Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 01-04-2010, 08:56 PM   #1
¦AMMUT¦

Account password reset email

Hi,
I just received an email from steam support saying that someone (not me) had asked for my account password to be reset. I'm not panicking about this, as I know my account is safe enough.

But I'm wondering if I can report the IP to valve as a potential phishing threat? Valve kindly provided the IP of the person who requested the reset in the email. I traced it to canada and it appears to be a residential IP.

Anyone else had similar things happen to them?

I don't want people like that possibly hijacking other people's accounts. Any input from a valve employee would be appreciated. I will also raise it with support.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:03 PM   #2
minerva79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ¦AMMUT¦ View Post
Hi,
I just received an email from steam support saying that someone (not me) had asked for my account password to be reset. I'm not panicking about this, as I know my account is safe enough.

But I'm wondering if I can report the IP to valve as a potential phishing threat? Valve kindly provided the IP of the person who requested the reset in the email. I traced it to canada and it appears to be a residential IP.

Anyone else had similar things happen to them?

I don't want people like that possibly hijacking other people's accounts. Any input from a valve employee would be appreciated. I will also raise it with support.
First and foremost, I think it's only wise that you quickly change your own password, so that no one could log into your account.

After that, you could send Valve a ticket about the instance. This may help other users in the long run, since Valve may be able to track the IP and keep it with a watchful eye.

You could provide your tracing record in the ticket as well. But I think Valve can use that to countercheck with their own records.
minerva79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:24 PM   #3
Brandito

i received the same email today as well as a couple months ago.

i'm wondering if it's just coincidence, an error on valves part, or if someone really wants to get my account.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:46 PM   #4
Nekomancer

Lately there are a lot phising mails that look like password reset mails.
Nekomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:13 PM   #5
Brandito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekomancer View Post
Lately there are a lot phising mails that look like password reset mails.
i looked at the email and it doesn't ask me to send an email to anyone or click any links even, and it's from noreply@steampowered.com

i thought it might be a phishing email as well, but seems pretty legit. i changed my email account linked to steam after the first email and this email indeed came to the new one i set up.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:39 PM   #6
richei

is that who its really from though? chances are, that's not their real ip address, its probably a proxy or something. well that's if they know what their doing. its not to difficult to get your email, all they need to do is try and send you an email or something from your steam id page.
richei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:27 AM   #7
The_Thing

If you see an email regarding to reset your password, look for "Dear user."

That indicates a phishing email.
The_Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:34 AM   #8
PwerLvlAmy

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandito View Post
i looked at the email and it doesn't ask me to send an email to anyone or click any links even, and it's from noreply@steampowered.com

i thought it might be a phishing email as well, but seems pretty legit. i changed my email account linked to steam after the first email and this email indeed came to the new one i set up.
Its not because its came from this mean its legit ... you can fake that pretty easly !
PwerLvlAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:13 AM   #9
Brandito

Quote:
Originally Posted by PwerLvlAmy View Post
Its not because its came from this mean its legit ... you can fake that pretty easly !
how are they going to get the password though? they contacted me by my steam ID, and never asked me to email or click any links.

all it had was a confirmation code to be put into the password change dialog in steam.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:18 AM   #10
PwerLvlAmy

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandito View Post
how are they going to get the password though? they contacted me by my steam ID, and never asked me to email or click any links.

all it had was a confirmation code to be put into the password change dialog in steam.
Ok probably someone have use the dont remember pass thing but dont have know there is a activation code to put in steam to activate so the hijacker fail ! HTere no risk
Old 01-11-2010, 11:08 AM   #11
DisturbedBR

Last week somo stupid guy got my email and steam password (lammer). 4 days contacting the msn support and yesterday I recover my mail account. NOW I can logg into my account STEAM from web BUT I CAN NOT logg on Steam software, I can't play, someone can HELP ME?
Old 01-11-2010, 11:25 AM   #12
PwerLvlAmy

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisturbedBR View Post
Last week somo stupid guy got my email and steam password (lammer). 4 days contacting the msn support and yesterday I recover my mail account. NOW I can logg into my account STEAM from web BUT I CAN NOT logg on Steam software, I can't play, someone can HELP ME?
You have to made your own thread ...

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips