Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > BioShock 1 & 2

Old 02-02-2010, 03:31 AM   #1
|TTU|VaD3rTM

How to fix the "Bioshock.exe has stopped working" (Windows 7)

1.First, make sure that you meet the minimum hardware requirements and that you are running the latest drivers for your video card. You know, this is the basic stuff that you need to do for any game issue.

2.Next, go to Control Panel, Hardware and Sound, Manage Audio Devices, and select the Recording tab.

3.Next, right click the empty space below the installed devices and check Show Disabled Devices.

4.The Stereo Mix should appear. Right click on the icon and enable it. Then, click on OK to close the window and then close the Control Panel.

5.Next, locate the bioshock.exe file. Mine is located here: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\bioshock\Builds\Relea se\Bioshock.exe". Right click on it and select Properties. Select the Compatibility tab and and check "Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows Vista".

6.To start the game, double click on the bioshock.exe file (It also works if you use the steam button to)

This worked for me and they seems to be no problems

I did not find this! here is the actual link to where I got it
http://www.consideritfixed.com/2009/...windows-7.html
Old 02-02-2010, 07:31 AM   #2
kelticpete

that did not work for me.

i deleted and reinstalled steam and bioshock. i deleted client.blob. i tried compatability mode. i tried the fix with sound but I don't see "sound mixer" listed.
kelticpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:33 AM   #3
|TTU|VaD3rTM

Are you on Widows 7? if so you have to right click and check the "Show disabled devices" on the recording tab of the sound bit

Last edited by |TTU|VaD3rTM: 02-02-2010 at 07:33 AM. Reason: typo
|TTU|VaD3rTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:52 AM   #4
kelticpete

i did right click and check the box next to show disalbed devices and nothing comes up.

i plugged a headphone into microphone jack and instead of logo and crash I got logo and BSOD.

Last edited by kelticpete: 02-02-2010 at 08:42 AM. Reason: update
kelticpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:28 AM   #5
|TTU|VaD3rTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelticpete View Post
i did right click and check the box next to show disalbed devices and nothing comes up.

i plugged a headphone into microphone jack and instead of logo and crash I got logo and BSOD.
When I first tried to make my bioshock work I tried running it in xp SP3 compatibility and it happened to me then. I had to use Ctrl+alt+delete

I think the fix i said at the start only works with Realtek (i may be wrong though
|TTU|VaD3rTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:36 AM   #6
thecyphermage

If you haven't already, might as well give this a try since it sounds like exactly the same problem I was having:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1115694
Old 11-22-2010, 11:31 AM   #7
Geseppe22

this is the only thing that worked for me

This is a simple thing that I can't figure out, but whenever I don't have something plugged into the microphone port, I get bioshock.exe has stopped working or the in game sound doesn't work. Just thought I should share. As long as I keep something plugged into the microphone jack, it works!
Old 05-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #8
pasapeb1000

I tried with compatibility mode and it worked just go to steam/steamapps/common/bioshock/build/release and right click bioshock.exe, click properties and search for compatibility mark the square that says run in compatibility mode and search in the bar windows vista service pack 2, apply changes and run the game.
pasapeb1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:00 PM   #9
stevethepocket

Bloody hell. It worked! The compatibility mode thing. Now I can play it with the sound on again! AMAZING.
stevethepocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:52 AM   #10
Silvernis

Simply enabling that stereo mix thing seems to have fixed the problem for me. Game's been running fine so far.
Silvernis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:21 PM   #11
stevethepocket

Yeah, but if you're using the default audio drivers that came with Windows, there's no way to enable it. You have to have the manufacturer's own driver app running, which in my case kills the separate-volume-controls-for-headphones-vs-speakers feature that I love so much.
stevethepocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:09 PM   #12
.Felix

It worked fine. Thanks :3
.Felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:28 PM   #13
bostonsox5

Awesome

Great advice. Worked for me!
bostonsox5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:51 AM   #14
Buttpuppet

Bioshock not working

Ok so i installed bioshock which i got the other day, my computer runs on vista and seems to be working just fine it opens and runs fine until you start a new game it goes on to the loading screen and that when it crashes, i have the recommended system requirements for it i tried uninstalling it and re installing it a couple of times. Is there any way to resolve this?
Buttpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:45 PM   #15
ModernMarvels

Bioshock windows 7 Freezes when loading to Neptunes Bounty

I played from the beginning of the game to the end of the medical pavillion is ok. As soon as I enter the bathysphere to go to Neptunes Bounty it freezes. Ctrl + alt + delete and I get the bioshcok.exe has stopped working message. I have visited many forums and have reinstalled the game. Not sure what to do now???
ModernMarvels is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > BioShock 1 & 2