Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Xbox 360 & Playstation 3 Game Discussions > Left 4 Dead 2

Old 01-30-2010, 05:10 AM   #1
L4D Base

How to create an excellent lobby of random players.

This method will work.

*Don't bother making sure everyone has a mic. Some of the best players don't have a mic. But to be fair, don't have one team full of micers and one team of non-micers. Mix it around a bit.

*Kick split screeners (all of them suck)

*Don't bother making sure everyone talks. Anyone who does this is an idiot.

*Don't bother kicking children - 30% of them are better than the adults. Only kick them if they are annoying, or they suck.

*Don't check their gamerscore. Gamerscore means nothing.

*Lastly, tell eveyone in the lobby to have fun and enjoy the game.

All of these checkpoints will guarantee a good game and having a fun match.

the end

Old 01-30-2010, 07:01 AM   #2
bose645

hey, good post. well... as far as mics go... some people prefer to game over chat (myself), others just like to talk about whatever, and some people don't have / use mics at all. If someone is annoying all you have to do is just mute that individual (that's all). If I'm in a game with 7 annoying people, I just turn the volume all the way down on my neo tech communicator (simple as that). Should never be kicked though (in my opinion). Unless someone is team killer.. why I think there should be no FF.

check out my thread
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1123669
on how the sh** should be done.

if we were to have ranked and player match games.. I'd say, no split screen for ranked games and only allowed for player match games like gears of war did (but that's just me).

Last edited by bose645: 01-30-2010 at 07:03 AM.
bose645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:54 PM   #3
shawn1804

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4D Base View Post
This method will work.

*Don't bother making sure everyone has a mic. Some of the best players don't have a mic. But to be fair, don't have one team full of micers and one team of non-micers. Mix it around a bit.eh, i like everyone having a mic on my team. i don't like playing l4d2 in silence, since it is more of a teamwork game

*Kick split screeners (all of them suck)agreed

*Don't bother making sure everyone talks. Anyone who does this is an idiot.I've seen lobby leaders do it. And I'm glad they do. Nothing is more ignorant than having a mic but pretending you don't. We all see your mic symbol is on! It's a video game, no need to be shy.

*Don't bother kicking children - 30% of them are better than the adults. Only kick them if they are annoying, or they suck.I haven't run into many children in this game that aren't annoying and suck. I always give them the benefit of the doubt though

*Don't check their gamerscore. Gamerscore means nothing.I don't know anyone who does this

*Lastly, tell everyone in the lobby to have fun and enjoy the game.

All of these checkpoints will guarantee a good game and having a fun match.

the end
Also, I've played a lot of scavenge games recently were there was a gentleman's agreement not to use that b*tchglitch with the pipebomb and billboard at the motel. So far every game ended up being friendly and fun.

Also also , I like to be able to hear the lobby leader being active. Asking the other team if they want no mic'ers kicked, or split screen, or which map they want to play. Every game with an active lobby leader always ends up successful.
shawn1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:52 AM   #4
L00fah

Banned
I can't say I agree with most of those points.

Mics, for MY lobbies, are necessary. I hate playing with a team who can't hear me.

Last edited by L00fah: 01-31-2010 at 04:56 AM.
L00fah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:34 AM   #5
GhostFreak

Quote:
This method will work.

*Don't bother making sure everyone has a mic. Some of the best players don't have a mic. But to be fair, don't have one team full of micers and one team of non-micers. Mix it around a bit.
This is where I stopped reading. I have yet to meet a "non-micer" who is a better player than myself.
GhostFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 02:26 PM   #6
L4D Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostFreak View Post
This is where I stopped reading. I have yet to meet a "non-micer" who is a better player than myself.
Why should they be better than you?
Old 01-31-2010, 03:19 PM   #7
shawn1804

Quote:
Why should they be better than you?
Well because they are at a disadvantage since they cannot communicate with you. You can't really get a good strategy going if you can't talk to your team. So they need to be able to do what I can do, and do it being a mute. Which makes them having to be better than him (or me, you, us, them, which ever the case is)

But this could be different depending on the type of game mode your playing.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:10 PM   #8
elscorchochris

^See my minor rant about nonverbal communication in this thread...

The only instance where I can recall no-mic being a major disadvantage was when I Smoked one from around the corner and one floor down in DeadCenter1, and since he couldn't tell his team where I was or really show them, I'd run and hide, sneak back out as soon as he got helped up, and pull him over again. 'Twas really quite funny...

But yeah, I don't play with a mic myself, and I think I do a better job at nonverbal communication with my team anyways, I always check their backs and expect them to do the same (although this doesn't often happen).

Quote:
^also, I particularly liked this post because the user (probably inadvertently) insinuates that they need better players than them to win, which would make them a pretty poor leader, imo...
Old 01-31-2010, 09:12 PM   #9
shawn1804

^^^^I read your minor rant, but I still didn't see an acceptable reason. Your 100% right about if the team follows the other people throughout the game, but I think 30% of the time no mic'ers actually do that (just what happens to me, it could be different for others). It's always a problem if people wander off by themselves, whether they have a mic or not. But to me it seems like the people without mic's do it more often.

See, the problem I have with it is that sometimes people with no mic's don't have a quick enough reaction time. If I'm being strangled by a smoker, it's quicker for me to say "ahhh I'm being smoked" than waiting for the game to say something loud enough for them to hear me. And usually if they have a mic, they'll give a reason or excuse why they're not by me, or a reassurance that they're coming. Without a mic, I usually assume they either they a.)don't want to get me or be b.) didn't hear me.

It's a matter of preference really. Like I said, I don't mind if I play with no mic's, but they have to earn my respect first. If they can hold their own, able to communicate without mics, and notice when help is needed, then they can be on my team. It's just the initial handicap that makes me worried about them.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:10 PM   #10
elscorchochris

^I can definitely see your point, and although it may seem like a minor time difference at first, that reaction time can easily become an important factor in some games.

I've noticed just as many awful mic-ed folks than nm's in my time with the game, but I can understand your concerns. I sometimes enjoy using the mic, but more often than not I'm worried more about creating misunderstandings over it, haha. Plus, I do feel just a tad bit better on the occasion that I get a good takedown on a mic-ed team.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:36 PM   #11
itsBATTLESUIT

Quote:

This isn't always true. People from my L4D group will often come over and we'll play a few games. Some have their Live on a MU so you wouldn't even know.

If I'm showing a friend the game or playing with someone who is unfamiliar or no good, it's local campaign all the way.
itsBATTLESUIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:56 PM   #12
welike6

Quote:
This method will work.

*Make sure everyone has a mic.

*Make sure everyone talks. Because some people never communicate despite having a mic in lobby. And you can weed out the children and other non-desirable types.

*Always kick children - they always suck.

*Don't check their gamerscore. Gamerscore means nothing.

*Lastly, tell eveyone in the lobby to have fun and enjoy the game.

All of these checkpoints will guarantee that the game lasts until at least the second map.

the end
I translated your post into correctness for you.

Last edited by welike6: 02-01-2010 at 11:18 PM.
welike6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Xbox 360 & Playstation 3 Game Discussions > Left 4 Dead 2