Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Mass Effect series

Old 01-27-2010, 08:58 AM   #1
Mouse1

Banned
HOWTO: Hack coalesced.ini

Since the game has almost no PC customization options, you either can edit the ini file yourself or wait for the unlikely release of a patch from bioware.

I have the steam version and it appears to work perfectly fine.

The file you need to edit is by default: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\mass effect 2\BioGame\Config\PC\Cooked\Coalesced.ini

BEFORE DOING ANYTHING BACK THIS FILE UP.

Some of you may notice how when you edited the file it causes the game to crash. According to here (I got most of my info there, thanks to the guy there who posted it up) it's because of some weird stuff in the file which needs reconstructing whenever you make changes.

First off you need a good editor. Get yourself Notepad++, open the file, and insure your editor is set up properly by insuring the following is selected: Edit > EOL Conversion > UNIX format

Okay now make your changes. If you try to run your game now the game will crash. Because you need to reconstruct the file and the guy wrote a nice script for that here: http://www.mediafire.com/?yjjzlzzzmyj

The ini's he provides are filled with cheats, you don't want that, just grab the .rb file.

You'll also need ruby to run it, but one of the later versions, not the one listed on the site. Get this one: http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.ph...1-p243-rc1.exe

During setup of that make sure you associate .rb files with that installation.

Then toss the .rb file into the folder with your Coalesced.ini file, run the file, it'll make a Coalesced_fixed.ini file which is the one you want to use, so just delete the old one you just edited in the directory and remove the _fixed suffix. Run the game, it should work.

Here's a few suggested changes:

To remove those unskippable annoying movies at the beginning find:
Code:
StartupMovies=BWLogo
StartupMovies=ME_EAsig_720p_v2_raw
StartupMovies=publisher
replace with:
Code:
;StartupMovies=BWLogo
;StartupMovies=ME_EAsig_720p_v2_raw
;StartupMovies=publisher
To modify your mouse sensitivity edit:
Code:
MouseSensitivity=1.0
May take a while to get it right but I set it to 0.5 and it's already leagues better than it was before.

You also might want to disable mouse smoothing on the line:
Code:
bEnableMouseSmoothing=true
Set to false

I've already done a little of experimenting trying to bind weapon switching controls to F1-F4, no luck so far, I don't know a whole lot about the UT3 engine so if someone finds some good ini hacks I'll throw them up here.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:08 AM   #2
QuickCon

Stick this.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:50 AM   #3
mr6889

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickCon View Post
Stick this.
This.

Thanks you Mouse. This was much needed.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:06 AM   #4
Amber.Sweet

Any way to remove those annoying popups that tell you when you gained Paragon/Renegade points, when your journal has been updated, what your achievement tally is (ie, 5/15 codex unlocked! 1/x headshots!)? You would be a godsend if you could figure that out.
Amber.Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:30 AM   #5
Sozen

Thanks, I wish developers would put all of the customization options in the actual in game interface rather than forcing us to edit the .ini files.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:50 AM   #6
chepito

Is there any method to disable the HUD?
Old 01-27-2010, 11:04 AM   #7
Shadestorm

I really, really hope they add weapon switching to F1-F4. I immediately swapped the (Shift) and (Spacebar) keymappings... I just wish the keys were mappable to that of the first game's configuration.

Good work! This thread should be stuck.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:32 AM   #8
alehm

Seriously? Did they forget people use a mouse in PC games?
alehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:38 AM   #9
Mouse1

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadestorm View Post
I really, really hope they add weapon switching to F1-F4. I immediately swapped the (Shift) and (Spacebar) keymappings... I just wish the keys were mappable to that of the first game's configuration.

Good work! This thread should be stuck.
I actually went into the mass effect cfg files and took out the weapon switching bindings to see if the same bindings were left in and just left unassigned, it didn't work. Maybe I did it wrong, I don't know. At the very least I'm providing the means to edit the ini file here, hoping that someone with a bit more experience will bring this game to the PC platform for real.

At the very least though, the mouse sensitivity and disabling of mouse smoothing actually makes the game playable dispite all the other annoyances.
Mouse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:41 AM   #10
KShots

Is there anything for disabling the crosshairs? The 2D crosshair is in my face with nvidia 3D vision, and the 3D vision crosshair seems to work just fine... just hard to focus on with the 2D crosshair in my face.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:44 AM   #11
Mouse1

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by KShots View Post
Is there anything for disabling the crosshairs? The 2D crosshair is in my face with nvidia 3D vision, and the 3D vision crosshair seems to work just fine... just hard to focus on with the 2D crosshair in my face.
I won't be able to help. Most of the information I posted up here I found through searching so I figured I'd compile it all in one thread to help others. You'll have to look for it yourself, if you have something interesting to add I'll put into the first post.
Mouse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:43 PM   #12
wyvaud

+ rep'd

Also, karma points for not liking the interface and *doing something about it* instead of whining, like some people. One free internet for you.
wyvaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:48 PM   #13
vashts1985

any AA lines in the configs? or is that like a Mod UT3 taboo?
vashts1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:49 PM   #14
Keram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse1 View Post

You also might want to disable mouse smoothing on the line:
Code:
bEnableMouseSmoothing=true
Set to false
You may also have to delete 1 zero from the end of the previous line, this file is VERY finicky to changes in character count. I had to do this to prevent me from crashing on startup.

Also as a note if you are already using notepad++ you don't even need to run the script to "fix" the file. It opens and saves just fine on its own with the above caveat that it is sometimes sensitive to character count.

Last edited by Keram: 01-27-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:29 PM   #15
stray06

Has anyone found how to add certain key bindings? Like adding keybindings on each weapons or with the squad or journal menus??

I think it's impossible but worth asking. Because, for me, it's annoying to use mouse wheel to change weapons or pausing the game. Pressing esc everytime you want to go to squad or journal is the same thing.

I know some people are annoyed because of the lack of support of this additional feature. I was hoping that this would be included since this is in a pc platform but it seems they didn't consider adding it.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Mass Effect series