Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 01-07-2010, 07:09 AM   #1
Titanous

Banned
How much bandwidth do online games use?

My gf is looking to get more into the steam community after picking up some steam deals for me and herself but she can't play online games because she has a limited monthly allowance of 3gb. She wouldn't have to download the games as that could be done at my house onto her laptop.

She occasionally goes over on allowance from just msn, youtube and surfing the internet so I guess it can't be a lot.

However, I am wondering how much bandwidth online/multiplayer gaming uses? I've never had a limited usuage connection so I have no idea, but could you give me a rough estimation of how much something like killing floor or warhammer would use per hour?

Thanks
Old 01-07-2010, 07:16 AM   #2
Vork

Banned
I am sorry to say but it takes about 200k a sec or so and it uses anywhere around that so I think it would put her over(if combined with normal use and possibly by itself).
Vork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:56 AM   #3
psychodude

Warhammer used roughly 50mb per hour for me. It sort of differs per game how much is actually used, TF2 or L4D give me around 10-30mb an hour.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:21 AM   #4
kalirion

It takes less than youtube, so if she plays games instead of watching youtube/hulu/whatever, she should be fine. Otherwise, if she's already going over the limit so often.....

And don't forget Steam updates. If she installs TF2 and one of those huge updates comes around....
kalirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:36 AM   #5
Titanous

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalirion View Post
It takes less than youtube, so if she plays games instead of watching youtube/hulu/whatever, she should be fine. Otherwise, if she's already going over the limit so often.....

And don't forget Steam updates. If she installs TF2 and one of those huge updates comes around....
I should have mentioned, and this applies also to the other posts, that I am investigating as she is planning on upgrading anyway as she is paying too much for 3bg a month. I'm just trying to find out if the standard 10gb most places offer for a reasonable price would be enough, or whether it would need to be unlimited.

Also, is there a way to stop automatic updates? Annoys me when I go to play a game and its updating, especially when I could just finish playing the game but leave it running to update afterwards.
Titanous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:36 AM   #6
Nekokami

Every time she loads up a 10 minutes youtube video, I'm not sure but I am guessing that is more of your allowance used then playing an online game for an hour (as long as the ionline game does not have to download anything whilst playing it will use minimal)

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips