Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 02-19-2010, 06:43 PM   #1
blanchjo

Exclamation Steam offline mode stopped working.

Just installed the steam client update for 19 feb 2010. When I try to start the steam client in offline mode I get 2 error messages "Could not connect to Steam network. This could be due to a problem with your internet connection, or with the steam network. Please visit http://www.steampowered.com for more info." and "This operation cannot be completed when Steam is in offline mode."

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Old 02-19-2010, 07:16 PM   #2
skarik

Same here. I thought it was from me installing AvP2010, but it seems instead - after testing on two other PC's - that it's definitely the new update. Restarting Steam and the PC both have no effect.

Looks like I'm going to have to stick with these untrustworthy Steam emulators until another patch amends the problem.

I'm a LAN party man, you see. Stressing the man part.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:23 PM   #3
CrimIam

I have the same problem. It's Not my firewall.
CrimIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:35 PM   #4
thebromgrev

#$@%^&(^&*(&)*&^%$%#&@#@#%

I can't play the games I've purchased, steam refuses to accept my password, and trying to retrieve my lost account doesn't work, as Steam refuses to accept my "secret answer".
Old 02-19-2010, 07:45 PM   #5
skarik

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebromgrev View Post
#$@%^&(^&*(&)*&^%$%#&@#@#%

I can't play the games I've purchased, steam refuses to accept my password, and trying to retrieve my lost account doesn't work, as Steam refuses to accept my "secret answer".
Welcome to Steam. That's what happened to me the first time I purchased Half Life 2. In fact, pretty much returned the game because I had no internet back then.

I don't think that's what this topic is about, though. I believe the OP points out the fact that only Offline Mode doesn't work with the new update, not that Steam doesn't work at all.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:05 PM   #6
thebromgrev

Well, I've never had a problem with offline mode for the past 3 years until tonight, and the only thing I can think of that caused it is the "update" I installed a few hours ago. I have had problems with online mode, when the servers crapped out, though.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:34 PM   #7
ImMrPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarik View Post
Welcome to Steam. That's what happened to me the first time I purchased Half Life 2. In fact, pretty much returned the game because I had no internet back then.

I don't think that's what this topic is about, though. I believe the OP points out the fact that only Offline Mode doesn't work with the new update, not that Steam doesn't work at all.
Actually I can't log into steam at all. I get the same errors mentioned above.....
Old 02-19-2010, 08:36 PM   #8
skarik

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImMrPete View Post
Actually I can't log into steam at all. I get the same errors mentioned above.....
That would be an unrelated problem, wouldn't it? There's a lot of reasons to get the error above.

Going into OFFLINE MODE shouldn't be one of them.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:55 PM   #9
ester25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimIam View Post
I have the same problem. It's Not my firewall.
Well, what proof do you have? Have you completely uninstalled the particular firewall?

When a program gets modified (via an update or so), firewalls can block it even though it was allows before (due to modification/update). Try and remove it from the exceptions lists and add it again.

Posting your antivirus/firewall can also help.
ester25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:57 PM   #10
skarik

How would a firewall block Steam starting in offline mode? Just an honest question.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:37 PM   #11
wteSmithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebromgrev View Post
Well, I've never had a problem with offline mode for the past 3 years until tonight, and the only thing I can think of that caused it is the "update" I installed a few hours ago. I have had problems with online mode, when the servers crapped out, though.
This is exactly what I've just found out & I know its the update as I went offline before the update, but couldn't go offline after the update. When you try to go offline, it says "Operation cannot be complete when Steam is in offline mode." -Go figure.

I await a quick fix to sort out not being able to play in offline mode, due to travelling on trains I need this sorted by Sunday PLEASE!

Screenshot of error message, which is an error since my connection is 100%, otherwise I couldn't post here!
http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/7...modebroken.png

Last edited by wteSmithy: 02-19-2010 at 09:59 PM.
wteSmithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:43 PM   #12
Justin MacDuro

Same problem here , after the last update I can't go into offline mode ...

I have been playing those last days in offline mode with no problem , and now I can't star steam in that way ...

Last edited by Justin MacDuro: 02-19-2010 at 09:45 PM.
Justin MacDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:45 PM   #13
Teraclips

I thought it only was me with this problem, no wonder why after the update it Steam hung up a couple of times.
Teraclips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:58 PM   #14
kalirion

Same problem. Nothing changed on my computer. Windows XP SP3, 32 bit.

Edit: Hey, I figured out how to get offline mode working! You have to actually disconnect from your network before starting Steam, instead of choosing "Go Offline" when already online. Then everything works! At least in my case.

Last edited by kalirion: 02-19-2010 at 11:07 PM.
kalirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:29 PM   #15
skarik

Kalirion, that seems to work. Why that's necessary, I can't imagine.

For those that are having this problem and find Kalirion's post a tad confusion, here are the steps:

1. Log in normally to your Steam account.
2. After you've gotten everything updated, exit Steam. Exit it COMPLETELY. You don't want Steam.exe running at all.
3. Go into your network settings and disable your network.
4. Start up Steam. Now, it'll prompt you to start in offline mode. You can choose that option, and Steam will start up in offline mode without any errors.
5. Go back into your network settings and enable your network. You are now set for some serious LAN party.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips