Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 01-19-2010, 12:25 PM   #1
p1ss3d

Steam games not working...HELP!

So, yesterday (1/18/10) all was fine. Played MW2, Dragon Age: Origin, and CSS all with no problems. Today (roughly 6 hours after last playing) I turn on PC, try DAO, and I get nothing. Not a crash, not an error, nothing. Try to start game, get a brief steam window saying DAO is starting, then nothing happens. cntl-alt-del, and there it is as an active process, but no game.

Next tried MW2. I get the MW2 splash screen, cursor becomes an hourglass, and then nothing happens. cntl-alt-del again, and MW2 is "not responding". I've had hiccups with steam before, but nothing like this and nothin effecting ALL my steam games.

I've tried deleting the .blob files, steam re-updates them, and still have same results. I've dug through forums and am getting nothing. Someone please help!!

***Update***
Since original post this morning, i have taken some of your advise and uninstalled / reinstalled steam. Had NO effect. MW2 still freezing on load. Also, I'm now slightly panicked as I didnt back up any game files (DOH!) and I'm now left wondering if I will still have all my MW2 achievements, DA:Origins savegame data etc etc etc... god I hope so, as that is ALOT of gaming to repeat!

Last edited by p1ss3d: 01-19-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:10 PM   #2
VAC Angel

I had this problem for a while before I went on active duty, delete the WHOLE Steam directory, then reinstall Steam/your games, it will work.
VAC Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:59 PM   #3
pixeluser

I have the same Problem, but deleting Steam doesn't solve the Problem, not one Game ist working anymore with steam since yesterday 01.18.2010. Please help
Old 01-19-2010, 04:19 PM   #4
esswok ¿

Me too all was well!

years of ok fine now it just happened to me!

I did nothing to my PC NOTHING!

Steam wont work it really sucks.

it is easys to say reinstall it, and it will work again but I did not do anything to cause this and should not have to do a complete re build
Old 01-19-2010, 04:56 PM   #5
JayKae

Same here mate
JayKae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:56 PM   #6
p1ss3d

Also just tried restoring from a premade restore point... no luck there either. Another thread showed a link detailing other programs known to interact with steam. My virus software was on there, but I've never had problems before. I suppose I'll remove the virus software, as it IS poss the new client update is somehow now interacting with the virus software.
p1ss3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:52 PM   #7
JayKae

I tried the same thing, no go for me still, I actually downloaded steam on an empty boot of Win7 64bit, downloaded steam, downloaded one game and still no go
Old 01-20-2010, 07:52 AM   #8
p1ss3d

I've literally tried every solution I have found for almost any problem on here. Nothing works as of yet. Until Valve comes out with somethnig, I have NO steam games and I'm REALLY angry about it. Totaled it up, and I have about $1200 worth of products that I suddenly can't use. I'm VERY angry today!
Old 01-20-2010, 09:56 AM   #9
Mythraneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1ss3d View Post

***Update***
Since original post this morning, i have taken some of your advise and uninstalled / reinstalled steam. Had NO effect. MW2 still freezing on load. Also, I'm now slightly panicked as I didnt back up any game files (DOH!) and I'm now left wondering if I will still have all my MW2 achievements, DA:Origins savegame data etc etc etc... god I hope so, as that is ALOT of gaming to repeat!
I uninstalled MW2 last week without backing up my game files and when I reinstalled it I still had my acheivements, level etc. Only thing that was different was my button configuration and video/audio settings

As far as your origional question, unfortunatly I can't help you there. Sorry
Mythraneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:17 AM   #10
p1ss3d

hahaha, well, I appreciate knowing that when steam fixes thier current crainum-rectal-inversion problem that I will at least have my games where I left em!
Old 01-20-2010, 10:25 AM   #11
p1ss3d

Ok, new update... On a whim I reinstalled CS:S... haven't had it on here for a long while. As it turns out, I can play CSS through steam... so apparently it's just newer games I'm having issues with (Dragon Age, MW2, 40k games...

Anythoughts as to why I can play CSS but not newer games?
Old 01-23-2010, 03:42 PM   #12
JayKae

Ok, I still cannot access anything, it just sits there, starts the client for any game in question and does nothing
Old 01-25-2010, 02:15 PM   #13
alexhead

I've the same problem but only for un-Valve games likes MW2, Dawn of War 2 and Killing Floor. Only Team Fortress 2 and Counter Strike Source are working.

I've tried to uninstall et reinstall steam and redownload game files for Killing Floor but it still don't work...
Old 01-26-2010, 03:59 AM   #14
sgt.roadkill

Same problem here WITH Dawn of War 2 and Saints Row 2
Old 01-26-2010, 06:26 AM   #15
aciada

same problem more or less! i already made a thread about it myself though. none of my steam games at all work they go to the steam logo and i get nothing. i tried uninstalling then defragging tf2 but it didnt work, still wont run. can we get a solution or hot fix here? my steam + games used to work perfectly and now none of em do *sigh*
aciada is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips