Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Aliens vs Predator

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2010, 11:34 AM   #1
ballz-xxx
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
Forum full of Hammer Legion Members?

Why does everyone on this forum jump down everyone's throat when they say the demo is bad?

The demo IS bad. It's awful, the controllers are clunky, the graphics suck, the gameplay is buggy (I.E. not killing someone performing a TK), the weapons are lackluster, there is auto aiming on a PC game for christ sake, and it just doesn't feel anywhere near as smooth or fun as the original AVP.

I hope you all know that, or understand that old school PC gamers will think this demo is a joke.

What I dont understand is where you all get this false information that the finished product will be amazing. There is 0 evidence of this. Granted it will have DX11, but that wont change the animations, just the shading and detailing. There is no talk of a crouch key outside rumor (but all you die hard airconditioned youths think that a crouch key is overated.. or something? your argument here is beyond me). And how the hell do we know that the alien controllers are going to get any beter? They're horrible at the moment, pouncing is underwhelming, trying to jump off a wall onto a marine is nigh impossible and you end up on all sorts of surfaces you dont want even when you turn auto transition off.


This demo is terrible, I assume the finished product for multiplayer is also terrible.

You all denounce and defame game informer for giving what I believe to be an honest review and veil your doubts with hope and expectations that this game will be amazing.

I just want you to all know that you will be disappointed... along with me.. because I preordered the game before playing the demo..

fml..
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:38 AM   #2
Redsin
 
Banned
Join Date: Jan 2010
Reputation: 23
Posts: 277
I think you need to be introduced to a new word

apparently they call it...

opinion
Redsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:39 AM   #3
Gilgamar
 
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Reputation: 60
Posts: 1,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballz-xxx View Post
You all denounce and defame game informer for giving what I believe to be an honest review and veil your doubts with hope and expectations that this game will be amazing.
I lol'd.
Did you actually read the review from GameInformer? He didn't like the motion tracker beeping, he didn't like that the Predator relies on stealth.
Just by those two points you can clearly see that the reviewer has no idea about the franchise. Is it the same with you?
And that review didn't even mention the multiplayer, only thing mentioned is Deathmatch, but no details were given about anything multiplayer related.

And you know that other reviews so far were pretty good, right?
Gilgamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:39 AM   #4
X_Minion_X
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Reputation: 4
Posts: 187
Cool, because I've always listen to the opinions of others when it comes to spending my money, tell me oh master what size house should i get next?
X_Minion_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:45 AM   #5
Shuck
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Reputation: 0
Posts: 137
Opinion noted. You know what they say happens when you assume. You make an out of you, and I don't have to worry about your whining in-game any more. On a similar note: obvious troll is obvious

Last edited by Shuck: 02-12-2010 at 12:13 PM.
Shuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:45 AM   #6
DarkBridge
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Reputation: 10
Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsin View Post
I think you need to be introduced to a new word

apparently they call it...

opinion
If you actually like this the way it is now, you need to see what decent quality games are actually like.
DarkBridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:47 AM   #7
Redsin
 
Banned
Join Date: Jan 2010
Reputation: 23
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkBridge View Post
If you actually like this the way it is now, you need to see what decent quality games are actually like.
go on, name some for me

say MW2 and I won't even bother to open this thread again
Redsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:48 AM   #8
NorthStar462
 
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Reputation: 47
Posts: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballz-xxx View Post
the gameplay is buggy (I.E. not killing someone performing a TK)
That's not a bug, chummer. If you have enough health you can "block" a TK and defend against it.
NorthStar462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:51 AM   #9
Ravenbar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Reputation: 4
Posts: 213
Set "maximum pre-rendered frames" to 0.

Do it.
Ravenbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:51 AM   #10
Psycopompus
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Reputation: 1
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballz-xxx View Post
Why does everyone on this forum jump down everyone's throat when they say the demo is good?

The demo IS good. It's awesome, the controllers are superb, the graphics amazing, the gameplay is refined (I.E. killing someone performing a TK), the weapons are brilliant, there is melee auto aiming, which is good because you wouldn't hit with sprinting aliens, and it just feels smoother and more fun than the original AVP.

I hope you all know that, or understand that old school PC gamers will and whine that this game isn't as unbalanced as the original.

What I dont understand is where you all get this false information that the finished product will be ty. There is 0 evidence of this. It will have DX11. There is no talk of a crouch key outside rumor (but a crouch key is overated). And how the hell do we know that the alien controllers are going to get any worse? They're fluid at the moment, pouncing works as intended, trying to jump off a wall onto a marine is possible.

This demo is mind blowing, I assume the finished product for multiplayer will rock my world.

You all denounce and defame game informer for giving what I believe to be a whiny, biased review. This game will be amazing.

I just want you to all know that you will be ecstatic... along with me.. because I preordered the game before playing the demo..
See what I did there?

On a non-troll note, this is not a god damn counter-strike or other fast paced shooter. You answered your own comment about crouching when you said auto-aim, because pretty much everything in this game has some kind of auto-aim, except for Marine weapons when using a mouse and keyboard (console controllers have this enabled).
Psycopompus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:56 AM   #11
mltdwn
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballz-xxx View Post
Why does everyone on this forum jump down everyone's throat when they say the demo is bad?

The demo IS bad. It's awful, the controllers are clunky, the graphics suck, the gameplay is buggy (I.E. not killing someone performing a TK), the weapons are lackluster, there is auto aiming on a PC game for christ sake, and it just doesn't feel anywhere near as smooth or fun as the original AVP.

I hope you all know that, or understand that old school PC gamers will think this demo is a joke.

What I dont understand is where you all get this false information that the finished product will be amazing. There is 0 evidence of this. Granted it will have DX11, but that wont change the animations, just the shading and detailing. There is no talk of a crouch key outside rumor (but all you die hard airconditioned youths think that a crouch key is overated.. or something? your argument here is beyond me). And how the hell do we know that the alien controllers are going to get any beter? They're horrible at the moment, pouncing is underwhelming, trying to jump off a wall onto a marine is nigh impossible and you end up on all sorts of surfaces you dont want even when you turn auto transition off.


This demo is terrible, I assume the finished product for multiplayer is also terrible.

You all denounce and defame game informer for giving what I believe to be an honest review and veil your doubts with hope and expectations that this game will be amazing.

I just want you to all know that you will be disappointed... along with me.. because I preordered the game before playing the demo..

fml..
Slight difference between what you said and what Gameinformer said, let's compare:

You:
1. No crouch key which is stupid (agreed)

2. Alien controls suck (with specifics mentioned why), I don't agree and have no problems with them, coming in the top 3 is not at the top nearly every game as them.

3. No killing someone with a TK, that is the way it is supposed to be. If the individual you are doing a Trophy Kill on has a certain amount of health left, and blocks fast enough they can break out of it. It's not a bug it's the design.

4. Auto-aiming - Only exists for the hand to hand melee system otherwise instead of two people going head to head with one another and blocking and jabbing, it would instead be two individuals running back and forth jousting with each other trying to land their hits. Not exactly hand to hand combat that.

Regardless all are valid complaints.

Now for GameInformer's complaints:

1. Walking on the walls as an Alien is disorientating (it was in all the games, can't really change that)

2. Predator campaign requires using stealth (again, kind of the basis of Preds)

3. Marine campaign is all about fighting Aliens (um that is kind of the point, what would you rather it be about, them fighting other marines?)

4. They don't like the motion sensor pinging as they feel it removes the fear (have to wonder if they saw Aliens)

5. The marine campaign feels like a Survival Horror (which is kind of what Aliens is all about)

6. The game feel derivative. Any game based on an existing franchise is going to be/feel derivative. WW-II games all feel derivative with the only difference being possible game modes in MP, and after BF:1942 added conquest pretty much every game has some semblence of it now.

Basically the things they complain about is the things which are required for the game to be made. Aliens must be able to climb all over the place, and that is going to be disorientating for those not used to it. Preds must be stealth based. Marines must feel like survival horror. To not do those things removes it from the realm of AvP and the franchises it is based on.

Your critique however actually had valid complaints. That is why GI gets bashed to heck and back for its review. Not because it gave it a bad score, but rather because they gave no real or substantial reasons for such a score.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:58 AM   #12
Mouseraider
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Reputation: 49
Posts: 902
As mentionend in other threads, the demo was granted because people wanted to see something besides the videos.

The demo is also here to show if your pc can even run the lowest graphic settings.

Go and do some research on DX11 and you might end up understanding what the hype is all about.
Mouseraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:00 PM   #13
sylian
 
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Reputation: 3
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkBridge View Post
If you actually like this the way it is now, you need to see what decent quality games are actually like.
Yeah go on OP tell us which games you like?
sylian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:03 PM   #14
Hal Oswin
 
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Reputation: 20
Posts: 390
Another thread about a OP being raged by being last on the scoreboard? Cool, also l2play, demos good.
Hal Oswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:03 PM   #15
Wolfrip_Sixshot
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Reputation: 428
Posts: 2,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballz-xxx View Post

1.Why does everyone on this forum jump down everyone's throat when they say the demo is bad?

2. The demo IS bad. It just doesn't feel anywhere near as smooth or fun as the original AVP.

3. I hope you all know that, or understand that old school PC gamers will think this demo is a joke.

4. What I dont understand is where you all get this false information that the finished product will be amazing. There is n0 evidence of this.

5. Granted it will have DX11, but that wont change the animations, just the shading and detailing.

6. There is no talk of a crouch key outside rumor (but all you die hard airconditioned youths think that a crouch key is overated.. or something? your argument here is beyond me).

7.And how the hell do we know that the alien controllers are going to get any beter? They're horrible at the moment, pouncing is underwhelming, trying to jump off a wall onto a marine is nigh impossible and you end up on all sorts of surfaces you dont want even when you turn auto transition off.

8. This demo is terrible, I assume the finished product for multiplayer is also terrible.

9. You all denounce and defame game informer for giving what I believe to be an honest review
1. Most of the posts saying the game is bad consist of "This game sucks because other classes are OP and i died all the time in the 10 mins i tried the game before coming to the forum"

2. I bought the original AVP and AVP2 when they were first released. AVP 2010 far exceeds their graphics and animations.

3. I started gaming back in the days of the zx spectrum. Playing the first doom for pc when released and loving it . AVP 2010 reminds me of why i loved the oldschool games as gameplay balance and differculty were of importance. (unlike now)

4. Dedicated servers have been confirmed. 7 Muitiplay modes also confirmed. Videos all of the net with better graphics then the demos. How is that for evidence?

5. Animations might seem bad to you due to you having CRAP fps. Maybe you need to change your game settings?

6. Crouch is for games that are slower paced. Crouch won't help you against a Alien or Predator and the speed they travel at. It is not needed as this is NOT a COD style war game with bunkers etc

7. The Alien controls when wallwalking i agree are differcult. It's one point i agree on and i hope Rebellion gives us a patch to help control Alien wall walking. Pouncing from walls onto marines though is simple. HOLD FOCUS key while aiming at the Marine +Jump.

8. The demo is based on Deathmatch. By far the worst muiltiplayer mode there is. You don't get many FPS gamers touching deathmatch. If they had picked another mode i dare say you and others woulden't be on the forum saying the games going to bad.

9. If you agree with that Hack Ben reeves from gameinformer then your just a troll. His review was blantly bias and the things he said made AVP 2010 bad (motion sensor, predator cloak, wallwalking, lots of aliens) were what made the previous games "Game of the Year twise in a row".

AVP was built on this gameplay. It's what won them awards. Yet ben feels thats what makes a bad game. Maybe that HACK should of done his research?
.

Any reply ballz-xxx

Last edited by Wolfrip_Sixshot: 02-12-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Wolfrip_Sixshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Aliens vs Predator


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2014, All Rights Reserved.