Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Old 01-24-2010, 02:43 PM   #1
Omega Sandvich

The Valve Universe

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I'm not exactly certain where this would go. I've been looking around on some websites that have a ton of crossover theories for certain Valve games (HL2XPortal, L4DXTF2, PortalXTF2, etc). However, I've never seen anyone attempt bringing more than about 3 of the game's plots together. And since most of the game's plots are pretty mysterious and vague, I think it could be interesting to come up with a way to tie all of these plots together, or at least a bunch of them, in some weird, convoluted way. I've always been into the idea of certain series existing in other series' worlds. However, I'm not very good at coming up with ideas for how they can stick together, so that's mainly why I'm posting this. Is there a point to this? No

Here's some things in each Valve game (that I've played) that could be used as plot connections to other Valve games:

The TF2 Engineer's teleporters, both in design and functionality, somewhat resemble the teleporter that Gordon and Alyx use in HL2, and even more so the prototype teleporters on Dr. Kleiner's desk in his lab (as seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlVBHvuSxyM ). Some connection could also be made with the teleporters and the Portal Gun

TF2, HL2 and Portal all have some form of turrets in the games

The Pyro in TF2 and the Combine Soldiers in HL2 are loosely reminiscent of eachother

The Announcer from TF2, GLaDOS from Portal, and the Combine Overwatch Administrator from HL2 all have very similar voices, implying that they're all the same or similar beings in some way or another. Each one of these characters also have some form of power over something as well (Announcer orders all the TF2 characters, GLaDOS runs Aperture Science Labs, and the Combine Overwatch Administrator...well duh)

Scout from TF2 and Ellis from L4D2 seem very similar to one another. They're both baseball fans, they dress similarly, have similar personalities ("Grass grows, birds fly, the sun shines, and brotha...I hurt people" "Kill all sons of es, that's my 'fficial instructions") and use bats as weapons. Scout's bio also claims that he's the youngest of 8 boys, meaning Ellis could be one of them. It does say that Ellis was born and raised in Georgia, while Scout was born and raised in Boston, but that doesn't mean they can't be connected in some way

Speaking of Scout similarities, he's also very reminiscent of the crazy church guy in L4D1. They're very excitable and act like they're hyped up on caffeine, have similar voices, and we never hear the church guy's name or see what he looks like. He could either be a relative of the Scout or even the Scout himself (though he lacks the Brooklyn style accent, so he's probably not the Scout)

Gman from HL2 and Spy from TF2 seem very similar to eachother as well. They both wear nice suits, act very proper and sophisticated (Spy's in game dialogue aside), and we can never seem to tell whose side they're really on. They're also seen carrying briefcases quite often (Gman's briefcase and the intelligence, which could be a whole other comparison altogether). Spy's ability to turn invisible with his watch could be compared to how Gman always seems to disappear whenever he wants. We don't really know exactly what the Spy's face looks like either

(Not exactly sure where I'm going with this one, but) There could be some kind of comparison to be made with TF2's Sandvich and Bonk and the Portal caek. I know I'm reaching with this one, but I'm sure there could be something to this

TF2 and HL2 have very similar health packs. They're activated simply by touching them, have the same sound effect, and are overall very similar, the only real difference being the designs. Speaking of health, TF2's dispenser's health giving ability and HL2's health chargers could also be compared as well

Both HL2 and L4D have zombies (though granted, drastically different kinds of zombies)

In L4D1, Louis will sometimes say "This is just like Counter Strike!" (not sure what activates the line)

(This one is pretty obvious) In L4D2, one of the melee weapons is a crowbar very reminiscent of Gordon Freeman's crowbar

Similarly, the axe in L4D2 is also similar to the Pyro's axe

Those are all the ones I could think of. And yeah, I know that this proves that I'm a huge ing nerd. But if being a nerd is wrong, then I don't wanna be right

Last edited by Omega Sandvich: 01-24-2010 at 03:01 PM.

Old 01-24-2010, 03:13 PM   #2
pixelante15

Of course GlaDOS, The TF2 announcer and the Overwatch administrator will sound similar, they were voiced by the same voice actor.

As for theories tying all the plots together, I think that would be a horrible convoluted mess.
pixelante15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:24 PM   #3
Omega Sandvich

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelante15 View Post
Of course GlaDOS, The TF2 announcer and the Overwatch administrator will sound similar, they were voiced by the same voice actor.
I know that. That's where I got the comparison from in the first place

Quote:
As for theories tying all the plots together, I think that would be a horrible convoluted mess.
I think it'll be a awesome convoluted mess. Sure, it'll come out completely complicated, confusing and stupid, but it could still be fun thinking it up
Old 01-24-2010, 07:28 PM   #4
Klokkwork

*****Spoiler*****

Aren't HL2 and Portal already tied together? At the end of the hallway before entering GLaDOS' chamber, there's a room with a projector cycling images of Aperture Science's finances versus competitor Black Mesa. And HL3 made clear reference to Portal's Aperture Science. So it seems to me this is more than hints or in-jokes. I could easily see Chell and Gordon Freeman crossing paths.

TF2, on the other hand, exists in a much more exaggerated, rather cartoony universe, and L4D is a whole different world. It'd be hard, I think, to see them crossing over. Not officially, anyways. Maybe just use GMod to make some kind of fan-fic web comic or something. But gameplay? I don't see how it could work. Though the Heavy would kinda kick butt against the zombie horde. I just think it would be tough to resolve the differing animation styles.

Maybe the L4D crew could team up with the TF2 guys and work together against the undead. But the zombies get to have the Director on their side.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:04 PM   #5
Omega Sandvich

I was kind of talking more about the stories of each game, not the gameplay. I agree that there's no way TF2+L4D+HL2+Portal could work as a game, since that's not really what I'm getting at. I'm talking about ideas that the stories could crossover. For example, because he can build turrets and teleporters, maybe the Engineer originally worked for Aperture Science

And I'm not talking about making anything official or anything, that has little to no chances of happening other than maybe PortalXHL2. As for a comic, I suppose someone could do that, but that's not my intention. What this thread is for is to just have fun and think of weird and interesting ways the Valve games stories could all intertwine, nothing more, nothing less

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas