Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Half-Life 2: Episode Two

Old 02-10-2010, 01:15 PM   #1
CortTy

Red face EXTREMELY Irritating Glitch

Every time I start up the game, it works until it loads the main menu. Then just when it's about to be done loading, the screen turns black. Then a window pops up saying that hl2.exe has stopped working. I tried forcing a DirectX level, verifying game cache AND defragmenting the files. Nothing has worked! Can anyone help me!?
Old 02-10-2010, 03:39 PM   #2
gorpie

What are your system specs?
gorpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:12 PM   #3
Dynamonic

Are you running a 64bit OS?

If so, right-click the game in the 'My Games' window on Steam.

Click 'Properties.'

Click 'Set launch options.'

Type in '-32bit' in the box that appears then 'ok' it.

Try again.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:49 PM   #4
TheDude7053

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamonic View Post
Are you running a 64bit OS?

If so, right-click the game in the 'My Games' window on Steam.

Click 'Properties.'

Click 'Set launch options.'

Type in '-32bit' in the box that appears then 'ok' it.

Try again.
Well first of all there 2 things wrong with procedure now

1. there was never a 64-bit Orange Box Engine
2. the orignal Half Life2 64-bit engine was removed due to it being buggy.

so in conclusion the -32 bit option wont work

Now to respond to the OP's post

if your system has an integrated Intel graphics chip pleas refer to the support article about intel integrated graphics and hl2/ob engines if you don't ] have intel graphics then please post your full system specs
TheDude7053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:19 PM   #5
CortTy

I use an Intel G33 Express Chipset Family on my computer with Windows Vista 32bit. However, I am soon going to update my system with Windows 7, will I still have the same problem on that OS?

Last edited by CortTy: 02-12-2010 at 12:28 PM. Reason: I have 32bit, not 64bit.
CortTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:40 PM   #6
Zekiran

You will likely have a new set of different problems
Zekiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:08 PM   #7
CortTy

I figured, why is it that all the Windows systems have to have at least 1000 drawbacks?
Old 02-12-2010, 01:19 PM   #8
gorpie

Here's the Support article for your video card (maybe).

Here's the Support article for the error message.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:25 PM   #9
spyrochaete

Quote:
Originally Posted by CortTy View Post
I figured, why is it that all the Windows systems have to have at least 1000 drawbacks?
You get out of it whatever you put into it.

Sorry to say but you're using a bargain basement gaming PC so you are going to have your fair share of problems getting anything remotely modern (like this 5 year old game) to work at all. NVidia and ATI have begged Intel to stop making onboard video chips because they are sullying the name of PC gaming.

I highly recommend you spend as little as $50 on a video card. For the price of one game you will save yourself enormous headaches and will really be able to enjoy your experience. Of course, if you spend more your experience will be even better and it will be that much longer until you need to upgrade again.

If I might make a recommendation - if it's not too late you should spend your money on this hardware upgrade instead of on Windows 7. I adore Win7 but Vista is a very good OS as well and will be perfectly sufficient for gaming for many years to come.
spyrochaete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:29 PM   #10
CortTy

Thank you gorpie, but the launch option does not work, and I can't open the console because the error comes up before I get a chance...
Old 02-12-2010, 01:33 PM   #11
CortTy

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyrochaete View Post
You get out of it whatever you put into it.

Sorry to say but you're using a bargain basement gaming PC so you are going to have your fair share of problems getting anything remotely modern (like this 5 year old game) to work at all. NVidia and ATI have begged Intel to stop making onboard video chips because they are sullying the name of PC gaming.

I highly recommend you spend as little as $50 on a video card. For the price of one game you will save yourself enormous headaches and will really be able to enjoy your experience. Of course, if you spend more your experience will be even better and it will be that much longer until you need to upgrade again.

If I might make a recommendation - if it's not too late you should spend your money on this hardware upgrade instead of on Windows 7. I adore Win7 but Vista is a very good OS as well and will be perfectly sufficient for gaming for many years to come.
No, it's not too late. I am only considering Win7, and I havent fully decided. But, that is a very good idea. I want a good display chip, most likely an NVidea one. And, yes, I know I have a very bad gaming-wise chip. After all, it was my mom that went this design (ugh...). Thank you!
Old 02-12-2010, 01:33 PM   #12
gorpie

You set launch options in your Steam games list. Right click on the game and select Properties. You should see the selection right then.

---
If you do choose to buy a video card (even if you have a PCI bus), buy something with 256M or 512M of video RAM... My Geforce only has 128M and it's annoying... (Can't play a few games because of it, even though my other requirements would be fine.)
Old 02-12-2010, 01:35 PM   #13
CortTy

That is what I tried. I copied the command into the launch options box, and it still shut itself down...
And thank you for the tip!
Old 02-12-2010, 01:41 PM   #14
CortTy

Also, if I do go and get a new video card, since my Intel is onboard...How would I install it? I realize this may sound a little bit of a noobish question, though...
Old 02-12-2010, 02:02 PM   #15
CortTy

Talking

Thank you all SO much for the help, tips, and thoughts. But I finally found a way to run the game. I have to run Steam as admin. Also, I had to update DirectX (again), and set the game to start in DX9.5. Thanks all!

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Half-Life 2: Episode Two