Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Old 03-08-2010, 10:18 AM   #1
heffebaycay

Volunteer Moderator
Steam for Mac is official !

VALVE TO DELIVER STEAM & SOURCE ON MAC

Leading Gaming Service Expands to Mac Platform

March 8, 2010 - Valve announced today it will bring Steam, Valve's gaming service, and Source, Valve's gaming engine, to the Mac.

Steam and Valve's library of games including Left 4 Dead 2, Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike, Portal, and the Half-Life series will be available in April.

"As we transition from entertainment as a product to entertainment as a service, customers and developers need open, high-quality Internet clients," said Gabe Newell, President of Valve. "The Mac is a great platform for entertainment services."

"Our Steam partners, who are delivering over a thousand games to 25 million Steam clients, are very excited about adding support for the Mac," said Jason Holtman, Director of Business Development at Valve. "Steamworks for the Mac supports all of the Steamworks APIs, and we have added a new feature, called Steam Play, which allows customers who purchase the product for the Mac or Windows to play on the other platform free of charge. For example, Steam Play, in combination with the Steam Cloud, allows a gamer playing on their work PC to go home and pick up playing the same game at the same point on their home Mac. We expect most developers and publishers to take advantage of Steam Play."

"We looked at a variety of methods to get our games onto the Mac and in the end decided to go with native versions rather than emulation," said John Cook, Director of Steam Development. "The inclusion of WebKit into Steam, and of OpenGL into Source gives us a lot of flexibility in how we move these technologies forward. We are treating the Mac as a tier-1 platform so all of our future games will release simultaneously on Windows, Mac, and the Xbox 360. Updates for the Mac will be available simultaneously with the Windows updates. Furthermore, Mac and Windows players will be part of the same multiplayer universe, sharing servers, lobbies, and so forth. We fully support a heterogeneous mix of servers and clients. The first Mac Steam client will be the new generation currently in beta testing on Windows."

Portal 2 will be Valve's first simultaneous release for Mac and Windows. "Checking in code produces a PC build and Mac build at the same time, automatically, so the two platforms are perfectly in lock-step," said Josh Weier, Portal 2 Project Lead. "We're always playing a native version on the Mac right alongside the PC. This makes it very easy for us and for anyone using Source to do game development for the Mac."
Old 03-08-2010, 10:27 AM   #2
Icaras

YES YES YES! At last!
Icaras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:30 AM   #3
Icaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbc View Post
...and we have added a new feature, called Steam Play, which allows customers who purchase the product for the Mac or Windows to play on the other platform free of charge. For example, Steam Play, in combination with the Steam Cloud, allows a gamer playing on their work PC to go home and pick up playing the same game at the same point on their home Mac. We expect most developers and publishers to take advantage of Steam Play."
Oh, and this is by far the the coolest feature yet.

This pretty much answers all my prayers. All the games that I own on my Steam account that have Mac counterparts are mine to download and play for free on OS X. AND gameplay is saved between both platforms.

Thank you Valve!

Edit: So when will the Steam OS X client be available?

Last edited by Icaras: 03-08-2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:34 AM   #4
Ciaos

Great for Mac gamers. Still won't game on mine though, a 9400 really doesn't cut it for games.
Ciaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:41 AM   #5
BraidFan

why it haven't been update yet on Steam news?
BraidFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:47 AM   #6
Washell

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbc View Post
We expect most developers and publishers to take advantage of Steam Play."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icaras View Post
All the games that I own on my Steam account that have Mac counterparts are mine to download and play for free on OS X.
Expect and most, the only thing you know for sure at this moment is that Valve games will work like this. Assuming all games with current or future Mac ports will go this way at this stage is a big one.
Washell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:47 AM   #7
GHRobson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraidFan View Post
why it haven't been update yet on Steam news?
Perhaps they are preparing some fancy webpage with screenshots and stuff?
Old 03-08-2010, 10:54 AM   #8
S|mon

Source?
S|mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:56 AM   #9
Icaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washell View Post
Expect and most, the only thing you know for sure at this moment is that Valve games will work like this. Assuming all games with current or future Mac ports will go this way at this stage is a big one.
Thanks for pointing this out. I really hope mac game developers support this in a big way then.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:57 AM   #10
Justin7

Source needed.

Edit: Found it it's on shacknews:

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/62687
Justin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:58 AM   #11
eisnerguy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by S|mon View Post
Source?
http://gizmodo.com/5488383/steam-com...free-of-charge
Old 03-08-2010, 10:59 AM   #12
Hoffman

Doug Lombardi press release

http://www.halflife2.net/2010/03/08/...ce-to-the-mac/
Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:06 AM   #13
ragga77

Wait, so does this mean Source games that I've purchased in the past when I had a PC will be able to play on my Mac?
I'm really unclear on that part :/
Old 03-08-2010, 11:09 AM   #14
GHRobson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragga77 View Post
Wait, so does this mean Source games that I've purchased in the past when I had a PC will be able to play on my Mac?
I'm really unclear on that part :/
Yes you can download the games that have Mac versions for free if you already own the PC version
Old 03-08-2010, 11:12 AM   #15
ragga77

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHRobson View Post
Yes you can download the games that have Mac versions for free if you already own the PC version
That's alright then I was slightly worried since in the Press Release, they said about when you buy a new game the Steamworks would allow you to play them on either platform but was worried when nothing was said about past purchases.

But thanks for clearing that up

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion