Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Old 01-09-2010, 08:14 AM   #1
flaegz0r

Steam Live Support?

If you have problems with Steam, you will have to wait for atleast 1-2 days before Steam answers...

Get live support!!

Old 01-09-2010, 08:58 AM   #2
L.o.D.

You realize just how many people would be needed for live support for 20 million accounts?

Not possible.
L.o.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:04 AM   #3
MovieMan999

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.o.D. View Post
You realize just how many people would be needed for live support for 20 million accounts?

Not possible.
Precisely, it's not practical.
MovieMan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:27 AM   #4
ultradude25

If they did this Steam would become a PAID subscription service, where you have to pay monthly fees to keep access to your games so Valve has enough money to pay for the thousands of employees they'd need to run a system like this. Not going to happen.
ultradude25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:56 AM   #5
leveller

The idea is a sound one. Many businesses provide the service.

But ... I can imagine the amount of work the 24/7 support would get! If a system were implemented then I'm pretty sure there would have to be a ban option to ban people from abusing it, because you can be sure some out there would!!

However ...

We already have a help/tips/advice thread in Steam forums ... maybe Steam could place a Support icon that links to the forum thread directly, and when a new thread is posted up then the volunteers get notified somehow - I'm pretty sure there would be a notification system of sorts in place - maybe the 'report post' feature could be modified?

Thinking of the Apple forums, when a user posts a new thread, there is an option attached to every posted reply that says something like "Problem Solved? Or helpful?" ... maybe volunteers or general forum users could earn support credits for being Helpful or Solving problems?

Dedicated 24/7 support = logistical nightmare maybe? expensive maybe?

Volunteer 24/7 support = a maybe?

Maybe when the support icon is pressed then the technical advice forum thread is integrated within Steam to appear more in-line with the GUI as opposed to a forum thread.
leveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:00 AM   #6
ernest.

The only feasible way would be for them to outsource, just like most other websites. And if you've ever used another website's live chat support, you'd realize that outsourcing your support makes it essentially useless.
ernest. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:49 AM   #7
ribbins

oh god the waiting times...

"please wait... 10568days 12hours 43minutes and 34seconds estimated waiting time"
ribbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:36 PM   #8
flaegz0r

Im sure they wont waste one minute.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:02 AM   #9
V3n0mx3

Nah bad idea. To many workers and we would have to start paying for steam.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:43 AM   #10
borg_7_of_9

nightmare to even think about with a practicably endless number of different system's spec's, driver version's, os differences game's it's hard enough for the software vendors to make a game work on all the different hardware config's out there, they get it wrong and have to patch a work around or fix and there only dealing with the own software steam has numerous vendors just to start!

live support! Yeah they could but only for the steam ui issues not for all the different vendors as well!! for get it!!
borg_7_of_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:33 AM   #11
Amander

Someone would have to pay the supportlers. Right now, they're taking few days and I doubt that they're just lazy. And it's not like you really needed the support quick. The only thing which can't just wait are stolen accounts and in this case, it's quite the user's own fault for not verifying the email addres.
Amander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:47 PM   #12
Teh_Guy

I'd rather wait 1-2 days for a certain reply than >1 week just because 50k other people are complaining about being banned on MW2
Teh_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:33 AM   #13
dotDev

Bumping this because it was the first to show up on Google and I'd like to bring it up again. I really like the idea of live support but I also agree that there would be too much stuff going on to have it serve all customers. My suggestion: live support for billing issues only (having one right now ). What do you guys think?
dotDev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:50 AM   #14
Amander

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotDev View Post
Bumping this because it was the first to show up on Google and I'd like to bring it up again. I really like the idea of live support but I also agree that there would be too much stuff going on to have it serve all customers. My suggestion: live support for billing issues only (having one right now ). What do you guys think?
When there's a system to prevent jerks from coming to the billing-only live support with whatever else, that would be cool.
Amander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:00 AM   #15
cylon

For people that need NON-ACCOUNT related questions, there is the community support forum and there is a chat room set up called 'help & tips livechat' where there are generally people hanging about to help with items that don't NEED Steam support.

Of course things regarding passwords etc. you will have to go through support.
cylon is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas