Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 01-13-2010, 01:50 PM   #1
ThaProphet07

Slow game launch (and other random issues)

Hi everyone. Before I describe my steam issue I want to say searching on these forums has been a hassle. The majority of the time I tried searching it would bring me to a fatal error script page. I've been trying to fix this problem for over 2 weeks now, through google and these forums.

Basically, I just installed this new comp back in mid August, and immediately these problems arose. On my old, slower computer, it only took maybe 10 seconds or less to connect into a steam game. Now it takes me over 35 seconds to pass the "Preparing for Launch" box no matter what game. This problem isn't too serious but its becoming a major annoyance when I just wanna have a quick game.

Another problem is no matter what server i try joining (In CSS, 1.6, DoD Source) it always says "Server is not responding." Yet if I copy and paste the IP into the console and connect from there it works. This is getting annoying because I've never had these errors before, and if I wanna join a friend in game I cant follow through steam friends list.

The last weird issue I'm having is my Steam icon that appears on the task bar is no longer the white steam valve with a black background... its my Counter Strike Source icon. I.E. if I have only my friends list open, its the icon of CSS on my windows task bar.

Here are the steps I took in trying to resolve this issue:

1. Deleting the .blob file from my Steam folder
2. Defragging all my games on my steam list
3. Verifying all of my steam cache files
4. Adding -heapsize and -novid in my game launch options
5. And lastly, I tried reinstalling steam as a whole, deleting the steam folder, and reinstalling all my games.

This didn't resolve any of the issues mentioned above.

BTW, here are my system specs -- because it can NOT be that my computer is too slow or needs defragmentation:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Gigabyte EP45-UD3R motherboard
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 275 overclocked by BFGTech video card
Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 CPU overclocked @ 4.0GHz (2.8 GHz stock) processor
2x2GB (4GB) G.Skill 1066 RAM
3x32GB (96GB) raided Solid States, 500 GB Western Digital slave

With these specs, my connect to game should be instant, shouldn't it be?

I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me out. I have no idea what it could be...
Old 01-13-2010, 07:37 PM   #2
ThaProphet07

Should I just contact steam support for this issue?
ThaProphet07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:15 PM   #3
killafornia

Yeah other people are having trouble with this exact same problem on Windows 7 from what I've heard. Try contacting support or looking through the knowledge base.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:36 PM   #4
ThaProphet07

thank you, I searched the knowledge base but couldn't find much. I just sent in a steam support ticket so hopefully they can help me. Ill keep this thread posted so if i find the problem ill post how to fix it.

Unless if anyone already knows, can you be so kind as to let me know what you did? Thank you
Old 01-15-2010, 09:43 PM   #5
ThaProphet07

Ok, i was able to get into a game in 15 seconds after I turned off all my startup items including steam, but as I tried the second time it took about 35 seconds to connect again.

Does anyone know if an Adaware, Spybot and avast combination could be the reason? I know i read on the forums they dont work well with Steam, but i didnt have a problem on my old computer.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips