Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Osmos

Old 01-04-2010, 04:08 PM   #1
jnfenrir

Lightbulb Osmos badly needs a difficulty rebalance.

I've sunk about 7 hours into Osmos so far, and I'm sorry to say this, but the game is just far too difficult in some places. Just look at the Steam Achievements page and you'll see what I mean. As of this writing, only 1.8% of all players have beat the Force zones. I personally am currently stuck on the Epicycles levels (like many others, I see), but all the Force zones up to this point, and a few of the final Ambient zones are needlessly aggravating as well.

Osmos's difficulty wouldn't be a problem if it was being marketed as a fiendishly challenging puzzle game, but since the main selling point is its supposed serene and relaxing nature, not being able to enjoy it completely because of the punishing difficulty feels a bit like a slap to the face (albeit unintentional). And this is especially frustrating because Osmos is overall an absolutely brilliant game that just begs to be played from beginning to end and again and again.

I do like the game a lot, or I'm trying to anyway. I guess I'm sort of mooing along with the crowd here, but I just thought I'd share my two cents in case another perspective is of interest to anyone. That's all.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:35 PM   #2
DrDimas

I truly agree that it's relaxing only in the first few levels. And pretty much all the rest of the levels were a mix of frustration/randomize/swearing.

Edit: But I do not agree that difficulty must be adjusted Take any game, 100% achievements should not come easy.

Last edited by DrDimas: 01-04-2010 at 06:00 PM.
DrDimas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:43 AM   #3
Ars-Rampancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDimas View Post
Take any game, 100% achievements should not come easy.
You're comparing apples to oranges.

40.6% of people have beaten Left 4 Dead 2's Dead Center campaign.

45.0% of people have beaten Left 4 Dead 1's No Mercy campaign.

64% of people have beaten Defense Grid: The Awakening's mission which grants the I Spy achievement.

60% of people have beaten the Half Life Ep 2's mission which grants the Gunishment achievement.

What are these achievements? They are not 100% achievements.

They are completion achievements.

Let's compare these stats for Osmos's completion achievements:

20% for Sentient.
11% for Ambient.
1.8% for Force.
Ars-Rampancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:22 AM   #4
jnfenrir

You know what? I would say that at least half the levels in the game are too hard to be any fun. Most of the Attractor levels are too hard to control to be able to develop a strategy, everything in the Fittest zones is faster than you, and I even had to randomize a few of the later Sentient zones because I started out in an impossible position. I don't even want to think about the nightmare that must await in the Forever zones.

The game started out really good and relaxing with just enough challenge to still make it fun, but honestly, after the headache I've gone through, I'm actually pretty mad. This isn't at all what I paid for. It's really, really crappy to pitch a game as being relaxing and "casual" when it's this friggin' hard. Honestly, if I'd have known it was going to be this difficult, I wouldn't have bought it.

I guess it's a little late for "would have" though. You win some, you lose some, as they say. So I guess just let this message stand as a warning to anyone else thinking about buying it:

The game truly is great, but it is NOT CASUAL OR RELAXING. So just be aware of what you're getting yourself into.
jnfenrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:55 AM   #5
silenteye750

I heard from the developer that difficulty tweaks are already available for the version bought directly (i.e. from the website). Apparently the STEAM edition should get the updates (there is more than just difficulty tweaks) this week or something. Hold out!

I do agree that some of the levels are too hard. I only have two left before I finish the game, both are in the Force levels. And some of the order ones I only beat out of pure luck.
silenteye750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:12 AM   #6
Butch_N

LOL, and here I thought I was just too old and slow for this.
Nice to hear I'm not alone.
I do very much enjoy this game, even if it gets to a point where I feel I will never be able to finish it.
Maybe the next update will help us out of this never ending failure mode I (we) seem to be in.
Butch_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:29 PM   #7
DrDimas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ars-Rampancy View Post
You're comparing apples to oranges.
If you say so, but regardless my point was that in my opinion difficulty should not be adjusted, no need to prove my opinion as right or wrong because it was neither.

And look likes like the recent update did adjust it, so yay for you.
DrDimas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:47 PM   #8
NAG3LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ars-Rampancy View Post

20% for Sentient.
11% for Ambient.
1.8% for Force.
Funny, for me Sentinent levels were hardest ones. Ambient have some nice touches, where you need to understand game physics, while on Force, original F3A2 gave the most problems (but I've beaten it in an unusual way)
NAG3LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:50 PM   #9
RSHabroptilus

I like that the fixed force levels are still impossibly hard.
RSHabroptilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:10 PM   #10
NAG3LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSHabroptilus View Post
I like that the fixed force levels are still impossibly hard.
Not impossibly. The only impossible was original F3A2.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:28 PM   #11
RSHabroptilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAG3LT View Post
Not impossibly. The only impossible was original F3A2.
Opinion.

I'm done with Osmos. Done. F3A-3 is no fun.
RSHabroptilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:47 PM   #12
NAG3LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSHabroptilus View Post
Opinion.

I'm done with Osmos. Done. F3A-3 is no fun.
F3A-3 just requires simple understanding of orbital mechanics.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:17 PM   #13
pez0

Banned
When I saw the difficulty fix update, I fired up Osmos and beat the remaining levels, except F3A-3. I cried when I saw this level. I want to play the bonus levels! But Zen Attractors 3 is not possible. If you can't pass the final of PHY405 Orbital Mechanics II, then you can't beat Zen Attractors 3.
pez0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:38 PM   #14
MackP

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAG3LT View Post
F3A-3 just requires simple understanding of orbital mechanics.
And a little bit of extra brain cell usage.
MackP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:23 PM   #15
freeloader105

You know, I also bought this game expecting a relaxing stroll in the park, but it turned out to be brutally difficult. At least now I know it's not just me.
freeloader105 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Osmos