Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > SpaceForce: Rogue Universe

Old 01-21-2010, 07:14 PM   #1
krulwick

Steam update removed control & options functionality

--I had played the demo for this game and enjoyed it but I noticed that even though Space Force provided joystick support, the throttle was not being recognized and did not work. All other control(s) worked as expected on my Saitek X-52.

I was not sure at that time if that issue would exist in the full game, which was a concern for me because I only play space flight sims with a joystick & throttle.

The price of the game was lowered to 9.99 on Steam which prompted me to purchase it and take a chance, hoping that full joystick support would exist. I went into the game with a low expectation that the throttle function would work as intended but it did work. So I have been playing Space Force with the Saitek X-52 and my system is capable of running the game with high graphic settings, etc. It plays great for me, it looks wonderful. I am having a great time playing it.

However, recently I opened up Steam, clicked Space Force to start it, and watched a dialogue panel inform me that the game was updating. So I waited for it to finish, which it did, and then the game re-launched. After the game launched I found that the resolution had changed. It looked to be at 640x480. This was visible right on the main menu. In game it was the same. I had been playing the game before the update at 1280x 1024. I also found that the throttle no longer had functionality, except with the mouse. I recall that there was also an update to Steam itself at this time.
I thought maybe the update(s) had reset some configuration settings. I have had that happen. Changing the resolution back to 1280x1024 does not work. Playing with the settings for the joystick control changes nothing.

--Before the update(s) to Space Force & Steam, I could change resolution settings and was using 1280x1024. I had full joystick support w/throttle using a Saitek X-52.
--After the update(s) the game is stuck in low res and the throttle no longer functions.

My thoughts now besides building a time machine to travel back before the update(s) to stop them are that others may have these or similar issues and they can be identified and acknowledged as real bugs to hopefully be resolved in a future update.

I am currently not playing the game because I cannot enjoy it without that functionality intact.

-thanks in advance to those who may be able to help-

-Krulwick-
Old 01-29-2010, 07:14 PM   #2
krulwick

Patch 1.2 reverted the game to before patch 1.1

I looked at the text files for both the 1.1 and the 1.2 patches.

The 1.1 patch states fixes for the issues that I am seeing now.
This leads me to believe that this latest patch has reverted the game back to the state in which these issues existed, before they were fixed with the 1.1 patch.

These two lines are from the 1.1 patch doc. These appear to be related to the current issues I am seeing now after the 1.2 patch.

- fixed bug where resolution couldn't be changed (This is currently the case. Changes in resolution settings result in nothing happening. This is visible right on the 3D menu.)

- fixed joystick bug where thruster is turned on by default for all joysticks (The throttle on my Saitek X-52 was working before the 1.2 patch. It no longer functions. All other joystick settings are functioning.)

If anyone has info as to whether these issues are being identified, or how long it may be before a fix is delivered, please do chime in. I understand that a new fix, can break a previous fix. I have had it happen with Steam updates.
I enjoyed playing this game and look forward to the time I can play it again, as it was meant to be.

-Krulwick
krulwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:38 AM   #3
Megalomaniac

Nordic Games Austria
We will look into that.
Megalomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:49 AM   #4
Megalomaniac

Nordic Games Austria
Hi,

I have checked it now and for me there is no problem. From the launcher menu I can change the resolution.

Or was there an ingame menu where you could change that?
Old 02-03-2010, 08:04 PM   #5
krulwick

No. As far as I can tell, you can only change the resolution from the launcher menu.

I am going to re-install again and see what happens. But I have already re-installed a few times.
In the demo, the throttle would not function but there was no issue with the resolution.

I did not list system info previously:

Win XP Pro Service Pack 3
AMD (Unknown) Quad Core 2.8 ghz
4 gigs Ram
NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT
Sound Blaster X-FI
DirectX 9.c

Thanks-
Old 02-03-2010, 08:11 PM   #6
krulwick

I don't know if my dxdiag will help or any log files from the game.
If so, i'll put that info up if needed.

Thanks once again-
Old 02-03-2010, 08:28 PM   #7
krulwick

Re-installed again. Same issues remain. I tried playing with configs, etc., but that did not change anything.

Tried changing resolutions again but no changes are being seen. Throttle does work using the mouse, but not on the X-52.

Thanks-
Old 02-05-2010, 12:25 PM   #8
Megalomaniac

Nordic Games Austria
Try to delete the config from the Steam\steamapps\common\spaceforce rogue universe\System folder and see if it brings any change.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:30 AM   #9
krulwick

I removed the config and started the game but received this error:

The instruction at "0x003578e0" references memory at "0x00000000".
The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program

With the config in the folder the game will start normally.
No other changes were seen.

Thanks
Old 02-13-2010, 06:24 PM   #10
Megalomaniac

Nordic Games Austria
Thats really strange. In what language do you have the game?
Old 02-15-2010, 05:28 PM   #11
krulwick

I purchased this through Steam. English Version.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:24 PM   #12
mesaone

I am having problems with custom controls to -- I use kb/mouse. I tried to remap T to "Roll Right" and I mapped teleport to NUM9. Now ROLL RIGHT only works if I double-tap T, forcing a barrell roll. It refuses to function otherwise.
mesaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:25 PM   #13
krulwick

I tried a few things but could not find a way to restore functionality back to where it was when I first purchased SF on Steam.

I recently purchased a retail box copy of SFRU on Amazon because I figured it would most likely be an un-patched version. Then I could patch it up manually, or not. It is version 1.0 and has all of the functionality it should have. Joystick functions, options, etc. I am not experiencing anything like after the Steam version had been updated, as detailed earlier.

Though I regret having to make another purchase and I am stuck with a purchase I cannot do anything with, I am happy to be playing this one.

Thanks to those who tried to help resolve this. I do appreciate it.

The stars are calling...

-Krulwick-
Old 06-25-2010, 09:49 PM   #14
musterfox

I want to buy this game but am concerned as I too have an X-52 setup.

@mesaone
Did you manage to sort out your custom control issues?

@Megalomaniac
1) Will the Steam English version run properly with the X-52 in WinXP?
2)I will definitely be changing a lot of keys (going by past experience with sims) so I need to know whether customizing controls works properly.
3)Does the game work at 1920x1080 res? If not, what is the max res supported?

Please confirm as I will base my "buy" decision based on these factors.
musterfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:05 AM   #15
mesaone

yeah everything worked out. A restart and verify integrity of game cache, and everything worked. But my gamepad doesnt hook up like a gamepad per se, it registers as a HID device -- its basically a second keyboard. Your x52 might behave differently since it is a control stick and has its own mapping software.

Why don't you download the demo here and test it with your flight stick. if all is well, purchase the game with no fear

Another thing to do, if you can, is set up a control scheme in the flight stick's mapping software to match the default controls in Space Force, that way there won't be an issue

EDIT: I think max res is 1900x1200 for some monitors. It definitely runs at 1920x1080 with the correct aspect ratio with no problems!

Last edited by mesaone: 06-26-2010 at 10:09 AM.
mesaone is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > SpaceForce: Rogue Universe