Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Mass Effect series

Old 02-02-2010, 08:35 PM   #1
Lavans

Guide to modding Mass Effect 2

Please backup your Coalesced.ini file before doing any editing as this is a critical file to allowing your game to load properly.

First, what we will need are three simple tools.

Notepad++
ME2 Ini Fixer
Unreal Model Viewer

First, what we're going to need to do is open Coalesced.ini in your MassEffect2\BioGame\Config\PC\Cooked folder with Notepad++

Next, we need to decide what we want to do.

Changing Weapon Stats

Weapon modifiers start at line 7043. From here, we can simply change the default values such as Damage= and RateOfFire= freely. Make sure the X= and Y= values remain the same.

Adding apparel and armor
( Don't let the size of this section intimidate you. Adding apparel is super easy. )

Armor and outfits start at line 4079. For this, we're going to need Unreal Model Viewer to view the articles we want to add or change.

Go to MassEffect2\BioGame\CookedPC

Once we're there, click and drag .pcc files to the model viewer to view the content. Use page up and page down to cycle through each individual objects. The .pcc files we're most interested in for now are as follows

BIOG_HMM_ARM_SHP_R
BIOG_HMM_ARM_MED_R
BIOG_HMM_ARM_HVY_R
BIOG_HMM_ARM_CTH_R
BIOG_HMF_ARM_SHP_R
BIOG_HMF_ARM_MED_R
BIOG_HMF_ARM_HVY_R
BIOG_HMF_ARM_CTH_R

Since my character is a femShep, I'll be using the HMF_ ( Human Female ) files as an example.

( Note: It's possible to give femShep some maleShep apparel and vice versa, which could lead to some potential humorous situations. Screenshot Screenshot )

Once you find the outfit you like, go to line 4082 and press Ctrl+D to duplicate the line. If you want to add an outfit for maleShep, delete every bit of code starting with ,Female and ending at the next ). If you want to add an outfit for femShep, delete every bit of code before ,Female and ending at the ( just before "Male=".

From here, you'll see a line of code that says something like "BIOG_HMF_ARM_CTH_R.CTHe.HMF_ARM_CTHe_MDL"
What this means is package.flag.material
Our package is the .pcc filename we saw that super awesome outfit in using the model viewer. The flag is the line of code just prior to the _MDL or _MAT, so in this case, it's CTHe. The material is the mesh and texture.

http://f.imagehost.org/0127/umodel_2...9-34-09-87.jpg

This is the outfit I chose.
http://f.imagehost.org/0490/umodel_2...9-40-48-32.jpg
( Note: The colors you see in the model viewer may not necessarily be the colors presented in game. )

So, all we need to do is replace the line "BIOG_HMF_ARM_CTH_R.CTHe.HMF_ARM_CTHe_MDL" with "BIOG_HMF_ARM_MED_R.MEDc.HMF_ARM_MEDc_MDL" and then change the FemaleMaterialOverride= from "BIOG_HMF_ARM_CTH_R.CTHh.HMF_ARM_CTHh_MAT_3a" to "BIOG_HMF_ARM_MED_R.MEDc.HMF_ARM_MEDc_MAT_1a".

If we wish to keep this as a casual outfit, make sure the beginning of the code starts with CasualAppearances=
If you wish to change this to an Armor type you can wear on missions, change CasualAppearances= to FullBodyAppearances=. Also be sure to add ,GameEffects=("SFXGame.SFXGameEffect_Gear_PowerBel t") after the MAT_xx") line, prior ,PlotFlag=-1

( Note: There is no space between l and t in ,GameEffects=("SFXGame.SFXGameEffect_Gear_PowerBel t"). I don't understand why there's a space since there's none when I try to edit the post )

http://f.imagehost.org/view/0879/Mas...02_19-52-19-01
http://i.imagehost.org/view/0289/Mas...02_19-59-03-16

If you have an outfit that's being overridden in game, then make sure you change the Id=# since this may be the culprit.

Changing loadouts

Here we will change the weapon loadouts of different classes.

Go to line 4005. Every following line that has a WeaponClasses=( line can be changed. To add a loadout, simply add ,LoadoutWeapons_XXXX in between the brackets. Replace the XXXX with a weapon type, such as AutoPistols or HeavyPistols

Changing the level cap

Go to line 4239 and change the MaxPlayerLevel= value to a desired value. Then change the MaxPlayerExperience= value to a desired value as well.

