Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 01-16-2010, 08:07 PM   #1
Inbjiburu

Steam games on 2 Hard drives

Just wondering if this is possible. To have Steam look at both hard drives for games. Cause it'd save ALOT of annoyance if I could. Cause theres other games I'd like to install its just I rather do it on the other hard drive...save some space on my main one. Since games just keep getting bigger.

If anyone has done this I'd really appreciate some help on this.

Thank you for all the useful recommendations.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:10 PM   #2
zpr23

Steam needs to have EVERYTHING on the same partition.
zpr23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:20 PM   #3
Inbjiburu

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpr23 View Post
Well that sucks. Well, thats for letting me know. I know there was threads with the same topic but...I was thinking maybe they had a patch or something for it. Guess I'll have to install it twice or just make room o.o"....somehow.
Inbjiburu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:28 PM   #4
minerva79

Although it's tempting for all of us to installed the scores or hundreds of game in one drive, realistically we would probably be really playing a few games. A dozen at most.

So my advice for you is:

- download the games (maybe all of them),
- try them out (to see if they work)
- back them up (or just delete if you don't mind future download)
- purge titles you don't forsee yourself playing for the next 14 days.
minerva79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:43 PM   #5
R

Why not move the entire Steam folder to the other drive off the main one? That's what I got on my computer (which is not in my possession right now...)
R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:20 AM   #6
Inbjiburu

Quote:
Originally Posted by minerva79 View Post
Although it's tempting for all of us to installed the scores or hundreds of game in one drive, realistically we would probably be really playing a few games. A dozen at most.

So my advice for you is:

- download the games (maybe all of them),
- try them out (to see if they work)
- back them up (or just delete if you don't mind future download)
- purge titles you don't forsee yourself playing for the next 14 days.
I'v no intention of having ALL of them on my hard drive. Because yeah, you are right. I'd only have the more common ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R View Post
Why not move the entire Steam folder to the other drive off the main one? That's what I got on my computer (which is not in my possession right now...)
I thought of that actually, I'll probably give that a try. It'll mostly depend on how big the hard drive turns out to be (my second one). I'll probably try it with one game just to make sure the move doesn't screw anything up...hoping it does work actually. I really don't want to find myself downloading them all again or doing a mass move of files and programs from my main to make room. I am getting a better computer at the same time so, other games will be added. And games just keep getting bigger.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:14 AM   #7
ester25

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpr23 View Post
That is true, however there is a way around this - you need to look into NTFS junctions
ester25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:06 AM   #8
Inbjiburu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ester25 View Post
That is true, however there is a way around this - you need to look into NTFS junctions
As much as I'd like to look into neat ways into doing things differently. I rather just pick the simple tested and true ways with this. I just found out how big the second hard drive is gunna be. I think I'll just end moving my steam games and media over and leaving my non-steam games on my main.

Thank you all for your help with this. And I really hope Valve thinks about making a way for Steam to run off of two hard drives (or more).
Old 02-16-2010, 02:05 PM   #9
Nordo

Hi all,

I was wondering if it is possible to have 2 steam applications on the same computer?

I'd rather not mess with the NTFS junctions and Windows operating system linking methods right now, and am looking for a simpler solution.

<edit>: so far I have taken the bare-bones of my original steam install from my original drive and copied over to another partition. I deleted the clientregistry.blob and it seems to work along with the other steam folder.

So now I have Steam 1 on drive C:\ with a bunch of games, and Steam 2 on drive F:\ with 1 big game which is not in Steam 1.

Does anyone see any potential problems with this setup (apart from having to go between two steams for various games?
Nordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:07 PM   #10
seseorang

Just move the entire directory to the new hard drive and go into options and re-select start with Windows, or fix the shortcuts so they point to the correct place and launches it properly
seseorang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:10 PM   #11
Nordo

Because of limited space, I am forced to have all my games on two hard drive partitions, as I cannot keep all of them on any one drive alone. So my intention is to have 2 different steams with 2 different assortment of games on 2 different drives. So far this is working and I'm just wondering if anyone can see any problems with this.
Nordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:14 PM   #12
seseorang

Yes - confusion. You may forget about one, download some more and run out of space encountering an "Out of disk space" message.
Hard drives are pretty cheap and quick to install. Even if it's external
seseorang is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips