Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series

Old 02-27-2010, 03:13 PM   #1
noctroglyph

Exclamation How to fix CoP "X-Ray 1.6 engine stopped working" crash

If anyone else was having issues with even getting into the game, it looks like it is due to the fact that STALKER: CoP is not compatible with the Steam in-game overlay yet.

To get yourself into the game, in Steam, go to File->Settings, then click the [in-game] tab.

Uncheck the "[ ]Enable Steam Community in-game" box.

STALKER:CoP should now run.

Note: this only fixes the problem where you can't even see the loading splash screen, not the in-game issues others are posting.

$0.02: This is kind of a HUGE oversight here...you'd think someone would have checked that Steam Community worked before putting CoP up on Steam. :/

~noc~

Old 02-27-2010, 06:01 PM   #2
ravage386

Has anyone given the beta overlay a test? I think I'll try that out now even though i haven't been having any issues with CoP.
ravage386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:38 PM   #3
Sgt.Gotee

Thanks, marked one.

And yes, I've tried both the old and new Steam UI and was causing a crash on startup. I'm using a retail copy of Call of Pripyat, only added through non-Steam game.

Last edited by Sgt.Gotee: 02-27-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Sgt.Gotee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:12 PM   #4
noctroglyph

Has this issue been patched out of CoP yet?

Thx.

~noc~
Old 03-17-2010, 01:13 PM   #5
velvetmeds

Banned
considering this problem has been with stalker games since SoC, i doubt that'll ever be fixed.
velvetmeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:42 PM   #6
Xaechireon

Was it? I recall being able to bring up the overlay before. Then some patch broke it.
Xaechireon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:06 AM   #7
TcheQ

I get this issue in CoP if I alt-Tab on the Main Screen. No big deal since CoP takes seconds to load.
TcheQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:43 PM   #8
Kalabalana

My game will not load. Have this issue.
Kalabalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:49 PM   #9
Bad_Motha

Banned
Have you read through these forums at all?
There are plenty of useful work arounds/fixes. Sometimes it's something simple and often related to issues with Steam client.

First things to try are...

- Run Steam as admin.

- Make sure that Steam downloads patch update if you're using SoC or CS games.
You may need to restart Steam for this to occur.

- Try disabling "Steam Community Ingame" option for any STALKER series games.
Then try launching the game.

- Try verify game cache. This should only need to be done if the game worked fine at one time and now suddenly does not load, or it crashes when starting new game or loading a saved game.

- Try looking at the first sticky thread on this forum.

Last edited by Bad_Motha: 01-02-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Bad_Motha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:52 PM   #10
Kalabalana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Motha View Post
Have you read through these forums at all?
There are plenty of useful work arounds/fixes. Sometimes it's something simple and often related to issues with Steam client.

First things to try are...

- Run Steam as admin.

- Make sure that Steam downloads patch update if you're using SoC or CS games.
You may need to restart Steam for this to occur.

- Try disabling "Steam Community Ingame" option for any STALKER series games.
Then try launching the game.

- Try verify game cache. This should only need to be done if the game worked fine at one time and now suddenly does not load, or it crashes when starting new game or loading a saved game.

- Try looking at the first sticky thread on this forum.
Will try the steam community ingame thing, that's a new one for me.
Also, me responding to this thread should be some inclination to the fact that I've clearly been searching the forums.

EDIT: Can't find this Steam community option, is this an ingame option? If so, I cannot disable it, as it is ingame.
Kalabalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:40 PM   #11
Robrecht

Right click on the game's name/icon in the library, select 'properties'.

It should be in the General tab. It's a tickbox above the 'Set Launch Options...' button.
Robrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:48 PM   #12
Haukifile

Has anyone solved the issue where CoP doesn't start under Windows 7 64-bit?

I haven't gotten the game to start a single time with my desktop, and I've basically tried every suggestion I could find on the internet, disabling Steam community, reinstalling, verifying cache, shutting down most background programs, updating drivers, offline mode, running all CoP .exes as admin etc. Every time I try to start the game, it hangs in the splash screen and if I click on it, I get the "X-Ray Engine 1.6 has stopped responding"-message.

Any ideas on what I could do?

I'm running the game on:
Intel Q6600
Nvidia GTS250
4 GB RAM
Win7 64-bit
Old 01-04-2011, 03:33 PM   #13
Bad_Motha

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haukifile View Post
Every time I try to start the game, it hangs in the splash screen and if I click on it, I get the "X-Ray Engine 1.6 has stopped responding"
That happens alot when running it the first time, simply close the game exe (xrEngine.exe) from Task Manager, then relaunch the game. They all run fine under pretty much any OS I've tried. Most here don't have such issues. What seems to be something I find interesting is a majority of people having issues have an Intel-based system. While that probably doesn't mean anything. I never have had an issue running them. Only issue I had was having a problem with SoC or CS running under Vista or Win7 for the first launch, but making sure the latest patch version was installed before launching the games, did the trick for me each time. I noticed that sometimes the Steam versions install with a USER.LTX already present. You most likely will need to delete this file to get the games to launch ok the first time. Also check FSGAME.LTX (in root game folder) and make sure the folder it points to is correct for your OS.

Last edited by Bad_Motha: 01-04-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:13 PM   #14
Haukifile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Motha View Post
That happens alot when running it the first time, simply close the game exe (xrEngine.exe) from Task Manager, then relaunch the game.
Yep, I've tried that tens of times, and haven't gotten beyond the splash screen a single time. Installed it on my Win7 32-bit running laptop, and it's up and running on the first try.

It seems that the executable hasn't even created any logfile when it crashes, or at least I have yet to find one anywhere on the system.

The only you mentioned I haven't tried is editing fsgame.ltx, but I really have no idea what I could change there.

It seems that everytime I start the game xrengine runs, takes up a bit over 32 megs of memory and hangs there.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:35 PM   #15
Bad_Motha

Banned
Then it's possible the install on your Win7 64bit machine is corrupted.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series