Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Old 02-24-2010, 01:02 PM   #1
Malokalbut

Uninstall Steam

Hi.

I have some troubles with Steam:

I've bought a game in a shop(Empire : Total War) and I had to install steam in order to play the game.

I was forced to register, and even now, if I'm not online when I start the game, Steam blocks it.

So, what need I to do to play the game I've bought without having Steam software on my computer and without being online ? (uninstalling or else ?)

Thx for the future answers.

Last edited by Malokalbut: 02-24-2010 at 01:41 PM.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:11 PM   #2
pizzahut

For single player (and LAN games) you can use Steam's Offline Mode.
pizzahut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:19 PM   #3
natemckn

Empire: Total War requires Steam to be running to play. You must log in to the Steam account you registered the game and launch it once, then you can use Steam's offline mode to play the game without connecting to the internet for an indefinite amount of time after that
natemckn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:20 PM   #4
ZeroDarkHundred

Banned
Steam is software and it's required for the game to work.

I suggest you actualyl read whats written on the back of the game box next time.
ZeroDarkHundred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:50 PM   #5
Xeph

I'm going to assume you are new to using steam. So I'll explain what you need to do, and why.

You need to have steam running to be able to play steam games. There is an offline mode that you can enable.

Just open up the main steam window (The one that shows the steam store/community/games etc)

Click on "File"
then click on "Go Offline"

You don't require to be connected to the internet to switch modes. If you have steam running, and your not connected to the internet or your internet isn't stable enough to be online, a pop-up will appear asking if you want to play in offline mode. Just click yes.

The reason for this is that most games on Steam use VAC (Valve Anti-Cheat) which is required to be enabled while playing all Steam Games. Also, Steam collects game information as you play. Don't worry, it doesn't collect personal data other than your game stats, system specifications, and internet specifications, so there isn't really a privacy issue. This data is collected for developing and security reasons.

To go back to online mode, just do the same as you would to go offline, except the option "Go Offline" will be "Go Online"
Xeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:51 PM   #6
Malokalbut

(thx pizzahut)

Zero : I read the back of my game box, and it's not written that I need to keep Steam on my computer. My game box just tell me that "a free steam account is needed to activate the game" (not to play it)

(thx Xeph too, and yes, I'm new with steam)

@ Xeph : "Steam collects game information as you play. Don't worry, it doesn't collect personal data other ..."

I know but I'm still worried about it. I used to avoid giving any personal data on internet (for me or my family) ... That's why I feel bad about it.

Last edited by Malokalbut: 02-24-2010 at 02:01 PM.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion