Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Battlefield series

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 04:07 AM   #1
GrimCreaper
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Reputation: 22
Posts: 204
how to increase fps/decrease sluggishness in BC2?

My system isnt the greatest, but its still a decent gaming comp.

im running an e6600, ati 4870 OC, 3 gigs of ram, and win Vista x32.

i can run crysis on a combo of med and some high with only a few fps dips in areas with tons of stuff going on.

this game i cant even run in all low at 1650x1080. the framerate stays at about 25 with bad stuttering every other second or so.

is there anything i can do to easily increase fps (WITHOUT buying a computer upgrade) ?
GrimCreaper is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:08 AM   #2
Bungle
 
Banned
Join Date: Dec 2008
Reputation: 107
Posts: 1,045
Update your video driver? Your framerate should be a whoooole lot higher than what you're getting.
Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:12 AM   #3
GrimCreaper
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Reputation: 22
Posts: 204
ill give that a shot. its been a couple months since i last did that.
GrimCreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:14 AM   #4
rwfry
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Reputation: 24
Posts: 261
play around with the renderaheadlimit value in your settings.ini
rwfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:14 AM   #5
Darkness135
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimCreaper View Post
ill give that a shot. its been a couple months since i last did that.
google for the 10.3 preview driver. It is a lot better for fps than 10.1 or 10.2 drivers.

I have 4870 stock, core2duo 3.16, 4gb DDR3, W7 x64, and run game all high with 2x AA and 4x other (I forget its name, but its early haha)with a 90 horizontal FOV at 1920x1080 at 30 to 50 fps.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:33 AM   #6
Soviet_Panda
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Reputation: 28
Posts: 275
You'd be surprised as to how much performance gain you can get if you lower the anisotropic filtering.
Soviet_Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:43 AM   #7
GrimCreaper
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Reputation: 22
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness135 View Post
google for the 10.3 preview driver. It is a lot better for fps than 10.1 or 10.2 drivers.

I have 4870 stock, core2duo 3.16, 4gb DDR3, W7 x64, and run game all high with 2x AA and 4x other (I forget its name, but its early haha)with a 90 horizontal FOV at 1920x1080 at 30 to 50 fps.
will check that out, im assuming the preview drievrs are equivalent to Nvidias beta drivers?


panda: ive turned AA and AF to 1, it didnt seem to affect the performance at any setting.

rwfry: on low settings the render ahead is already very low it seems. things barely start picking up the decent textures when im about 5 feet from them or so. anything beyond that except the player models look absolutely horrible.
GrimCreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:49 AM   #8
Wanny1
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Reputation: 4
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet_Panda View Post
You'd be surprised as to how much performance gain you can get if you lower the anisotropic filtering.
AF? Give me a break lol
Wanny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:50 AM   #9
pisanbon
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Reputation: 2
Posts: 247
I use the same card as you hd4870 512mo with an amd phenom II x4 955

i can play that game in 1920x1080 at around 60fps with that setting

[WindowSettings]
Width=1920
Height=1080
Fullscreen=true
RefreshRate=60
VSync=true
[Sound]
Quality=medium
VoipEnable=true
[Graphics]
Effects=low
Soldiers=low
Vehicles=low
Overgrowth=low
Undergrowth=low
StaticObjects=low
Terrain=low
Shadows=low
Bloom=true
HSAO=true
MSAA=1
Water=low
MainQuality=custom
Texture=low
DxVersion=auto
Aniso=4
Detail=low

i set graphic detail in low coz its not a big matter, its stay a beautiful game even in low details

little screenshot to let you see how this setting are in game.
http://l-rose.net/bfbc2/BFBC2Game%20...1-21-15-05.bmp
http://l-rose.net/bfbc2/BFBC2Game%20...1-24-01-31.bmp

Last edited by pisanbon: 03-03-2010 at 04:53 AM.
pisanbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:52 AM   #10
Darkness135
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
Also check what is running in the background, despite the fact I should have memory to leave firefox running and other stuff. When I do games (particularly new games), I close everything non-essential.

Here are my specific settings, appears I was a bit mistaken:
[WindowSettings]
Width=1920
Height=1080
Fullscreen=true
RefreshRate=60
VSync=true

[Graphics]
Effects=high
Soldiers=high
Vehicles=high
Overgrowth=high
Undergrowth=high
StaticObjects=high
Terrain=high
Shadows=high
Bloom=true
HSAO=true
MSAA=2
Water=high
MainQuality=custom
Texture=high
DxVersion=auto
Aniso=2
Detail=high
RenderAheadLimit=2
Fov=59.000004 (is vertical FOV, game reads and adjusts to create horizontal FOV)
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:54 AM   #11
Fatwa
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimCreaper View Post
My system isnt the greatest, but its still a decent gaming comp.

im running an e6600, ati 4870 OC, 3 gigs of ram, and win Vista x32.

i can run crysis on a combo of med and some high with only a few fps dips in areas with tons of stuff going on.

this game i cant even run in all low at 1650x1080. the framerate stays at about 25 with bad stuttering every other second or so.

is there anything i can do to easily increase fps (WITHOUT buying a computer upgrade) ?
Random side note, if you have the 1GB version of the GPU, and you have the 64-bit install disc for Vista, I'd make the switch. You're robbing yourself of memory with your current setup (if you're at 1GB on the GPU).
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:59 AM   #12
Darkness135
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by pisanbon View Post
I use the same card as you hd4870 512mo with an amd phenom II x4 955

i can play that game in 1920x1080 at around 60fps with that setting

[WindowSettings]
Width=1920
Height=1080
Fullscreen=true
RefreshRate=60
VSync=true
[Sound]
Quality=medium
VoipEnable=true
[Graphics]
Effects=low
Soldiers=low
Vehicles=low
Overgrowth=low
Undergrowth=low
StaticObjects=low
Terrain=low
Shadows=low
Bloom=true
HSAO=true
MSAA=1
Water=low
MainQuality=custom
Texture=low
DxVersion=auto
Aniso=4
Detail=low

i set graphic detail in low coz its not a big matter, its stay a beautiful game even in low details

little screenshot to let you see how this setting are in game.
http://l-rose.net/bfbc2/BFBC2Game%20...1-21-15-05.bmp
http://l-rose.net/bfbc2/BFBC2Game%20...1-24-01-31.bmp
No offense, but stuff looks like crap (in a relative sense) to the high version (so if you can get playable fps (average human eye cant detect fps above 25) you should increase settings)

let me take a screeny, 1 sec.

Hmm, actually anyone know a free image site that allows 1080p files? (so larger file size/quality restrictions) I know photobucket wont allow these files due to size.

Last edited by Darkness135: 03-03-2010 at 05:05 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:05 AM   #13
Yomommassis
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Reputation: 32
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness135 View Post
No offense, but stuff looks like crap (in a relative sense) to the high version (so if you can get playable fps (average human eye cant detect fps above 25) you should increase settings)

let me take a screeny, 1 sec.
im sure that the human eye cant detet over 25 fps

but to come from playing mw2 at 120+ fps to playing bc2 at 30-40 fps..regardles of the eye being able to detect it..its going to be noticable..the game just feels sluggish compared to the high frame rate of other games

i to turn down settings in order to get more frames

the difference of being in a shootout with 25-35fps and 50-60fps is winning the fight or losing the fight
Yomommassis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:07 AM   #14
p00ndawg
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness135 View Post
No offense, but stuff looks like crap (in a relative sense) to the high version (so if you can get playable fps (average human eye cant detect fps above 25) you should increase settings)

let me take a screeny, 1 sec.

Hmm, actually anyone know a free image site that allows 1080p files? (so larger file size/quality restrictions) I know photobucket wont allow these files due to size.
yes it can you noob
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:09 AM   #15
Darkness135
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yomommassis View Post
im sure that the human eye cant detet over 25 fps

but to come from playing mw2 at 120+ fps to playing bc2 at 30-40 fps..regardles of the eye being able to detect it..its going to be noticable..the game just feels sluggish compared to the high frame rate of other games

i to turn down settings in order to get more frames

the difference of being in a shootout with 25-35fps and 50-60fps is winning the fight or losing the fight
The only reason you "feel" sluggishness is by seeing the number drop and thus you will psychosematically "feel" a drop by seeing one. If you didn't know the fps in either game, you likely wouldnt tell a difference at 30 in comparison to 60. 25 is debateable, especially since (on average) gamers tend to be younger folk and thus generally tend to do better than average.

If the human eye cant detect anything above 25 its like saying there is a difference between 60 fps and 100 fps (on a 60hz monitor). The monitor (like the eye) cant do anything with those extra frames, so no matter the difference, there is no visible difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p00ndawg View Post
yes it can you noob
My mistake, I meant it doesn't allow it without changing it. It reduces the image quality when you upload. But in anycase, here are my 2 screenies (not same scene).

http://i635.photobucket.com/albums/u...7-03-53-24.jpg
http://s635.photobucket.com/albums/u...7-03-42-13.jpg

Last edited by Darkness135: 03-03-2010 at 05:12 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Battlefield series


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2014, All Rights Reserved.