Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Oblivion, The Elder Scrolls IV

Old 03-06-2010, 08:34 AM   #1
dazza159

Question Oblivion, Is It Good?

I have been debating this a while, looking at an Xbox 360 version and then saw for cheaper i can get Oblivion GOTY deluxe for £19.99.

I played it when it first come out, only the beginning when you kill your first enemy then mate kicked me off lol.

Is this a good game? What you all think and is it worth me purchasing it? Also are there any issues and problems that i should be aware of?

Many Thanks,

DaZZa
Old 03-06-2010, 08:48 AM   #2
Evolon

Banned
19 euro for this game is a steal, so yes you should buy it

The graphics look amazing.
Most realistic and beautifull nature environment that I 've ever seen in a game.
Lots and lots of freedom, you do what you want, when you want. the choice is yours.
Combat is a lil strange, but is pretty nice, but could 've been much better.. depending on what you like in combat

Cons :
The skill system sux.
The controls are made for console and feels like having a serious handicap when playing it on pc.
Evolon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:48 AM   #3
mesaone

its a GREAT game, in my opinion. But I think you would be better off buying the XBOX version if your PC isn't relatively high-end. The reason I say this is your PC must have a powerful graphics card to run this game on higher settings.

The XBOX version stikes a balance between visuals and performance. You can have Oblivion running on higher settings on your PC, but the framerate will be lower than that of the XBOX.

Just a reference -- here's how oblivion performs for me.

NVIDIA GTX275 overclocked
Intel q9550 quad-core 2.83gHz
Vista Home Premium

Oblivion settings are on high (not the highest, but almost) and I have HDR enabled, no anti-aliasing, running at 1920x1080 resolution) and I am clocking anywhere from 25 fps in some open areas to 60+ in smaller areas.

So consider how well the PC version might run for you. If your PC can do well with it, then I recommend the PC version - mods and whatnot.
mesaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:35 AM   #4
dazza159

Thanks, I can play fallout 3 on the highest settings across the board if that is any relevance? My computer is not the best but it is incredible what i can play with it, crysis on high with no faults, farcry 2 on ultra with dx 10, hell most games i run on high like MW2 etc etc

I have: -

ASUS Nvidia GeForce 9500GT Super Top (Overclocked)
4GB 667Mhz RAM
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz
Windows 7 84x bit

I know you will think im lying but im not lol, my machine surprises me
dazza159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:02 AM   #5
mesaone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza159 View Post
Thanks, I can play fallout 3 on the highest settings across the board if that is any relevance?
Yup, that is of the utmost relevance -- both Fallout3 and Oblivion are on the same engine. As far as I can tell, Fallout3 is more optimized, but Oblivion will perform nearly as well, as long as you go through the ini files and change a few things around to optimize it -- and there are performance mods.

Check out these 3 things, they have helped me get oblivion running nicely:

http://www.oblivionmodwiki.com/index...n_Optimization
http://www.tweakguides.com/Oblivion_1.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/95...mization-guide

I didnt follow ALL the suggestions in the guide (i left blood decals on high and some other things) but all the info helps alot.

And I should encourage you to get familiar with Oblivion Mod Manager (OBMM) and Oblivion Script Extender (obse) so you can use alot of the mods/tweaks/replacements that are out there.

OBSE: http://obse.silverlock.org/
OBSE loader that works with steam (will work with any OBSE version, even beta): http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...4&postcount=42
OBMM: http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2097

Last edited by mesaone: 03-06-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:29 AM   #6
dazza159

Thanks + rep

I have purchased this game now and downloading it, thank you a lot for the links , much appreciated
dazza159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:21 PM   #7
mesaone

no problem, thanks for the rep! if you need any help getting the mods working, or help with OBMM and OBSE just send me a PM. I've found a great combination of mods for my first playthrough -- mods that don't change the gameplay but still improve my experience (minimap, landscape LOD replacement, torch mod, etc) and I would be glad to help you out.

Have fun!
Old 03-09-2010, 02:56 PM   #8
smartgunnoob

OMFG yes this is the best damn game you will ever buy do not get it on xbox. It is 10x better for the PC soooooo much more stuff you can do. I got it for the xbox and loved it got it for the PC and my pant at how good it was best $25 i ever spent.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:42 AM   #9
spyrochaete

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
its a GREAT game, in my opinion. But I think you would be better off buying the XBOX version if your PC isn't relatively high-end. The reason I say this is your PC must have a powerful graphics card to run this game on higher settings.
This game is over 4 years old now. A modern low end PC can play this game no problem (though integrated graphics may require you to turn down the settings).

Do NOT buy this game for consoles! Mods make this great game a million times better! If you do happen to have a more powerful PC you will be delighted by the high resolution texture mods and other graphical improvements made by the community!
spyrochaete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:48 AM   #10
mesaone

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyrochaete View Post
This game is over 4 years old now. A modern low end PC can play this game no problem (though integrated graphics may require you to turn down the settings).
Even though the game is 4 years old, it is still a very demanding game. To keep a high FPS (high enough for most people to feel comfortable with, 30-60 FPS) you do need a higher end graphics card.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:48 PM   #11
Kowl Slaw

Seriously, I ing love this game.

Everybody should get it, I've made all my friends.
Kowl Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:30 AM   #12
Maury

Thank you a lot for the links for optimization Oblivion.
Maury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:21 AM   #13
mesaone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maury View Post
Thank you a lot for the links for optimization Oblivion.
so you got a few more FPS with it?
Old 03-15-2010, 06:44 AM   #14
Grunt7684

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
Even though the game is 4 years old, it is still a very demanding game. To keep a high FPS (high enough for most people to feel comfortable with, 30-60 FPS) you do need a higher end graphics card.
This is absolutely true. I remember when it came out, the highest end PCs with SLI gfx were completely unable to run the game at high settings with decent framerates.
Grunt7684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:45 PM   #15
Asuterisuku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunt7684 View Post
This is absolutely true. I remember when it came out, the highest end PCs with SLI gfx were completely unable to run the game at high settings with decent framerates.
And look at how much technology's evolved in the last four years. I remember when it first came out, and my friend was showing me just how pretty it was on relatively low settings, and he explained that they were on low because, and I quote, "If I turn these up, it will lag any ing computer." Now I'm running it max settings all around, HDR, DoF, the works, and only the most graphically intensive areas - read "Forests" - slow my computer down at all.
Asuterisuku is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Oblivion, The Elder Scrolls IV