below that is the same as non-digital MW installs). That's also where you'll find the exe and ini.

And thanks showler for giving the heads-up about Steam offering MW GOTY for $4.99! That was the price point I was waiting for, and afforded my ability to confirm this first-hand.
http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/in...ost&p=15491605

What could you complain about steam Morrowind? No Construction Set, and no retail keys.
Ansive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:40 AM   #7
Void(null)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansive View Post

What could you complain about steam Morrowind? No Construction Set, and no retail keys.
True that, but for $5? Was a great deal.

I'm wondering if I could take the TES:CS off my CD version and upload it for you guys. Problem is I have no idea where the disk even is anymore.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:57 AM   #8
Ansive

I don't think we're allowed to do that.
Anyway I have the Construction Set disk... p2p
Old 01-03-2010, 11:15 AM   #9
Void(null)

Oblivion's TES:CS is free to download from Bethesda's website, I don't see why hosting the Morrowind's TES:CS would be that big a deal.

I'm going to poke Pete Hines on Facebook, see if we (Us poor digital distribution customers) can't get the TES:CS Officially hosted for Morrowind.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:44 AM   #10
lordxax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Void(null) View Post
Short answer, yes.

Long Answer: Click Here
None of the above worked for me. Win7x64 with Visual C++ 2008 redistributable (latest version), DirectX11, and .Net 3.0 (2.0 doesn't work on 7x64), UAC off.

MGEgui stops working, nothing more.

Last edited by lordxax: 01-03-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:59 AM   #11
Ansive

Did you try mge3.8-SVN_rev-0118 ?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/morr...18.7z/download

Even without disabling the steam overlay and changing the file creation date the game would start and AA and AF would work.

Also make sure to run Morrowind once before adding MGE in the mix.

I don't remember if installing directx 9 was a requirement on Vista and 7 as well.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:24 PM   #12
lordxax

Yes i just tried.
I did a fresh steam install of the game and only put MGE files in the morrowind directory (overwriting and all). Still won't launch. I read that i don't need to uninstall dx11 and get dx9 instead, and i agree with that, i don't think dx has anything to do with just an MGE launch.
So, still don't work on Win7x64 + Dx11 + .Net 3.5 (i changed from 3.0), VC++ 2008 redist, and UAC off.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:34 PM   #13
Ansive

I'm also running 7 64bit. You cannot uninstall dx11. But you can install the dx9 libraries.

Have you installed this?
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...ibutable.shtml
Old 01-03-2010, 03:04 PM   #14
Ciaos

I can't seem to use the Ninotech Date Edit v4 to edit the date of the bsa files. Everytime I try and install it from the INF I get error saying 'A referral was returned from the server'. Any ideas?
Ciaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #15
lordxax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansive View Post
I'm also running 7 64bit. You cannot uninstall dx11. But you can install the dx9 libraries.

Have you installed this?
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...ibutable.shtml
Waww... That was it ! Installing this made the MGEgui run !
Thumbs up !
Many, many thanks !
Now it's time to test all that stuff !

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Morrowind, The Elder Scrolls III