Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Star Wars collection > Knights of the Old Republic Series

Old 01-05-2010, 06:14 PM   #1
Ekku

Are the crashes gonna be fixed?

Seriously, I need some official word on this.
I'm pretty sure that the game isn't bugged like this on every computer that it's installed.

The crashes are irritating. I did everything I could, disabled V-sync, updated to the latest version, even tried disabling shadows which is IMO idiotic since my computer can handle crysis at 60fps but can't handle KOTOR, a game from 2003 without crashing every 30 minutes.

Need some official word if this is gonna get fixed =_=
Old 01-07-2010, 07:04 PM   #2
vizruy

This thing won't even start for me. I'm not a software Giz, and I know that I only paid $2.99 for this product. However, I think that it is completely irresponsible for both Valve and Bioware to sell a product that will not work, no matter the price.
My Xbox 360 won't run the Xbox original.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:27 AM   #3
Sweetz

It's a 6 year old game. With the exception of Valve's games and MMOs how many six year old games do you know get patches?

There are at least some people that confirm the game runs without problem of with minor problems only - me included. I can't say I didn't get any crashing, but I got maybe 2 or 3 crashes over the course of 30 hours or so. There are also potentially a lot of other people running the game fine that have no reason to post about it.

So the game does work, it's NOT an inherently broken product and any assertions to that end are incorrect. What you need to ask yourself is what makes your systems different from the people that can run it....?
Sweetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:44 PM   #4
vizruy

Well, I am not pulling this game from my drawer. I bought it this year from them (now) because they were selling it, therefore I should get what I pay for or they should not sell it at all.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:33 AM   #5
RalphMalph

Some older games wont run under Vista or 7 or even XP if they are old enough, they just arent compatible.

Just like I cant bust out the Duke Nukem 3D disc and expect it to run under XP(Win95/DOS game) 13 years later....even though I can run Crysis.
RalphMalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:54 PM   #6
ryou

ive been playing the game but when i come to run it again it crashes and i have to go into properties and verify, there always seems to be a file missing.
anybody know why 1 file keeps disappearing?
ryou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:47 PM   #7
Sweetz

People on all flavors of windows, with both ATI and nVidia cards have gotten the game working correctly, sometimes with a bit of work, sometimes without. No one has identified anything specific that game is incompatible with except then Win7 59Hz bug.

You might have to mess around with the game settings, or Window's compatibility settings. Really it's just a factor of how much effort do you want to put into it. In an ideal world it woud of course work for everyone with no trouble, but it's to be expected that you need to put a little effort into getting older games ro run properly.

Sucks, but that's reality for ya.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:39 AM   #8
Belsaga

I had the same problem, it start when I install my ati hd5770...
Belsaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:31 PM   #9
Lparra235

Crashes probably wont get fixed by bioware... however...

I understand a game company not releasing any updates for a game thats 7 years old. However, since BioWare and Valve are selling this game, making a profit off of it, It's natural to assume that some of these profits will go to making updates or patches, so the game can continue running on the advancing hardware. Well, as you can see from taking a single glance at the kotor forums, they aren't doing anything.

The game is old yes, but they are still selling it and making money off of it. How hard could it really be to simply make a patch for a game that I'm sure is 100 times less difficult to work on than their current projects. probably not very difficult, if you're still selling a game, then it needs some minor patches and bug fixes released on occasion. I feel sorry for the people who buy this game now, assuming it should work because its being released now. Then, when they discover its buggy, they go to the forums seeking help, only to get the answer, "what did you expect? its like 7 years old!". When you have a game community telling that to people (basically because the company follows that mentality), its time to either release a patch, or stop selling the game.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:25 PM   #10
Sweetz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lparra235 View Post
How hard could it really be to simply make a patch for a game that I'm sure is 100 times less difficult to work on than their current projects. probably not very difficult
You assume things you are not qualified to assume. Getting a development team and a QA team, even small ones, back up to speed on a mothballed code base it time consuming and therefore costly, and would very likely make the game no longer viable to sell at $10. At a higher price point, too few people may buy to make sales viable in general.

Quote:
When you have a game community telling that to people (basically because the company follows that mentality), its time to either release a patch, or stop selling the game.
As already stated, people on wide ranges of hardware have been able to run the game fine. There are people with ATI and nVidia GPUS, Intel and AMD processors, and pretty much every modern flavor of Windows that have run the game ok. That leaves the only thing separating systems that can and can't run the game to be other software installed, including drivers, and various configuration settings. Should a patch be required for something that a user could reasonably correct himself - especially in light of the above, that it would potentially change the price of the game?

As far as the declaration that they stop selling the game if not patch, that's a self-centerted viewpoint. Should all the people who are able to play the game ok have been prevented from buying it because it doesn't work for you, or a minority of the playerbase? I assure you there are some people that got to enjoy KOTOR for the first time because of it's release on Steam that would very strongly disagree with you.

This discussion has been repeated ad nauseum with every old game released on Steam. Some people always gets super self-righteous because they have trouble with an old game and they assume their experience is representative of everyone in the world - and if the game doesn't work for them, no one should be able to buy it. Sorry, but that's not the case. We're lucky to have this game available at all. Would it be nice for it to be made a bit more compatible with modern systems - heck yeah, no argument there. However, barring that possibility that the game could still be maintained due to any number of reasons, I'd rather have it in a state where it at least can be made to work than not being able to experience it at all.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:29 PM   #11
chromeball

Lightbulb Not sure about this but...

You should have standard consumer protection still. Meaning, if the game doesn't work for you then you bought a faulty product and are entitled to a refund. Complain to Steam, get a refund, move on to a game that works on your system. btw the game works fine on my Windows XP, 7900GTX rig and my only complaint is I can't push the res to 1920x1080.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Star Wars collection > Knights of the Old Republic Series