Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > X-COM series

Old 02-14-2010, 12:30 PM   #1
geggis

Unhappy XcomUtil Help

I've been trying to get the newest version of the XcomUtil working for a couple of days now and I'm having no luck. I've read plenty of forum posts and the accompanying readmes but the whole installation process is giving me quite the run around.

After tinkering with the dosbox.conf I can play the DOS version of XCOM: UFO Defense perfectly so I'm literally just wanting to get the difficulty thing sorted as well as some of the other extras that come with XcomUtil.

I think the problem lies with the SteamSetup.bat, where after double clicking it I get a black fullscreen then it goes back to Windows. So presuming it worked I then load XCOM: UFO Defence up through Steam and it just starts normally. From what I gather (after much Googling) there's supposed to be some sort of setup window pop up?

I tried just loading XcuSetup.bat and that tells me I have to load up the SteamSetup.bat first which as mentioned above doesn't seem to be doing an awful lot.

If you need any more info then I'll help where I can!

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I'm running it on XP.

Last edited by geggis: 02-14-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:31 PM   #2
Kazei

I'm assuming you've copied the Xcomutil files into the XCOM directory first right?

\Steam\steamapps\common\xcom ufo defense\XCOM
Kazei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:04 PM   #3
geggis

Yes I put the contents of the zip file into the right folder:

\Steam\steamapps\common\xcom ufo defense\XCOM

I can get the 9.6 version to work if I change UFOcd.bat in the dosbox.conf file to RunXcomW.bat but I'd like to be able to get this 9.7 version working if possible.

Also, how do I find out if the difficulty bug is fixed?

EDIT: Just used the self-extractor and that seemed to do the trick. The only thing I've noticed is that my soldiers aren't looking in all directions in the Skyranger on the first turn of a combat drop. I'm not sure whether the other 'fixes' are in effect though. I presume once I've ran the self extractor and the setup is finished (after all the prompts) it will just 'work'? I don't need to alter the dosbox.conf or rename any .exe or .bat files?

Last edited by geggis: 02-14-2010 at 03:06 PM.
geggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:13 PM   #4
BladeFireLight

I just did another update to the self extractor. the zip and it are the same other then the SFX auto runx a batch file as an administrator.

If it installed correctly you should get a menu when starting the game from steam. The only reason all the units would be facing the back door is if you start the game directly and not by using RunXcom. If you have modified dosbox.conf then SteamSetup will not work.

To start over with a clean folder and not lose your saves. Delete all the files and folder in \Steam\steamapps\common\xcom ufo defense\XCOM !!EXCEPT!! the GAME_x folders then run "verify integrity of game cache" from steam. Then download the latest build of XcomUtil (350 as of today).

Playing the game from Steam should then work. To play the windows version start RunXcom.bat directly.
BladeFireLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:21 AM   #5
geggis

Thumbs up

That explains a lot regarding the dosbox.conf because I spent a while setting that up to run perfectly before I knew about XcomUtil and copied it to each fresh install of XCOM. I'll do a clean setup tonight and hopefully there should be no problems.

Thanks ever so much for the concise reply btw, it's much appreciated. I seem to have spent more time reading up on the various fixes, versions and troubleshooting than actually playing the game!

Also, what's the difference between the RunXcomW.bat and runxcom.bat?

Last edited by geggis: 02-15-2010 at 02:25 AM.
geggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:23 AM   #6
reschke

Just found this thread on here and its a huge help. I used to use XcomUtil way back in the beginning when Scott was doing it. It was a huge and amazing thing to have if I wanted to bring back MIA and dead troops from other games and import them.

Going to download and read the FAQ on the new version to see if I can get it running on my Win7 64bit Ultimate install.
reschke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:28 AM   #7
Kazei

Quote:
Originally Posted by reschke View Post
Going to download and read the FAQ on the new version to see if I can get it running on my Win7 64bit Ultimate install.
Works for me. (Win7 Pro 64-bit)
Kazei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:49 PM   #8
reschke

Yep got it working but I can't get past about 4-5 months into the game before I step into a hornets nest of 5-6 Lobstermen who wipe out an entire 14 person experienced squad.

Plus with XcomUtil sometimes I get land maps under water and water maps on terror missions??? Whats up with that? It wasn't that way until I started using XcomUtil.
reschke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:02 PM   #9
Moongoose

Is anyone else running into trouble in the form of running XcomUtil, playing for a bit, then quitting. PLaying again later and it reverts back to its original settings? That's the issue I'm having.
Moongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:46 PM   #10
Threesixtyci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moongoose View Post
Is anyone else running into trouble in the form of running XcomUtil, playing for a bit, then quitting. PLaying again later and it reverts back to its original settings? That's the issue I'm having.
It's likely that you are starting the game with the wrong bat file. You have to start it with a bat file that the xcomutil created. I'm not familiar with the Steam version of Xcom, though.
Threesixtyci is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > X-COM series