Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 02-04-2010, 12:45 AM   #1
moby1603

Is 2GB RAM good enough for gaming?

I've looked online at so-called "gaming" computers and they all seem to have 8-9GB of RAM... That seems excessive. I'm not looking to have the latest and greatest graphics card to play everything maxed out. But I do want to play L4D2 with maxed settings. I'm going to be updating my graphics card to a Geforce 9600 GSO. Is the 2GB okay with that as well? I'm not very computer savvy, so any tips and info or links would be awesome.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:03 AM   #2
StarShadow

Just check out the system requirements for any given game's requirements.

The vast majority of today's titles will run quite well on 2 gigs RAM. However, a few games have already creeped up on the 3-to-4 gig level. Nowadays, 2 gigs of RAM is considered too minimal for brand new machines. Even laptops are often found with 4 gigs of RAM, or more. If at all possible, you really should boost yours to at least 3 gigs. Yet 8 or 9 is simply wasteful, for any software currently available on the gaming scene.
StarShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:05 AM   #3
thePyro_13

2GB should be fine. I'm using 2GB and can play most games fine on max settings. Though I am thinking of getting another gig soon.

You could future proof and get 4. Will save you from having to upgrade later down the line. But you will get away with having only 2GB.

TBH, 6 is probably overkill. I have no idea how much crap you would have to have running simultaneously on your computer to even approach that. 8-9GB is just computer companies trying to trick you into wasting money. don't.

Keep in mind don't bother going above 3 unless you have a 64 bit CPU and operating system. x86 can only run 3.xGB. I don't know what the limit is for x64.

Last edited by thePyro_13: 02-04-2010 at 01:09 AM.
thePyro_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:14 AM   #4
aspex89

Banned
RAM also depends on what OS you're running. They have different limitations.
aspex89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:15 AM   #5
Adradis

If your bumping up to Win7, pick up the 64 bit and throw at least 3 GB's of ram in, probably 4. Win7 likes a lot of ram itself, and you will feel the pain compared to XP if you don't have a lot.
Adradis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:27 AM   #6
Timefliesbye

Banned
Basically gaming is slowly moving to 64 bit processing. This needs at least 4 GB to work effectively. Anything below 4 GB of RAM is not worth upgrading to 64 bit OS for.

6 GB is what you need to master most monsters of games like Empire Total War on Ultra with 40000 men on screen or Crysis (the game is still unbreakable for most gamers).

Anything above 6GB is luxury and really just wasted unless you upgrade to Dual Sli video cards or a really powerful one.
Timefliesbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:37 AM   #7
ester25

2GB for L4D2 is plenty. Without knowing the rest of your specs (CPU, OS...) we can't recommend anything else
ester25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:54 AM   #8
freibooter

2GB is more than enough for most current games, incl. all of Valve's games.
A couple of games do significantly benefit from more than 2GB of RAM, though, mostly open world games like GTA IV or strategy games like the newest Total War games.
64bit gaming is currently basically non-existent and I have no idea what "Timefliesbye" means by slowly moving to ... there currently is basically no benefit from producing a 64bit version of a game and basically nobody does (unless you are really into Chess and want the latest and greatest version of Shredder). That won't be like that forever, but it will remain like this in the foreseeable future.
That said, if you are assembling a new PC for gaming you might as well go for 4GB - it's not really that much more expensive and it does pay off.
freibooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:01 AM   #9
Timefliesbye

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by freibooter View Post
64bit gaming is currently basically non-existent and I have no idea what "Timefliesbye" means by slowly moving to ... there currently is basically no benefit from producing a 64bit version of a game and basically nobody does (unless you are really into Chess and want the latest and greatest version of Shredder).
Well if you have anything over 4GB you need to upgrade to 64 bit else your just wasting it because 32 bit can process at max 3.5 GB of RAM. Whereas running a 64 bit system your limit is 128 GB of RAM (You would need to house your PC in a barn and invest a fortune but still it is possible).

Gaming is indeed slowly moving towards 64 bit. The benefits of 64 bit is faster processing though developers are not yet tacking advantage of this.

Now the only benefit of 64 bit is the ability to use 4GB ram and more to it's fullest. So basically gaming has ALREADY moved into the 64 bit era with games demanding more and more RAM yet stubbornly on a slower and more wasteful 32bit system. Give it a year or 2 and developers will come to 64 bit gaming.

Read up before you comment it saves you time.

Last edited by Timefliesbye: 02-04-2010 at 02:05 AM.
Timefliesbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:06 AM   #10
mouton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timefliesbye View Post
Give it a year or 2 and developers will come to 64 bit gaming.
I heard it 2 years ago too
mouton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:51 AM   #11
xayu

If you look at what your systems doing when you run a game it doesnt really ever go above 2GB, the only time I ever went above 2GB was when, Sins of a Solar Empire crashed on me. In fact the most memory demanding game ive ever seen is Cafe World for facebook which jacks my system to the max for no adequate reason. I have 4Gb in th system but I am restricted by 32bit OS to 2.8GB but so far its not stopped me maxing anything out apart from Crysis but that had some quite intense tweaks to it. But I think for the moment 32bit gaming is still the mainstream but as mroe and more people are going to x64 versions fo windows allowing more ram usage and drivers are finally being sorted out for 64x system unlike when Windwos Vista x64 first came out the problems that caused I think game devs will soon be switching to x64 architypes and using more ram to fuel the games. At the moment though 4GB of RAM and you can read this in a lot of magazine its primarily for rendering so photoshop users, game designers, etc and it used to be like that a few years ago when people were asking 1gb or 2gb.
xayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:55 AM   #12
_r3coil_

how much are you paying for a 9600 gso? they ar enowher neer a good gpu and if your paying alot for it maybe another direction would be the way to go?
_r3coil_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:04 AM   #13
General Frags

2GB is about average, until 64 bit OS's become mainstream developers won't go over it, although they may use it to justify higher settings and framerates ingame though.
General Frags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:12 AM   #14
xayu

Quote:
Originally Posted by _r3coil_ View Post
how much are you paying for a 9600 gso? they ar enowher neer a good gpu and if your paying alot for it maybe another direction would be the way to go?
9 series cards are beign phased out now best going with something in the Nvidia 2xx series a few games have recently jacked up the demandiness of their games in respect of GPUs
xayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:15 AM   #15
Washell

32 bit system: 2GB, fine.
64 bit system: 4GB, fine.

Reason for 6GB: triple channel DDR, needs 3 physical sticks of memory which gives you either 3GB (3x1GB) or 6GB (3x2GB). 3GB triplechannel would be fine on 32 bit OS, but price difference is small enough to go for 6GB.

The only reason to go above 2GB/4GB is if you do a lot of photoshop/videoediting, run multiple (mmo)games at the same time or run a lot of memory hungry background processes while gaming (Desktop tools/crap/beautification/music/etc).

Anyone who claims you need more seriously needs to turn on a memorylogger while they're gaming and do some reality checking instead of spouting the party line.

As for 64 bit gaming, none of the current nor next-gen engines under development are 64 bit, so we got ~5 more years to go at least.

Last edited by Washell: 02-04-2010 at 03:18 AM.
Washell is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips