Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Resident Evil series > Resident Evil 5

Old 01-07-2010, 12:32 AM   #1
chowdig

Are the rest of the Resident Evil games coming to Steam?

I would really like to see RE2.

???

Old 01-07-2010, 12:35 AM   #2
chowdig

Oh and was Code Veronica ever released for PC?
Old 01-07-2010, 04:18 PM   #3
alhudson

Banned
Impossible I played three times Resident Evil 4 for PC (I own original US retail copy) quite frankly is UNPLAYABLE without using mods.

1º Do you want use your keyboard? forget it doesn't support it
2º Do you want use your gamepad? good luck doesn't support a lot of them
3º Do you want use good quality textures? you need to download the gamecube texture pack.

All of three problems above are easly solved with mods BUT using the NoCD patch.

Resident Evil 4 on Steam would be a big mistake (at least that Capcom re-made it)

So
alhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:42 PM   #4
Zebideedee

Banned
I bought RE4 (PC) from HMV for £10, trust me, don't waste you're money on the PC version, even with mods, it's surely in the top 20 worst console ports list? The Gamecube version is damn good though, just a shame they f*cked up the mouse support etc. when porting, which beggars the question wtf were they thinking?

Half the time I feel like Consoles are my older brother who's clothes I get handed down to me but theres so much wear and tear on them I'm like ewww, this old thing, seriously?

Kinda rambled a bit there. To OP, I bought FF7 & 8 recently for nostalgic reasons, they're not how you remember them, I'm pretty sure it'll be the same for the early RE games, worth a laugh for how bad they looked but at the time we were like "WooooW! thats so realistic lol

Ps. For anyone who moans "Grephix aren't everyting!" - fine, go play Manic Miner :P

Last edited by Zebideedee: 01-07-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Zebideedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:30 PM   #5
PhillB

Besides the horrible RE4 port and the excellent RE5 one, I don't think capcom ever released the others for PC (at least REmake didn't make it).
PhillB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:42 PM   #6
chowdig

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillB View Post
Besides the horrible RE4 port and the excellent RE5 one, I don't think capcom ever released the others for PC (at least REmake didn't make it).
I remember playing RE2 and 3 on PC (Dont remember RE1) and I got RE4 for PC, lol. Its not a bad game if you use Mouseaim mod (Keyboard is supported).
Old 01-08-2010, 07:58 AM   #7
kyiori

RE1, 2, 3 were all released on PC. I'm pretty sure they weren't the abomination of a port that RE4 was.
kyiori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:21 PM   #8
JackNiko

all the main resident evil games

1 2 3 4 5

where all released for the PC but all where plagued by configuration problems, or high spec requirments at the time of release but tiny by todays standards which can cause issues

people forget 1,2,3 and even 4, had pretty graphics compared to other PC games, but these are all Striaght Ports so no graphical improvment in fact the graphics being bad are far more noticable due to the attempts to IMPROVE the graphics on a pc format

and indeed they probably did, but most would not notice

the earlier ones have problems like previous people have posted but this is due to OS compatability

Resident evil on the pc, is one of those games that suffered in microsofts elimination of dos

Games Such as

Tyrian
Syndicate Wars
Resident evil

and many more cult classics, where not designed for anything other than Windows 95 or 98, in particular syndicate wars, game play in total increased with the faster the cpu, and if you can imagine it running hi res mode "yes they had two modes" would run at best on a 166mhz cpu, you can imagine the result on a 1ghz cpu

people have to understand that a port is essentially a reworking of a console game to function on a pc on available OS

and RE 1 - windows 95
RE 2 - windows 98
RE 3 - windows 98

if you want them on a PC then a NEW port has to be made, and so far if they where to do that, they may as well redo the games with modern graphics

RE4 - is an odd contender for the PC, unless you had a resonable pc, used a certain type of screen, and used a joypad, it was a unplayable game

for people who complain about mouse and keyboard not being useable, well, the game was not designed to play that way accept it, it is not a FPS

RE 5 i have not tried on the pc, after playing it for the xbox 360 and ps3, i feel i can safely say it is a horrible game, too many weapons and a plot that was not bad, but a bit rediculous in parts, and was simply not unique, or back to the good ol zombie times of the original games

so i can say nothing about the RE5 for the pc, accept i wont buy it unless its cheap, and only so my nephew can play it

Last edited by JackNiko: 01-10-2010 at 06:24 PM.
JackNiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 03:15 AM   #9
dopelfish

RE 1 and 2 are unplayable under Win XP, the save system doesn't like NTFS hard drives. RE3 works fine though. Zero, REmake and Code Veronica are playable on emulators if you have a good computer.
dopelfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:27 PM   #10
Lord Mordeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by alhudson View Post
Impossible I played three times Resident Evil 4 for PC (I own original US retail copy) quite frankly is UNPLAYABLE without using mods.
It is?

Funny, as i use no mods and the game works and plays just fine.

Quote:
1º Do you want use your keyboard? forget it doesn't support it
Last time i played the game, i had zero issues playing it on keyboard without any mods.

Quote:
2º Do you want use your gamepad? good luck doesn't support a lot of them
Supports the one i have just fine, so.. *shrug*

Quote:
3º Do you want use good quality textures? you need to download the gamecube texture pack.
Yeah, graphics are clearly everything.. i mean granted, the game isn't as slick as say.. the fifth installment of the series, but to claim you'd need some texture pack to play the game is lame at best.

Quote:
All of three problems above are easly solved with mods BUT using the NoCD patch.
All the issues i had were solved when i applied the patch but YMMV so again.. *shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebideedee View Post
I bought RE4 (PC) from HMV for £10, trust me, don't waste you're money on the PC version, even with mods, it's surely in the top 20 worst console ports list?
I really don't understand the hate towards the fourth game, as i found it to be pretty awesome, despite the port being not-so-amazingly done, but then again.. as i stated before, most of the issues with the game vanish after you patch it, as sure, the game still isn't the prettiest thing ever created, but it sure the hell isn't nowhere near as horrible as people make it out to be.
Lord Mordeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:32 AM   #11
Alienchild

I'd buy'em for sure. One of my favorite games series of all time Heck, I'd get Code Veronica for $50!
Alienchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:29 AM   #12
trek554

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Mordeth View Post

I really don't understand the hate towards the fourth game, as i found it to be pretty awesome, despite the port being not-so-amazingly done, but then again.. as i stated before, most of the issues with the game vanish after you patch it, as sure, the game still isn't the prettiest thing ever created, but it sure the hell isn't nowhere near as horrible as people make it out to be.
perhaps you should play the gamecube version and then re visit the pc version. the pc version is garbage compared to the original in every way. the only reason I have the pc version was because I found it for under 10 bucks and I wanted to play separate ways which did not come on the original gamecube version. even with mods the pc version sucks compared to the gamecube version.
trek554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:21 AM   #13
B0natti

I would like to see RE 1 to CV in Steam.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:13 AM   #14
vacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackNiko View Post
Resident evil on the pc, is one of those games that suffered in microsofts elimination of dos

Games Such as

Tyrian
Syndicate Wars
Resident evil

and many more cult classics, where not designed for anything other than Windows 95 or 98, in particular syndicate wars
You really should start googling for "dosbox"...
vacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:25 PM   #15
pistolols

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebideedee View Post
I bought FF7 & 8 recently for nostalgic reasons, they're not how you remember them, I'm pretty sure it'll be the same for the early RE games, worth a laugh for how bad they looked but at the time we were like "WooooW! thats so realistic lol
That was the case for me when i played FF7 recently, too, but not with RE2. I was stunned by how polished RE2 looked. Really an incredible game. Being that it's composed of all fixed-camera pre-rendered backgrounds, they were able to put a ton of detail into every setting. Some of the rooms in the police station with papers all over the ground and stuff scattered all over desks, it's detail you don't see in games even today. The erie settings of the original RE games are superior, you simply don't get the same feeling playing RE4 and RE5.
pistolols is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Resident Evil series > Resident Evil 5