Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 03-04-2010, 11:25 PM   #1
Mosqeeto

Fastest Australian download region?

Just curious if anyone knew how to make steam either a) download from the fastest region available automatically, or b) tell me which region I would get the best speeds from?

Being from Australia is kinda gay since our internet is pretty terribad, as I type this post I am currently downloading assassins creed 2 at an average of about 300 KB/s(not terrible but not good either). My current ISP is iiNet, iiNet owns Westnet, and Westnet owns the Australian 3FL servers, so naturally I have set my steam download region to my State territory corresponding with a 3FL server.

I understand the system that is currently in place is preferential so it's entirely possible assassins creed 2 is not on the 3FL servers as of yet, therefore I am likely downloading it from somewhere else at 300 KB/s, however what I'm wondering is, Am I getting routed to the fastest possible region available to me OR, am I simply being routed to the next "logical" region?

Since I have fairly decent internet(for an Australian), I was hoping there was some way for me to find the fastest possible download region for steam without having to manually select them all and keep restarting steam.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:16 AM   #2
natemckn

According to this site, Assassin's Creed 2 is currently not hosted in Australia (appID 33230). My understanding of how Steam works is that when you launch it for the first time it locates you geographically based on IP and tries to assign you a download region. Since the game you want is not hosted in your download region I would assume it tries to download from the nearest servers that have it. By doing it this way, Valve can try to get the best download speeds for everyone.

Since you claim to have a decent internet connection, it can't hurt to look at the individual server stats and try to find one with a low load that you can possibly pull more bandwidth from.

Are you asking if Steam checks every content server for the current load and speed available each time you download and dynamically selects one based on the current conditions? If so, I believe the answer is 'no'. That method of doing things might speed up some peoples downloads but a majority would be assigned to local servers anyway and it would put extra load on all of the servers having a ton of clients pinging them (or however it would work). It would also take longer for the download to start on the client side as the Steam client would sit at 'determining best download server...' for a few minutes before beginning the download.
natemckn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:33 PM   #3
Mosqeeto

I had assumed as much in regards to Assassins Creed, and what you say about Steam taking a while to find the fastest server sounds logical too. I think it would be pretty interesting to hear from someone who can tell us exactly how the current system works.

Thanks for the link, bookmarked it for future use
Old 03-07-2010, 11:20 PM   #4
Mangr0v3

I usually get the fastest downloads from 3FL (NSW), but whenever it's under lots of load (e.g. TF2 update released), I find Internode is faster.

However, that doesn't apply in this case, as you would be downloading AC2 from overseas, as natemckn pointed out.
Mangr0v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:34 PM   #5
natemckn

Update: AC2 is now hosted on GameArena (NSW).
natemckn is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips