Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Old 02-19-2010, 07:02 PM   #1
GIN777

2 things that bother me.

Not that Steam is really to blame or Valve for that matter.

But on a side-note : the commonly accepted releasing of games that are far from ready to be launched. But that is generally accepted for 2-ish years now.

Lately, the appearence of the DLC content!!!!

"Wooooooow, i can get a new archer unit that has been ready for months before the game even launched and now i get the honor of buying it for 5€!!!!! Yay me!!!!!!"

And then 4 weeks later they release a pack that involves everything for 25% of the total you spent on it.

I know, i know, i am a nag...i work for an ISP myself and they do just the same thing.
But it just annoys me that compagnies can freely do these things.
In particular im talking about the DLC fling now.
I mean.

In the old days. A game came out...it had like 5 days orso single player time (so 5x24h). Mp was limited but it was there. And you could play for like 4 months without getting truely bored.
And then, came a decent exspansion ( in most cases ) and yay...there we go again.

Now, pay 50€ get 5 h playtime, games are rarely released without big bugs that are easy to spot. Then they throw tons off DLC content at you, wich you ofc have to pay. And then comes an exspansion wich is about the size of 3 DLCs...

I know money makes the world go round n round...But this way pc is going to end up as a 2nd/3rd or worse gaming device. Consoles taking over.

Me shivers when that day arrives!!!

So to keep it on topic...suggestion...stop with DLC nonsence plz!!!

For the sake of pc gaming that is...so..it is constructive critisism...plz dont insta ban me :-)

Last edited by GIN777: 02-19-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:21 PM   #2
john490

Hi GIN777,

I dislike the idea of small dlc packs myself. Specifically, those "New unit" packs that cost €5 for a handful of units. For me these are the dlc packs for games such as Empire: Total War.

Though I don't like them, I don't have to buy them. So I wouldn't see it as a huge issue to be honest.

Some dlc, such as the support for Source games, is free. I know some people dislike the downloads and the need to continually update games/steam. I'm happy that VALVe (for example) are continuing to support their games that are years old. Get your monies worth anyway.

As for general dlc, I guess with games becoming more complex and demanding combined with the variety of hardware(p.c's) that is out there, we're going to see this as 'standard'. I loathe games that are full of bugs when they released but can tolerate small issues.

There is nothing worse than getting a game, suffering crashes and waiting months for a release! I agree!

Anyway, I like your post Gin! My idea, support and dlc is ok in my book. However, paying too much for skins, units etc...... nah, count me out.
john490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 02:29 PM   #3
Orange Juice

Empire Total War is nothin', have you seen that RailWorks game? They have like 20 DLC's that are at least $8 each.
Orange Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 02:33 PM   #4
john490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Juice View Post
Empire Total War is nothin', have you seen that RailWorks game? They have like 20 DLC's that are at least $8 each.
Actually I forgot about that! That game scares me the never ending additions that show up in the store every few weeks. Guess you'd really want to love trains
Old 02-20-2010, 04:24 PM   #5
GIN777

Quote:
Originally Posted by john490 View Post
Hi GIN777,

I dislike the idea of small dlc packs myself. Specifically, those "New unit" packs that cost €5 for a handful of units. For me these are the dlc packs for games such as Empire: Total War.

Though I don't like them, I don't have to buy them. So I wouldn't see it as a huge issue to be honest.

Some dlc, such as the support for Source games, is free. I know some people dislike the downloads and the need to continually update games/steam. I'm happy that VALVe (for example) are continuing to support their games that are years old. Get your monies worth anyway.

As for general dlc, I guess with games becoming more complex and demanding combined with the variety of hardware(p.c's) that is out there, we're going to see this as 'standard'. I loathe games that are full of bugs when they released but can tolerate small issues.

There is nothing worse than getting a game, suffering crashes and waiting months for a release! I agree!

Anyway, I like your post Gin! My idea, support and dlc is ok in my book. However, paying too much for skins, units etc...... nah, count me out.

Yeah,

the reason i started this was because of the E-TW DLC and AvP Skinn extra costs...

I mean...
It's like going to a fancy restaurant...ordering a gigantic feast...and having to pay extra for napkins or something.

I dont want to blame Valve. All my games are on Steam.
But it seems they ( compagnies ) are starting to make a habbit of it and...imo...its taking advantage of people who fully want to enjoy a game.

Call me tard but when i got the NY squad for E-TW...i really just like the ideaand concept behind it.
But in fact it is just a designer who has to alter some already exsisting programming to make this unit to be created.
And then make people charge extra for it?

Nope...im a sucker for these things...i usually cant resist...but i think its a little unfair.

But...like i said...money makes it all spinn!
GIN777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:39 PM   #6
Crusader

Banned
I agree. I'd prefer it if the days of Expansions being the the main way of adding content to a game, excluding maybe one or two new units in a major patch or something. The whole "new expansion for said game coming out next week, there's an entire new race to play as in it and half a dozen new units each for everyone! oh and it only costs $20-40" was how I liked it tbh.

Now you've got massive companies releasing utterly useless DLC for $5+ and never even bothering with expansions. Oh and don't get me started on DLC with entire MAPS in them, "oh my online server is changing to a DLC only map.. *kicked* sigh".

Look at Fallout3 for example, all the crap they added to that would have been so much easier to just chuck into an expansion.

Also DLC usually REQUIRES internet access and usually a high quota, which too many people still don't have nowa-days, where as expansions you can just buy in a store and install off CD/DVD/Blu-ray(?), which most gamers IMO would prefer.

Hell, Sins of a Solar empire is doing it alright, they released what they called "Micro-expansions", only around $10 a pop. First one added major additions with the entry of massive Starbases for defense, including a new unit for each race as well as numerous technical fixes. The second added an entire new way to play, a new way to win and yet again, another unit for every race as well as new and improved technologies. Both of these "micro-expansions" are $10 each, isn't that better than the typical DLC we're seeing these days?
IMO, either that^ or those larger, full expansions gamers from pre-2000 to 2007'ish are used to.

DLC was born on consoles(iirc), it should stay there. PC gamers want their expansions back.

Also these additions with DLC, are suppose to be ACTUAL additions, not stuff that was already in there but we weren't allowed to use because we haven't bought them. Stop selling us games with only half of the content, then selling us the rest of it with your precious DLC.

Last edited by Crusader: 02-20-2010 at 11:42 PM.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:38 AM   #7
john490

@crusader,

I'm with you on the Sins method. I didn't mind coughing up less than €10 for new units and ways of actually playing the game. Mixing up the usual gameplay, adding units and fixes for a few euro was done well and cheap.

With Fallout 3 (I play on ps3) if I want to get the expansions it's €10 per dlc. That's €50 for just 5 "levels" and that's more than I paid for the original! That's just crazy in my opinion.

I'm in favour of the micro expansion/big expansion route. I guess that as long as people are buying these types of dlc we had better start getting used to it. So back at you Gin, yeah money is what's making it spin. Developers want to make money, if it sells they'll do it.

"I mean...
It's like going to a fancy restaurant...ordering a gigantic feast...and having to pay extra for napkins or something."

Oh and best comparison ever

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas