Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Fallout series

Old 02-12-2010, 03:40 PM   #1
pez0

Banned
Post Fallout Collection: High-res HOWTO

I'm putting this together to help other Steam users who might be trying to apply the high-resolution patches by Mash. The steam version isn't compatible with his patches, so you have to do some work beforehand. It took me awhile to figure this all out, and I wish there was a tutorial when I started...

If you don't know what I'm talking about, you can play the three original Fallout games in any resolution you want - that means seeing the entire area at once instead of getting a headache trapped in a 20 tile box.

Screenshots:
http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.p...sjcfts&thumb=6
http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.p...dyn0eg&thumb=6
http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/4...per2168001.jpg

Fallout 1
You can get the high-res patch here. Unfortunately, it doesn't recognize the Steam version of the game, so you need to first download TeamX's 1.2 unofficial patch. Extract the files into your C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\fallout folder, overwriting whatever is there. Now extract the high-resolution patch. It's just a 7-zip self extracting archive. Run it and have it put the patch files in your fallout folder (steamapps\common\fallout). Now run f1_res_patcher.exe, which will modify your falloutw.exe to load the high-res patch! Leave the files in your fallout folder because some of them (the dll and ini I think) are part of the patch.

To set your desired resolution, go to Options from the main menu, and select the SCRN button at the top.

Fallout 2
The Fallout 2 hi-res patch was updated again 8/17/10. The new version can be downloaded here. It should work fine.
Again, it doesn't recognize Steam's version so we have to download the patch. Get the North American version from Interplay support. Run the f2patch.exe (it's a self-extracting archive) and give it that steamapps\common\fallout 2 directory to extract into. It'll overwrite your fallout2.exe to a version that the high-res patch recognizes. So download the high-res patch, put it in your fallout 2 directory, and run f2_res_patcher.exe to give you access to resolution settings.

Fallout Tactics
This one is a pain. Grab the high-res patch here. Of course it won't work on Steam's version so download the 1.27 NA/UK patch from Interplay (16.4 MB). It's some nasty InstallShield installer that will fail because it doesn't recognize Steam's version of the game. So instead of running it, open fotpatch1.27.exe with winrar and extract the files in the archive (if you have shell extensions installed then you can right-click on fotpatch1.27.exe and select "Extract files..."). Now the data we want is in data1.cab, but it's stored in a proprietary InstallShield cab format. Download i5comp (find it elsewhere if you want, but this one was clean) and extract it into C:\Windows (or somewhere else in your PATH). Open the DOS prompt, cd to the folder where you extracted data1.cab and the other files from fotpatch1.27.exe, and run i5comp x data1.cab

It'll drop a bunch of files in that folder - these are the files that the 1.27 patch would have applied. So just drop them all (BOS.exe, FT Tools.exe, Mss32.dll, core, miles) into your steamapps\common\fallout tactics folder. Then run the high-res patcher (FOT_HiRes_Patch.exe) and if you want also run the FTTools patcher if you want to use the map editor in high-res. It'll recognize the 1.27 BOS.exe and patch it successfully. We're still not done, however! Unlike the steam version, 1.27 checks for a CD in the drive. Go ahead, try it. Unfortunately, we can't use a no-cd exe because then we lose the highres patch. So we need a binary patch to remove the CD protection (you own the game!).. go to gamecopyworld (I doubt I'm allowed to link to it) and find the fallout tactics page. You want the 1.27 English no-cd patch #2 by Red. Drop it in your fallout tactics folder and run it. Apparently the patch was made in haste and doesn't even check that you have the right exe for patching (which is exactly what we want!). A command prompt window will flash briefly, and then when you run the game it won't block you out for not having the CD in the drive. And now you can set your resolution settings.

Last edited by pez0: 09-15-2010 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Fixed broken link to old Fallout 2 patch.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:26 PM   #2
Railpatch

Very nice, thanks!
Old 02-13-2010, 07:26 PM   #3
Snixtor

Win! I haven't tried these out yet, but if they work as presented they're obviously must-haves for anybody playing the classics.
Snixtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:45 AM   #4
G. Benevolent

Just tried this with Fallout 1 & 2 and it works perfectly. Thanks muchly.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:42 PM   #5
TPS

Thumbs up

I'm not quite up to the work needed for Tactics at the moment, but I patched 1+2 and they work great! Thanks a lot!

Maybe we could get this stickied for people? This is very useful information.
TPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:11 AM   #6
Ghostbreed

Banned
eh, the photobucket links doesn't work?
Ghostbreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:57 AM   #7
n00bkiller

Would it be possible for someone to upload the files extracted from the patch for Fallout Tactics in a zip file?
n00bkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:01 PM   #8
pez0

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbreed View Post
eh, the photobucket links doesn't work?
You're right, somebody deleted the screenshots from their photobucket account. I found some different ones and linked to them instead.
pez0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:47 PM   #9
commandos345

Thank you for posting this extremely helpful information! I loved fallout 3 and I bought the fallout collection because I heard from friends that the original are even better and, from what I've seen so far, they are correct. Anyway, I ran the patches for Fallout 1 without an issue, but for Fallout 2, if you are running a 64-bit OS you will need to use winrar to extract the Interplay patch. The self-extractor wouldn't work for me, but I could extract the files with winrar and I got the same effect: game now runs beautifully! Thanks again!!!!
Old 05-04-2010, 10:42 PM   #10
Narsilion

hi!

i bought fallout 1+2 at steam.... cause i love fallout 3 :-)

now i got some resolution problems - horrible colour pixels.
i looked at some forums - and found the entry to try changing resolution of the desktop..... ok i will do so today....

here is my question:
will your way to highres work with german version also?

thanks
Narsilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 06:50 PM   #11
pez0

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narsilion View Post
hi!

i bought fallout 1+2 at steam.... cause i love fallout 3 :-)

now i got some resolution problems - horrible colour pixels.
i looked at some forums - and found the entry to try changing resolution of the desktop..... ok i will do so today....

here is my question:
will your way to highres work with german version also?

thanks
I doubt it, sorry.
pez0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:25 PM   #12
TheBomfy

I appear to be screwing something up.

Edit #3- I through some searching and fiddling lucked out.

Sorry about that.

Last edited by TheBomfy: 06-17-2010 at 09:38 PM.
TheBomfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:53 AM   #13
Urhan

I do appreciate what you have shared with us.
I've tried the patch with Fallout 1 and it works perfect, such a difference.
+ rep.
And I'd give you more if I could.
Thanks, "there should be more people like you in the world".
Urhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:08 PM   #14
Ruyo

Is there a work around for getting this to work with Windows 7 x64? I try running F2Patch and it gives me an incompatibility error.
Ruyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:35 PM   #15
DrLunatic

Thank you very much for this guide. It worked perfectly on Fallout 1. The spritework still looks good when set to the correct resolution. Hopefully this guide will help many more people enjoy this great game.
DrLunatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Fallout series