Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Battlefield series

Old 02-21-2010, 07:08 AM   #1
Mouseraider

BFBC2 Spotting

Is it true that the spotting system currently in the demo is going to be the same in the final game?

Will there continue to be markers above a persons head after he is spotted?

I am worried that the current spotting system will render stealth and slowly advancing compleatly useless.

Not long ago I stopped playing ranked css matches and wanted to start playing BF 2 again, then I saw that BC 2 was being released and got quite exited.
I never played BC 1 so the spotting system may work as intended for all I know, but I still think that it sucks compared to the system used in BF 2.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:23 AM   #2
neuromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouseraider View Post

I am worried that the current spotting system will render stealth and slowly advancing compleatly useless.
In order to be spotted you need to be visible within line of sight of an enemy, so if you're being spotted then your attempts at stealth have already failed before you get the triangle above your head. It only lasts for a handful of seconds anyhow and it's a great feature that helps keep the game moving forward by discouraging camping.

If you really don't like the spotting then you can play on Hardcore servers as they don't have the spotting system.

Last edited by neuromancer: 02-21-2010 at 07:25 AM.
neuromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:36 AM   #3
Mouseraider

I just wish there was a middleway, something betwean enabled or disabled.

The spotting system in BF 2 was perfect, or that is atleast what I think.
Mouseraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:36 AM   #4
backroger

Above poster is correct about the spotting mechanism. If you want you can hide again to any enemy so that triagle would disapear (for more than 5-7sec). I think its not permanent....unless you want to do a jihad.

Correct me if i'm wrong with this.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:41 AM   #5
Mouseraider

Correct, the marker will remain for something like 5-7 seconds and then dissapear. But alot of people will just spam the spot key, even I do that because it gives the advantage of not having to keep track of everyone at the same time.

I would prefere to have to use my eyes to spot an enemy instead of just spamming the spot key and if nothing shows then I only have to check behind corners.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:54 AM   #6
Colsey

I think the spotting is fairly well done. It has enough of a delay you can't really just sit and SPAMSPAMSPAM...

I love the fact there isn't a commander sitting somewhere with his map out either spamming spot and highlighting me on the minimap :>
Colsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:54 AM   #7
zomgzomg

I think it's pretty much the same as it was always. Now you simply get a visual indication without having to look at the map - I guess it makes it a little bit easier (and a whole lot for beginners), but I don't think it breaks things that much.

On a side note, I do hope the spotting system will get tuned for final. I have had multiple occasions where a guy is clearly in sights, and despite hitting Q nothing happens. On other occasions, it spots multiple people by just looking at their general direction.
zomgzomg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:51 AM   #8
Mau1wurf1977

Spotting is really well done and IMO more realistic and play friendly...

Nobody in RL runs around with a radar...

You can still sneak around, especially if the enemy is distracted with defending an objective for example.

Just needs some coordination.
Mau1wurf1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:21 AM   #9
Lio

What spotting bascily do is promote teamplay when playing with randoms. You dont have voice com or super diciplined people who follow orders.

So the least you can do is "spot somone" and then the other people around you can react to him.

And seriously if your stealthy how the hell can you then be spottet? its a contradiction. You have to be seen to be spotted
Lio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:23 AM   #10
Maizel

It's not just to discourage camping.

It;s a good way to tell your squad and teammates the position of enemies, armor, and the like. I like the feature, it adds to the situational awaresness.
Maizel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:41 AM   #11
Mau1wurf1977

Spotting is awesome. I have seen it work so often. Someone manages to make it into your camp. Spot him and your team makes mince meat out of him :-)

I often see people not spotting the enemy, taking them on, then dying and the objective is taken :-(
Old 02-21-2010, 10:42 AM   #12
Devil_Spawn

Quote:
I just wish there was a middleway, something betwean enabled or disabled.

The spotting system in BF 2 was perfect, or that is atleast what I think.
there is, its a server option
Devil_Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:44 AM   #13
Overt.Enemy

Quote:
Is it true that the spotting system currently in the demo is going to be the same in the final game?

Will there continue to be markers above a persons head after he is spotted?
Well GOD I hope not. That's just ridiculous.
Overt.Enemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:48 AM   #14
Mouseraider

As it is now you just have to be somewhere within a persons field of view for the spotting to work. While sprinting forward I mearly spam "q" and some sniper hiding in a bush surrounded by trees on a hill will instantly be spotted even if I was actually looking at the middle of the hill.

Yesterday while running forward a sniper was sitting on a rooftop where people should not be able to get, but by spotting him I instantly saw that he was there, even though I was focusion on people on the ground.

The spotting feature should only show people for what they are if you have your crosshair on them. If you mearly use the spot button without actually aiming at an enemy, it should do what it does in BF2 and add a question marker on the minimap.

Hiding in plain sight have always worked in games, people do not see you in the midst of a battle because they are focusing on places where people usually are, and it will work in BC2 once people have been playing for 6 or more months. Unless they keep those damn markers that are placed above our heads, then the game will just lack tactics and be a rush game.

Last edited by Mouseraider: 02-21-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:50 AM   #15
Mau1wurf1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overt.Enemy View Post
Well GOD I hope not. That's just ridiculous.
You know there is a unlock for snipers that spots people? It's like auto spotting scope...

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Battlefield series