Recompiling the Coalesced.ini

If you don't do this, your game will not load. Simply run ME2IniFixer in the same directory as your Coalesced.ini and it will patch it so any changes you made with Notepad++ will not crash the game upon load.

Not tested or does not work

Adding/Changing abilities - Not tested
Adding Weapons - Not tested
Adding NPC armor/clothing to apparel - Not working

In regards to adding NPC armor and clothing, it seems that the .pcc file that contains the NPC articles do not have the flags necessary for ME2 to understand that you want to wear what the NPCs wear. Until we find a way to pack and unpack .pcc files, it might not be possible to add NPC apparel at all. This really sucks for those of us who want to see femShep in an exotic dancer outfit like the ones seen in Omega :nerd:

On a side note, I believe it may be possible to add mods without having to edit the Coalesced.ini file by way of plugging them in your DLC/CookedPC folder. Though the same issue is presented as adding NPC apparel that without the ability to pack and unpack .pcc files, it may be difficult if not impossible to mod using this method.

Contributions are more than welcome! We need to find a way to unpack those .pcc files!

Related threads
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=314690
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/to...index/889432/1

Last edited by Lavans: 02-05-2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:48 PM   #2
Raging Hamster

so this will let me up my weapons strength so I can finally get past the Collector Ship level?
Raging Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:04 PM   #3
DTKT

Could I, let's say, make my character use the same armor as the Eclipse and Blue suns mercenaries?
DTKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:09 PM   #4
Lavans

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTKT View Post
Could I, let's say, make my character use the same armor as the Eclipse and Blue suns mercenaries?
Sadly not. NPC armors aren't flagged for player use. We will probably need to find a way to unpack the .pcc files before we can flag them.
Lavans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:27 PM   #5
DTKT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavans View Post
Sadly not. NPC armors aren't flagged for player use. We will probably need to find a way to unpack the .pcc files before we can flag them.
Awww, such a shame. I hate to see awesome models that only NPCs can use. I apologize for my question, you had already answered it at the end. +me for just scanning through the text...

+rep for an awesome thread.

Last edited by DTKT: 02-02-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:32 PM   #6
shadowdragon970

The most important question: Can we get the male Shepard model for use on the female version of Shepard?

An inquiring public wants to know!
shadowdragon970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:44 PM   #7
MyLittleBirdy

Are the pre-order armour models contained on the install but locked or do they actually download? Just asking because when I downloaded Zaeed it was only like 30MB but there's no way that was all his dialogue, decals and animations so it must have already been there.

Anyway, could you use this to unlock the exclusive armour and items?
MyLittleBirdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:53 PM   #8
Lavans

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleBirdy View Post
Are the pre-order armour models contained on the install but locked or do they actually download? Just asking because when I downloaded Zaeed it was only like 30MB but there's no way that was all his dialogue, decals and animations so it must have already been there.

Anyway, could you use this to unlock the exclusive armour and items?
No, they're part of a separate DLC package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowdragon970 View Post
The most important question: Can we get the male Shepard model for use on the female version of Shepard?

An inquiring public wants to know!
Yep!

Quote:
( Note: It's possible to give femShep some maleShep apparel and vice versa, which could lead to some potential humorous situations. Screenshot Screenshot )
Old 02-02-2010, 09:55 PM   #9
MyLittleBirdy

Hahaha those are amazing.
MyLittleBirdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:05 PM   #10
vashts1985

Quote:
Adding Weapons - Not tested
i assume this means you have not tested/found a way to give the player a weapon, like as in give your character the widow?
vashts1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:07 PM   #11
Lavans

Quote:
Originally Posted by vashts1985 View Post
i assume this means you have not tested/found a way to give the player a weapon, like as in give your character the widow?
No, I mean like adding in whole new weapons using recycled vanilla meshes and textures.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:17 PM   #12
DTKT

Quote:
No, I mean like adding in whole new weapons using recycled vanilla meshes and textures.
What about models from the first one?
Old 02-02-2010, 10:20 PM   #13
Lavans

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTKT View Post
What about models from the first one?
I doubt they would work unless they were already packaged in ME2. First problem is that ME1 uses a different file format. Second problem is that ME1 uses different weapon animations than ME2, so the rigging would most likely be off.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:28 PM   #14
Arcus2658

Excellent job with this. Keep up the good work.

P.S. The file import bonuses you get can be modded too, line 5070 down. So if you load an ME1 character you could have the ME2 character start with a million credits or whatever.
Arcus2658 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:49 PM   #15
Emox

Could pre order armors, inferno,blood dragon etc helmets be removed via mod?.
Emox is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Mass Effect series